Someone tell me I'm confused

kmv
Org Profile

Someone tell me I'm confused

Post by kmv » Fri Feb 06, 2004 2:07 pm

If:
VCA Rules wrote:5. Members must not have any completely "non-anime" video entries. Members who have created a catalogue entry where all of the "anime" listed is actually "non-anime"... <snip>
and:
Video Info: Road to Iron Chef wrote:Anime(s):
- Back to the Future
- Fargo
- Homestarrunner.com - Strongbad Emails
- Last Action Hero
- Original Drawings
- Spice World: the Movie
Then how can:
Nominees by video wrote:Road to Iron Chef, AbsoluteDestiny (Ian Roberts)
- Best Comedy Video
- Best Parody Video
be?

Is this a mistake or do BBT's drawings count as anime?

Don't get me wrong guys (AbsoluteDestiny, Akimbo, Big Big Truck, Kusoyaro), I think this is a great video - I just didn't think it was anime.

Hoping someone can point out my error (and hoping I haven't just stepped on a hornets nest).

VegettoEX
Org Profile

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Feb 06, 2004 2:21 pm

In all honesty, I love all of the people involved with that particular video, I look up to them and ask for their advise, and laugh my ass off, still, when I watch it...

But I kinda agree.

Maybe it's a little bit of favoritism, maybe it's a little bit of misunderstanding, but technically I don't believe it follows the guidelines for being included in the database. I made a video with <I>Mortal Kombat II</I> footage back in 2000, but I would never list it on this site... it's not an AMV. I guess you could argue that in this case, the video is its "own anime" and directly reflects the AMV community, its members, AMV creation, etc... so there's definitely two sides to it.

It's up to the fans to vote for the "best" video in each category. If you don't feel that <B>RtIC</B> is the "best" parody video by going by the <B>category's description</B> (this is key, here)... then don't vote for it. If you <B>do</B> feel it best fits the description and you prefer it to the other videos, by all means, vote for it.

I totally understand the daunting task of weeding out all the non-anime videos, and hope there will be a more streamlined definition and enforcement in the future... until then, I totally sympathize with Phade and the admins that have to deal with all that stuff ^^;;
:: [| Michael "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Website: Kanzenshuu |] ::
:: [| AMVs: Profile |] ::
:: [| Latest Video: Flashback (July 2022) |] ::

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Post by Scintilla » Fri Feb 06, 2004 2:33 pm

I remember reading somewhere a statement that EK's drawings counted as anime for being-allowed-to-stay purposes.
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:

Jebadia
Org Profile

Post by Jebadia » Fri Feb 06, 2004 3:41 pm

I thought Phade just wanted it on the org because it was as semi-clever and fun to watch docu-parody.

Anywho, it's funny and all..but those factors do leave it to be disqualified, no matter who made it. EK's drawings shouldn't be the reason to allow it in either. And with saying that shouldn't AD's vids be disqualified for having an all none-anime source vid (though collaborative) listed on the database?
"If you believe in yourself, eat all your school, stay on milk, drink your teeth, don't do sleep, and get your eight hours of drugs, you can get WORK!"
Paperskunk:...PENIS!!!!!!!!! GIANT PENIS!!!!!!!!!! ERMAC WHAT HAVE YOU DONE!!!!!!!! GIANT JUICY PENIS!!!!!!!!! AHHHHHHHHH MY EYES!!!!!!

Flint the Dwarf
Org Profile

Post by Flint the Dwarf » Fri Feb 06, 2004 3:46 pm

Technically, I'd say yes. :? But it's too late now.
Kusoyaro: We don't need a leader. We need to SHUT UP. Make what you want to make, don't make you what you don't want to make. If neither of those applies to you, then you need to SHUT UP MORE.

Pie Row Maniac
Org Profile

Post by Pie Row Maniac » Fri Feb 06, 2004 3:48 pm

Wow. This never came to mind before reading this.

And sadly, I do have to agree. Despite it being a funny video, it is technically non-anime so to be fair (unless the site's trying not to) it should be off the VCA listings.
Image Image

Arigatomina
Org Profile

Post by Arigatomina » Fri Feb 06, 2004 4:18 pm

I noticed that as well, back when creators were being disqualified. But think about it. An admin helped make the video (and it's listed as his in the VCA's). You can't expect him to disqualify his own video. ^_^;;

Beowulf
Org Profile

Post by Beowulf » Fri Feb 06, 2004 4:29 pm

People. There is a heirarchy.

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Post by Scintilla » Fri Feb 06, 2004 5:16 pm

Arigatomyna wrote:I noticed that as well, back when creators were being disqualified. But think about it. An admin helped make the video (and it's listed as his in the VCA's). You can't expect him to disqualify his own video. ^_^;;
Why not, if it breaks the rules?

Though no one's yet issued an official statement as to whether or not this really is technically rule-breaking...
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:

Arigatomina
Org Profile

Post by Arigatomina » Fri Feb 06, 2004 5:46 pm

It doesn't break the rules because Phade said he was making certain exceptions on the 'no non-anime' rule when he started the deletions. I know he didn't say exactly which vids he was keeping, but he said a few of his favorites would be left up because he wanted them there. And since this one is not only still up, but being counted in the site's *anime* contest - I'd say it's one of his favorites. So it isn't breaking any rules (Phade sets the rules).

And what I meant by saying the admin couldn't delete his own vid was that someone above him would have to do it. And Phade already said he wanted to keep some non-anime vids, so he isn't going to.

Return to “VCA Shameless Promotions 2004”