How YOU can help the completion of Reflections of Style 2!

Discussion & organization of Multi-Editor Projects
Castor Troy
Ryan Molina, A.C.E
Org Profile

Post by Castor Troy » Tue Aug 16, 2005 5:00 pm

Can't wait to see the final tracklist. :)
"You're ignoring everything, except what you want to hear.." - jbone

trythil
is
Org Profile

Blender rendering

Post by trythil » Tue Aug 16, 2005 5:04 pm

Just so I can save myself a private message :)

====

How to set up Blender and YafRay

Blender setup is mostly clicking through the installer. Extract the YafRay executable and run its installer.

Here's what you need to know about rendering and animation:

OUTPUT DIRECTORY FOR ANIMATIONS: Set this to a place you know about. It's set to my home directory by default.

CURRENT FRAME SELECTOR: This is the frame you're looking at in the 2D/3D/interpolation curve windows. You can set it directly by clicking on it, or you can use the arrow keys to scroll through animation.

PRESS THIS BUTTON FOR TEST RENDERS: This button renders one frame using the selected render engine and parameters. After the render is complete, you can save the frame as a PNG by going back to the main Blender window and pressing F3.

RENDERING ENGINE SELECTOR: You shouldn't need to (and just plain shouldn't :P ) change this, but you can switch the rendering engine if you want. Switching the engine will not result in the loss of any rendering parameters.

FRAME RANGE SELECTOR: This is where you select the frame range you're working on.

PRESS THIS BUTTON FOR ANIMATION: This button renders the selected range of frames.

The YafRay tab must look like this:

(If you have multiple processors, you can _try_ adjusting the Processors tab, but AFAIK YafRay 0.0.7's multiprocessor support is a little borked)

The YafRay GI tab must look like this:

Finally, the format of the output must be 720x480 at a pixel aspect ratio of 96:79 (not quite NTSC 16:9, but close):

All these settings should be preset in the project file.
Last edited by trythil on Tue Aug 16, 2005 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

trythil
is
Org Profile

Post by trythil » Tue Aug 16, 2005 5:09 pm

Er..

I just tried to render this on my WinXP machine, and Blender crashed.
My Linux box is still chugging away, but...

Crap.

Anyone had more luck than me?

Kitsuner
Maximum Hotness
Org Profile

Post by Kitsuner » Tue Aug 16, 2005 5:33 pm

The same thing happened on my computer, so I would guess that XP doesn't like the project or something.
OtakuGray wrote:Sometimes anime can branch out to a younger audience and this is one of those times where you wish children would just go die.
Stirspeare wrote:<Stirspeare> Lopez: Vanquish my virginity and flood me with kit. ["Ladies..."]

trythil
is
Org Profile

Post by trythil » Tue Aug 16, 2005 5:39 pm

Oops!

The file in the YafRay package isn't the YafRay executable itself -- it's an installer.

Run the installer and everything should work on XP.

risk one
Org Profile

Post by risk one » Tue Aug 16, 2005 6:13 pm

Everything seems to work here (XP). It's now at 3 #'s after two hours. I only just saw that the directory is unix format, so I'm curious to see where blender will hide the file. I've also brought my unix box into the battle (but at 366 mhz/64 I don't expect too much of it).

As a thought; would it be possible to install blender/yafray remotely on linux (redhat or fedora) with user priviliges and render a project from the command line? If so, my school has about 50 high end systems (2Ghz/512 mb, I think) that aren't doing much at all. It should be possible to log into to all of them and set them to render (I should even be able to run a network deamon for the internal network).
ImageImage

trythil
is
Org Profile

Post by trythil » Tue Aug 16, 2005 6:24 pm

risk one wrote: As a thought; would it be possible to install blender/yafray remotely on linux (redhat or fedora) with user priviliges and render a project from the command line? If so, my school has about 50 high end systems (2Ghz/512 mb, I think) that aren't doing much at all. It should be possible to log into to all of them and set them to render (I should even be able to run a network deamon for the internal network).
Yep. Actually, that's what I'm doing right now on my Linux box.

Running blender --help from the command line will give you a list of options. I think I used

Code: Select all

blender -b ros2-4-curve.blend -a -s [start] -e [end]
You _may_ need to set the YafRay location in the scene file.

I don't know if Blender's render daemon works, though, but feel free to give a shot.

godix
a disturbed member
Org Profile

Post by godix » Tue Aug 16, 2005 6:58 pm

How much space does this take? I mean the project files and rendered frames here, i already have blender installed so that's not an issue. I can toss a few spare cycles towards this while I'm at work, jerking off, or otherwise wasting time however I currectly have only a gig or so free because of MEP project files.

trythil
is
Org Profile

Post by trythil » Tue Aug 16, 2005 7:13 pm

godix wrote:How much space does this take? I mean the project files and rendered frames here, i already have blender installed so that's not an issue.
Approximately 300-400 KB per frame.

Brad
Org Profile

Post by Brad » Wed Aug 17, 2005 12:55 am

risk one wrote:Everything seems to work here (XP). It's now at 3 #'s after two hours. I only just saw that the directory is unix format, so I'm curious to see where blender will hide the file. I've also brought my unix box into the battle (but at 366 mhz/64 I don't expect too much of it).

As a thought; would it be possible to install blender/yafray remotely on linux (redhat or fedora) with user priviliges and render a project from the command line? If so, my school has about 50 high end systems (2Ghz/512 mb, I think) that aren't doing much at all. It should be possible to log into to all of them and set them to render (I should even be able to run a network deamon for the internal network).
That would be VERY cool if you could get a network render going! Go for it!
Ask Brad an After Effects Question! - Forum - Site

Return to “Multi-Editor Projects”