I have a dream...

Discussion & organization of Multi-Editor Projects
badmartialarts
Bad Martial Artist
Org Profile

I have a dream...

Post by badmartialarts » Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:00 am

More of an idea than a dream. This idea was spawned long, long ago....

I don't remember the originator, but there was a maxim floating around the boards and chat room that any song, ANY SONG, could be crafted into an AMV. I know it brewed many arguments and truly bizarre creations as challenges, but I have always believed this is true. I actually believe in a stronger rule, one I like to call Lain's Law:

ANY SONG CAN BE PAIRED WITH THE ANIME SERIAL EXPERIMENTS LAIN. ANY SONG.

While I've believed this truth, I have not actually experimented to determine it's veracity. That's where I formed my idea. My dream.

I call it a Lain-off (that's a working title).

A small team of creative and extremely open-minded editors are assembled. Editor 1 chooses another editor in the group, and gives that editor a song. That editor must then offer either a deadline for their completion of an AMV using as much of that song set to Lain as they can or a pass. If they pass, that editor chooses a different editor (not Editor 1) and a song (which may be the same song, the point is that I don't believe you can pick a song that is unmeldable to Lain). No editor may choose the editor who chose them (until the final two). Any editor who passes twice is out of the competition, they could not handle the challenge. Theoretically this could last forever although I have a feeling the songs chosen will get obnoxious enough to wipe out participants quite quickly. It might not last one round. :)

What this isn't: Iron Chef. I think a reasonable timeframe for video completion is fine, but not crazy long. No more than a month per video? That might be too long. Also there is no source flexibility here. It's Lain. Also, I wouldn't expect people to use the full song. A two to three minute piece is sufficient, especially if the song offered is in the 20-30 minute range (Lain set to Die Walkure? Sure, the whole 5 hours....no, we are reasonable men and women here.)

The idea is not to intimidate, but to expand one's views. By limiting oneself to an anime which is mostly static scenes of people staring into empty space, you have to learn to make more with less.

Any ideas and suggestions? I am open to ridicule as well. :O I have no idea if this is a good idea or something I should have filed away.
Life's short.
eBayhard.

TwilightChrono
Org Profile

Re: I have a dream...

Post by TwilightChrono » Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:26 am

badmartialarts wrote:More of an idea than a dream. This idea was spawned long, long ago....

I don't remember the originator, but there was a maxim floating around the boards and chat room that any song, ANY SONG, could be crafted into an AMV. I know it brewed many arguments and truly bizarre creations as challenges, but I have always believed this is true. I actually believe in a stronger rule, one I like to call Lain's Law:

ANY SONG CAN BE PAIRED WITH THE ANIME SERIAL EXPERIMENTS LAIN. ANY SONG.

While I've believed this truth, I have not actually experimented to determine it's veracity. That's where I formed my idea. My dream.

I call it a Lain-off (that's a working title).

A small team of creative and extremely open-minded editors are assembled. Editor 1 chooses another editor in the group, and gives that editor a song. That editor must then offer either a deadline for their completion of an AMV using as much of that song set to Lain as they can or a pass. If they pass, that editor chooses a different editor (not Editor 1) and a song (which may be the same song, the point is that I don't believe you can pick a song that is unmeldable to Lain). No editor may choose the editor who chose them (until the final two). Any editor who passes twice is out of the competition, they could not handle the challenge. Theoretically this could last forever although I have a feeling the songs chosen will get obnoxious enough to wipe out participants quite quickly. It might not last one round. :)

What this isn't: Iron Chef. I think a reasonable timeframe for video completion is fine, but not crazy long. No more than a month per video? That might be too long. Also there is no source flexibility here. It's Lain. Also, I wouldn't expect people to use the full song. A two to three minute piece is sufficient, especially if the song offered is in the 20-30 minute range (Lain set to Die Walkure? Sure, the whole 5 hours....no, we are reasonable men and women here.)

The idea is not to intimidate, but to expand one's views. By limiting oneself to an anime which is mostly static scenes of people staring into empty space, you have to learn to make more with less.

Any ideas and suggestions? I am open to ridicule as well. :O I have no idea if this is a good idea or something I should have filed away.
I actually think this is a very fun idea. It's a cool concept that I haven't really seen that much of in a few years.

Though I would have to say that this would REALLY be suited as a org hosted competition. Maybe send a PM to Radical_yue about hosting this as an org contest. Make a ladder sheet and fill it up as people apply. Then start the pair off. Like, the 2 who face each other both make an AMV to a song using lain. A set of judges determines which is better and that said person moves on. It's really the only way I can see it being done. As it can get kinda unruly and the competiton would start looking more of a mess than it should.

I actually verily approve of this idea and would be happy to enter if ole Rad is able to help you get things up and running. Hell, if I didn't enter, I would be more than happy to be a judge.

You should definitly send this idea out and try to get it org hosted.
Premiering At Another Anime Con 2012

badmartialarts
Bad Martial Artist
Org Profile

Post by badmartialarts » Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:09 am

We shall see. I am super busy with school these days.
Life's short.
eBayhard.

seasons
Org Profile

Post by seasons » Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:08 pm

why does everything have to be a contest here

can't we just get together and make something for fun?

Return to “Multi-Editor Projects”