Blue Exorcist

This section is for the rational discussion of anime on a series basis. Spoilers should be expected, but please be courteous to your fellow users.
seasons
Org Profile

Re: Blue Exorcist

Post by seasons » Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:40 pm

The first half of this new season was really, really good! The supporting characters were really flushed out in a way that they never were with the original series. Lots of quiet(er) and introspective moments, it was still a big, dumb shonen series but it felt unexpectedly thoughtful at times. Even Rin was portrayed in a deeper way than we ever knew. You never sympathized with his classmates in the original series, but here you can understand why they treat him like they do, and it's meaningful and believable to watch them slowly come around to accepting him in their own way. Their conversations have a purpose and lead to development in their relationships. It's weird to see that happen in Blue Exorcist but it's really welcome.
Spoiler :
Second half of this series just kind of went back on autopilot, endless action that was really intense but never felt suspenseful, you knew how it was all going to work out. Yukio's scenes with Todo contained more of the super-contrived trope where characters have a long conversation in the middle of an intense battle, and the villain emotionally manipulates the protagonist by needling his deepest and darkest fears. This was a tried-and-true fallback in the original series and it's back yet again!

Mephisto is still one of the most irritating characters I've ever seen in anime. Am I supposed to be charmed by all these scenes where he's floating around and watching battles and talking to himself like "Ah, the show is finally beginning! And it should be most entertaining! Tell me, son of Satan, which side of yourself will you embrace? What path shall you choose? Ah, the battle is finally coming to a climax, this has been ever so delightful, let's see how the story finally ends! Ah, the curtain draws on the final act, bravo! Bravo!" I can't stand the implication that he's so powerful and has all these plans and is working behind the scenes all the time, but then he shows up and does this stupid schtick over and over again, it was played out and annoying in the first series and it's back in full force here. He's like every irritating Johnny Depp character that's ever graced a t-shirt at Hot Topic rolled into one.
I really wish Shara would put on some clothes, her design is so ridiculous and this kind of fanservice is so unbearably boring.

Not bad, obviously I had some issues with this that I can't let go of, much of this was a lot better than I ever expected, though.

Kireblue
Forum Admin
Org Profile

Post by Kireblue » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:47 pm

I really enjoyed this season of Blue Exorcist right until I got to the end of episode 12 and realized that it was the finale. The show really felt like it was gonna be 24 episodes, and so It was a bit disappointing that it ended with the story progressing only by about a week. I just hope that season 3 comes out fairly soon

Jasta85
Org Profile

Post by Jasta85 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:51 am

yea, it pretty much followed the manga exactly, I actually picked up the manga again after the anime was done and finished catching up on that yesterday, it had been so long since I last read it even though I hard read a bit of it before I had completely forgotten. Hopefully it gets another season but it's unusual for series to get continued in multiple non-continuous season in the anime world, I think hajime no ippo and gintama are some of the only ones that get away with it because their mangas have always been so popular.

Return to “Anime Series Discussion”