Valkyrie Studios Open Auditions!

Discussion & organization of Multi-Editor Projects
DarkSnow
Org Profile

Valkyrie Studios Open Auditions!

Post by DarkSnow » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:09 am

Hello! I'm here to let everyone know that Valkyrie Studios, a small MEP group on youtube, is now taking auditions for new members. If you'd like to join, follow this link (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mj8mKC5Idag) and submit an AMV as a video response. All the rules are in the video, but I'll reiterate them anyways.

1. Anime only - No manga/non-anime source

2. A raw Editing style is preferred.

3. Professional programs only, no WMM or Imovie or any of that stupid stuff. (No offense if you use those programs, we all started somewhere)

4. Audition video must be between 20sec - 1min long.

5. Please post audition as a video response on the youtube video if possible, If not, please PM the channel.

6. You must be active! Always respond to PM's from the channel, You don't need to be in every MEP if you don't want to, just let us know!

Alrighty, so the rules are a little more, well thought out on the video, so go there! Also, I should let y'all know that I'm not the leader of this studio, so if you have any questions, there are a few links on the video to take you to the leaders channel. But anywho, come join us and have some fun! Good luck to all that enter!

TwilightChrono
Org Profile

Re: Valkyrie Studios Open Auditions!

Post by TwilightChrono » Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:03 am

For starters, I find it kind of mean to say no WMM editors are allowed. I've seen some damn good AMV's using that program. Even though I use Sony Vegas and After Effects and Photoshop, I could pull up WMM and punch out a video and you wouldn't think it was even made with WMM. It's not about the program but about your knowledge of said program and skill. Also, it's about fun. You also do realize that a lot of commercials you see on TV are made using WMM right? Sounds pretty professional to me.

I'm leader of Studio Vantype, and I've never put pressure on peopel I've recruited to get used to a new program other than the one they are using. The program you are most comfortable with at that time will render out the best result sof yoru editing since you are most familiar with it. You can always learn a new program over the course of your stay in a Studio. That rule about WMM just urks me. I'm not trying to be rude or mean, I'm just trying to offer a little advice. By saying no WMM, you are drastically cutting audition videos down. Since a majority of people who edit still use that program or only edit for fun using that program. Obviously, WMM is not meant to be a competitive editing program when it comes to AMV competition, but you can still put out some pretty good AMV's using WMM. You'd be surprised. Just saying don't be so quick to judge people using the program or judge the program itself.

The other problem I see is the 20 second minimum bit. Thats not really a good length. You can't really measure skill or anything about the video entered from 20 seconds of footage. Anyone can make 20 seconds look good. It's the long haul you have to look at. Can they maintain flow. Can they keep up a good pace. Do transitions run smoothly, does it tell a story, how are the hard cuts, effects usage and how well you blend them or make them part of the story etc. etc.

Like I said, I'm just offering some advice. I wish you luck in your auditions :)
Premiering At Another Anime Con 2012

humnut
Org Profile

Post by humnut » Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:27 am

TwilightChrono wrote:For starters, I find it kind of mean to say no WMM editors are allowed. I've seen some damn good AMV's using that program. Even though I use Sony Vegas and After Effects and Photoshop, I could pull up WMM and punch out a video and you wouldn't think it was even made with WMM. It's not about the program but about your knowledge of said program and skill. Also, it's about fun. You also do realize that a lot of commercials you see on TV are made using WMM right? Sounds pretty professional to me.

I'm leader of Studio Vantype, and I've never put pressure on peopel I've recruited to get used to a new program other than the one they are using. The program you are most comfortable with at that time will render out the best result sof yoru editing since you are most familiar with it. You can always learn a new program over the course of your stay in a Studio. That rule about WMM just urks me. I'm not trying to be rude or mean, I'm just trying to offer a little advice. By saying no WMM, you are drastically cutting audition videos down. Since a majority of people who edit still use that program or only edit for fun using that program. Obviously, WMM is not meant to be a competitive editing program when it comes to AMV competition, but you can still put out some pretty good AMV's using WMM. You'd be surprised. Just saying don't be so quick to judge people using the program or judge the program itself.

The other problem I see is the 20 second minimum bit. Thats not really a good length. You can't really measure skill or anything about the video entered from 20 seconds of footage. Anyone can make 20 seconds look good. It's the long haul you have to look at. Can they maintain flow. Can they keep up a good pace. Do transitions run smoothly, does it tell a story, how are the hard cuts, effects usage and how well you blend them or make them part of the story etc. etc.

Like I said, I'm just offering some advice. I wish you luck in your auditions :)
First, If your wondering why this is a different account, I stupidly posted this with a friends account, since I let him borrow my laptop for a few days. :oops:

But anyways, yes the rules are a little limiting, but then again I'm just a member of the studio, not the leader. I personally started making AMVs with WMM, so I know what you mean by those coming out well, if you know what your doing. I can't speak for the leader, so I'm not sure why this rule is in effect, but it is.

Also, the 20 second limit, I'm assuming, is so that people can make a video and show their skills within a timely manner. We've been on hiatus and have lost a few members and we're anxious to get back in the game. Plus, it's good to see what people can do within the allotted time, limiting people can provide a challenge, which in the long run can provide a personal benefit.

But yeah, thanks for the advise, and I'll keep it in mind if I ever decide to run my own studio.

pan_dbgt01
Org Profile

Post by pan_dbgt01 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:26 pm

LOL Ya I see what you guys are saying.

Raw editing and NO WMM allowed? Kind of strange.

Return to “Multi-Editor Projects”