The 9.11 Second AMV Project

Discussion & organization of Multi-Editor Projects
Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Location: I wonder if you know how they live in Tokyo... DRIFT, DRIFT, DRIFT
Org Profile

The 9.11 Second AMV Project

Post by Kionon » Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:27 pm

A decade ago there were two AMV short projects, 7.53 and 8.47. The idea was to create an AMV that was exactly 7.53 or 8.47 seconds long. This is possible because of the way most editing software displays information on timelines. 7.53 was completed, but 8.47 sort of died. I still have a number of the individual 8.47 entries and I tried to work with Skylink to have the 8.47 compilation released, but it never happened.

9.11 is the previously agreed to third installment. Originally supposed to premiere in 2008, pushed back to 2009, people just didn't get their tracks in. So what is the point of 9.11? Well, the original idea was to make something--anything, really--using only 9.11 seconds of source material. The reference of this particular number is clear, even to non-Americans, although as I'll explain later, it doesn't necessarily mean entries have to be godix-style dark humor. The only rules were that the video must be properly formatted and must be exactly 9.11 seconds long. The problem with this description is that some users mistook it for a take-off on AMV Hell (it's not), and confused it with other projects around AMV shorts and MEPs with short tracks.

So let me clarify, while most of the entries to 7.53, 8.47, and 9.11 have been comedy/parody tracks, this is not required. In fact, for many of the usual suspects who work in comedy/parody most of the time, choosing to do a serious, sentimental, or romance segment in 9.11 seconds is likely to be a much more challenging endeavour and this is highly encouraged.

Okay, here are the details:

Length of tracks: 9.11 seconds
Number of tracks that may be submitted by one user: infinite
Quality: Bestest you can get, I reserve the right the kick out tracks that would create too jarring of a difference when compared to other segments.
Resolution: 848x480 (if you're using 4:3 source, be creative with your letterboxing space)
Codec: HuffYUV for video, uncompressed or IMA PCM for audio. I'm a Mac editor, and HuffYUV is something I know works on my system and also works on windows systems. I think UT Video would also work, and I'm open to adding other lossless formats if people can convince me they are cross-platform.
Framerate: 29.97

DEADLINE: November 30th, 2016.

Volunteers for op and ed sequences would be appreciated, same rules apply, clearly. I will take care of the transitions, the final project file, the org entry, and any con submissions. Submissions from 8.47, if they still exist (beyond what I already have in my personal archives) are welcome, and will be retooled into a psuedo release of 8.47 as well. Due to the nature of various contests, the tracks must be org-able (no NSFW content, no extreme gore, etc). I may censor based on contest rules.

I have completed tracks from:

mirkosp
GloryQuestor
ihavethedeathnote
Copycat_Revolver
Myself

Ganbatte, minna-san! FIGHTO!

ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

exkcal
Org Profile

Re: The 9.11 Second AMV Project

Post by exkcal » Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:22 pm

I'll try to get atleast one in.

jt_x
Org Profile

Post by jt_x » Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:40 am

Kionon wrote: [...] I think UT Video would also work, and I'm open to adding other lossless formats if people can convince me they are cross-platform.
Framerate: 29.97 [...]
I'm getting mixed signals here. Can I send you a UT Video file or not ? On VideoHelp it's listed as works on Windows/Mac so it probably works on Mac I would think... :shrug:

I personally only use UT Video since that seems to be the only lossless codec that still gets regular updates.

edit: I sent my ut video file yay |:>

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Org Profile

Post by Kionon » Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:41 pm

Il'l make it work. So now, that's a submission from JT, and a commit from excal.

Let's go people. You've still got like six weeks.
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

Mol
Strawberry Pie
Org Profile

Post by Mol » Fri Oct 14, 2016 4:04 pm

Leaving a note so I won't forget. Something to consider o;.
Still better than that MMO.

jt_x
Org Profile

Post by jt_x » Sat Oct 15, 2016 6:19 am

Mol wrote:Leaving a note so I won't forget. Something to consider o;.
yay |:>

edit: I sent 3 new videos :up:

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Org Profile

Post by Kionon » Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:41 pm

I now have three more entries from jt_x, come on people, get your entries in. Make fractional second AMVs great again!
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Org Profile

Post by Kionon » Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:39 pm

One month warning! ONE MONTH. 30 days. Let's go!
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

Return to “Multi-Editor Projects”