Gundam UC

This section is for the rational discussion of anime on a series basis. Spoilers should be expected, but please be courteous to your fellow users.
paizuri
Org Profile

Gundam UC

Post by paizuri » Sat Sep 10, 2005 1:05 pm

This is the official Gundam UC (Universal Century) thread. As such, this thread covers all of the shows occurring in that continuity. These would be the original Gundam, Zeta Gundam, Double Zeta, Char's Counterattack, Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket, Gundam F91, Gundam 0083: Stardust Memory, Victory Gundam and Gundam 08th MS Team.

Android raptor
Org Profile

Post by Android raptor » Sun Sep 11, 2005 2:06 pm

Yes, thank you! Anyway, what are ya'lls favorite series/characters? For me, series would be 0080, 08th, and MSG. Characters would be Ghinius Sakhalin, Garma Zabi, Bernie Wiseman, Kishiria Zabi, Ghiren Zabi (awww hell, I love the Zabis!), and to many others....

older_gohan
Org Profile

Post by older_gohan » Sun Sep 11, 2005 4:49 pm

Ya know we coudl get into the real politics and theories presented in MSG but we'll do it if you want to. For me any series around the time of the one year war is my favorite. Now there are a few that probably continued only a short bit after but the UC ones are all the best. However if I were to choose these are the one's I would choose and why...

MSG- it's the original that provided us with a great series and a awsome plot. What more can you say.

08th - Not because is aired on cartoon network. What you'll realize with 08th ms team is that it shows how the front lines were in those days. there were no glorified hero's who were indestructible, there were no great aces that could go out by themselves and kil fifty mobile suits single handely. This anime portrays the one year war in a more real sense. It shows the pain, destruction, and great losses both sides suffered. Also it displays the mentality of the 'Common Soilder' and what he felt his role was. Although it is focused around one single unit which managed to survive you'll see that even through the good times their hopes of getting out alive were very bleak. There is nothing glorified of this. It's only pure warefare in it's true sense.

Char's CounterAttack- the thing I loved about this one was for a few reasons.
One the animation seemed to give off a more MSG feel but also liked to keep to modern times as well.

Two- Both sides were thoruoughly similar but trying to maintain difference enough to give them a reason to keep fighting.

Three- It easily shows the mentality both amuro and char had eventually gone through to come to this great and final battle.

Four- Although char's intentions were very noble and seemed correct it shows that the spacenoids and the earthlings were not quite ready to go in the direction char wanted. It took a while for them to realize this but at the end both side knew what had to happen.

Android raptor
Org Profile

Post by Android raptor » Sun Sep 11, 2005 5:19 pm

Hmmm, well, we could get into the politics if you wanted....

Anyway, even though I love 08th to death, it is not without its flaws. Ayna, IMHO, is a terrible character that really drags the series down. She's kind of "Sue"-ish, and I really think she could have helped her brother more, maybe even stopped him from going insane. But no, she just runs off with this guy whom she only saw two times before.

And they really should have shown Ghinius more. For being the main villain, he really isn't in there a whole lot until Ep.11. His character needed to be developed more. And they should have explained the mother-abandonment thing earlier, instead of just as a last minute revolation. Would have made his character FAR more sympathatic.

And then there's "irresponsible captain Shiro". He really thinks to much with his hormones instead of his brain. Which, of course, gets him into trouble numorous times. This, I feel, makes the show less realistic.

So there's my little rant....

older_gohan
Org Profile

Post by older_gohan » Sun Sep 11, 2005 6:12 pm

Aww but you know that quick relationship gives it the Romeo and Juliet feel to it. Not to mention under the circumstances that kind of relationship was very possible. You have two young people who meet under less than favorable circumstances and eventually feel they have something for each other. Now under these conditions, a love like this might be something they long for rather than they want to explore. You have to realize their state if mind in the war. I'd say it was more lust but entirely possible.

Ghinius plyed the classic villian behind the scenes. It gives it great effect to the point where you see that he was playing his sister like dool. It was supposed to make him look like a horrible man, and did great job of doing it. His insanity went beyond just emotional and mental damage to teh point of delusions of victory and fantasy. He was far past his previous years of abuse and lonliness. I think they did a good job but could of presented with a more of a Humane side.

Now Shiro I thinkwas the closest to a real person ever. Here's how you would picture it. 08th takes late in the one year war. Half of each factions population have been killed. Obviously for earth and the principality of zeon, both resources and decent pilots are hard to find. A MS isn't something you pick up first hand. Expecially since Newtypes aren't easy to find. Enter shiro, young kid, got decent marks enough to put him in a MS and not to mention his stunt with the Ball gave a him a few high marks. SO at this point his ego would probably be running high. Adding all that in you have a young kid, with a big ego from killing one MS, getting a half decent rank and his own squad, plus he's probably sexuallly deprived from being in the military. I'd say he fits what it would be like. I've meet alot of soilders from all branches of the armed forces and they all have one thing in common. They are walking d***s and ego maniacs.

yuppa
Org Profile

Post by yuppa » Sun Sep 11, 2005 6:37 pm

well mayby you mean.. they are....OVERCONFIDENT nto walking dicks. You ar egeneralizing them ALL.. which is not cool. there are plenty who are not hormone driven mad men and women. And soem also who are not ego maniacs. On th esubject od gundam... A ego maniac in that is....Char. hes a HUGE ego maniac.
END OF LINE
Once king of noobs...now king nothing!!

Android raptor
Org Profile

Post by Android raptor » Sun Sep 11, 2005 6:58 pm

Yes, which brings me to another thing: Char. I am really starting to dislike him for what he did to Garma and Kishiria.

And about Ghinius: the only reason Ghinius "played" with Ayna was because he is too sick physicaly to do alot of things himself. Hence, Ayna probably took care of him, and once she begins to leave him for Shiro, he got the feeling that everyone had left him. We know "mommy-dearest" abandoned the family, and Ghinius must have cared about her (though I did get the sense that he was abused by her) because he is clearly still very upset about it. And once Ayna starts leaving him, he probably felt that the only thing he had left was the Apsaras, which grew into an obsession.

older_gohan
Org Profile

Post by older_gohan » Mon Sep 12, 2005 7:47 am

The way I percieved it was the fact that Ghinius was playing at his sisters emotional strings. You can tell from her general demeanor that she was very wanting of something to call her own. So when her brother showed a little interest (Aside from his obssession with the Apsaras), she just jumped in thinking it would all work out. Then we her brother realized that he was going to lose the one thing that would make the Apsaras work he went a little more on the insane side because she was the only thing that could bring his 'Dream' to life. I honestly think he neglected her but hid it behind a facade of false feelings in hopes of using her to fufill his ultimate dream. You can tell later on that when he took controll of the final creation that his care for his sister ended abrupt as most of the federation army men's lives did.

Either way it's a great series with alot of depth.

Now here's one what was your take on Char's Counter attack? I mean about the sides and their views in general. They really took it from all sides and ages of what this war meant.

Android raptor
Org Profile

Post by Android raptor » Mon Sep 12, 2005 3:25 pm

Hmm, well one thing about CCA is that Char is preetty hot in it. More seriously, I think he kinnda' lost it when he planned to drop Axis on the Earth. And I still haven't forgiven him for what he did to Garma and Kishiria...

older_gohan
Org Profile

Post by older_gohan » Mon Sep 12, 2005 4:12 pm

What really got me was the fact that even though Char wanted to accomplish his view by dropping Axis onto the earth, in the end his own troops tried to prevent it from happening. Given there was no way possible to accomplish it, they still managed to show Char that his ideals weren't the great.

Return to “Anime Series Discussion”