I am a tad purturbed at a few things [rant]

Garylisk
Org Profile

I am a tad purturbed at a few things [rant]

Post by Garylisk » Thu Feb 05, 2004 6:58 am

Rather than rant on and on about things that aggrivate me about this year's competition, I'll go by categorical order here... I know I'm not the only one who's a little upset by this stuff.

Also before I begin, I'd like to say that I am not dissing anyone's videos. If anything, I am dissing the vast majority that appearently nominated some of these videos to certain categories when they jsut plain don't belong there.

I have no qualms with Best Action, that's fine. All good videos that belong in the category.

Best Character Profile is where we start running into trouble. Now, I don't know who to blame... the people vot casting nominations for the videos when they should have damn well known it didn't belong, or the creators for deciding to put their video in that category because maybe there's a slim, slight, almost invisible item in the video that fits the category. Regardless of how it happened, "I Wish I Was a Lesbian" is listed in, and has been nominated as, a character profile video. I ask you, what character is it profiling? Who is this video about? The obvious answer is "nobody specifically" - Cuz it's not profiling anyone. It's funny, and a good video, and I definitely love the whole thing... but a character profile? Get real, people.

Best Comedy is such a broad category that it's hard to screw up. In any case, I have no problem with those picks.

Best Dance is also fine.

Best Dramatic is chock full of goodness, all of which belong there.

The First Videos category. this is where we get into some REALLY unfair stuff. Sierra Lorna/Silver Moon's "Bounty Hunters Who Don't Do anything" is a great video, and true it's their first video done together as a team... but it should not be here, really. Notice that Sierra Lorna's first listed AMV is from January of 2002. Silver Moon's first video is from November of 2001. Both editors have some experience under their belts. Don't you think it's a little unfair for such seasoned editors to participate in this category? True, I find "CHIHUAHUA!" to be a frickin' awesome video that would give any seasoned editor a run for their money... but this category should be for new editors. It's unfair to have people who have been in the scene for a while in there.

Moving on to the Best Fun Video category. Since AMVs, as a whole, are fun, I find this category kind of redundant. I could make the most ultraviolent bloody, gut-wrenching AMV ever, and still call it "fun". People have fun watching it, therefore it's fun. But that's how I've always felt about labeling videos into the "fun" category. I'll move on.

Best Horror/Terror - While none of the videos frightened me (MexicanJunior's "Asuka's Last Stand" scared me more than these videos :P ) - They fit the theme of horror and terror, so they are all very appropriate choices. Next category.

Best Instrumental. Not much to say here, it's very straightforward.

Best Lip-Synch Video. This is where I almost crapped my damn pants for the sheer nonsense of it all. While it is true that you shoudl list your video as having lipsynch in it if it has it in it... Oh god, I don't know if I can continue, it's rotting my brain thinking about the brain power it took for all the members of the site to collectively nominate this video. OK. I'm gonna say it. The video has, like, a few short lipsynchs in it, all of which are well done, though not totally spectacular... I am of course talking about "We Want You!" by Vlad Pohnert. What were you ALL thinking? I want every person who voted to nominate this video, which has a definite focus on the camedic aspect rather than the lip-synch, shot. It's that simple. I like the video, too... but for crtying out loud, at least nominate it for Best Comedy where it belongs! My Love Hina video has lipsynch in it, but I would probably stab myself with a spoon if it got nominated for "Best Lip-Synch Video". I would have nightmares about people at cons watching my video, completely missing the point of it, talking about "Wow, that one lip-synch back there was so cool! Well, now that we've seen the lip-synch, let's go drink more booze! *leave room*"

*deep breath*

I'm ok. Really I am...

NEXT!

The "Best Parody Video" category. Maybe I'm blind, or I don't have my finger on the pulse of society enough, but... What are these videos a parody of, exactly? Let me rephrase that a bit... Apart from "Road to Iron Chef" that has a ton of Parody bits, and the Eva Trailer that's a parody of Deep Blue Sea using Sealab audio (WHICH WAS BLOODY AWESOME! :P ).. What else is being parodied here? Elvis vs. Anime has the parody of the Elvis "1" logo... was the video itself a parody of something I'm just not aware of? "It's Tricky To Make a Music Video", while a favorite of mine (And I'm mad it's not nominated for vid of the year. Same with Elvis vs. Anime.), doesn't seem to be a parody of anything. It's just a damn fine music video. And finally, "The Chibi Things (That Kill)" (Another video that scores very high on the "OMGWTF-THAT-WAS-AWESOME Meter"), while has some anime mixing scenes, I don't know if I'd call it a Parody of anything. I guess that video is kind of in that happy gray area that's safe from my ranting. Oh well.

Best Romantic, no problems.

Best Sentimental, no problems.

Best Trailer, no prob.

Hell, I got no probs with the rest of the categories (Except of course, I think the video of the year category shoudl include a few more videos. But of course, there's always videos you'll feel are deserving of more than they get, so I won't go on about that.)

So anyway. There you have it. A rant in pure categorical form. I pray to god that someone out there agrees with me on at least some of these points.

And again, I'm not trying to sway anyone's voting, not trying to put a shadow over anyone's viudeos, and I am definitely not dissing anyone's videos. All the videos this year rock, it's just that... sometimes, you people really need to get your categories straightened out. Editors AND fans. list your videos correctly, vote according to category instead of according to "OMG THAT VID WAS COOL EVEN THO IT ONLY HAD A 2 LITTLE LIPSYNCHS HAHAHA VILLAGE PPL ARE GHEY! I VOTE FOR IT BEST LIPSYNCH EVAR!"

OK yeah. I'm really aggrivated abotu that one. I'll stop.. I need sleep. Good night.
Alcohol, Drugs, Overdrive, Noise, Neon Lights, Party People, Revolution

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Re: I am a tad purturbed at a few things [rant]

Post by Scintilla » Thu Feb 05, 2004 9:03 am

Garylisk wrote:The First Videos category. this is where we get into some REALLY unfair stuff. Sierra Lorna/Silver Moon's "Bounty Hunters Who Don't Do anything" is a great video, and true it's their first video done together as a team... but it should not be here, really. Notice that Sierra Lorna's first listed AMV is from January of 2002. Silver Moon's first video is from November of 2001. Both editors have some experience under their belts. Don't you think it's a little unfair for such seasoned editors to participate in this category?
Silver_moon already issued a statement in another thread stating that they didn't want people to vote for their video in that category for that very reason.
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:

Tash
Org Profile

Post by Tash » Thu Feb 05, 2004 9:24 am

Isn't elvis vs anime a parody of the actual music video?

I think she said it was a copy of it.

angelx03
Location: In school, Rochester NY mainly RIT; in home, Tampa, FL
Org Profile

Post by angelx03 » Thu Feb 05, 2004 9:27 am

Scintilla wrote:
Garylisk wrote:The First Videos category. this is where we get into some REALLY unfair stuff. Sierra Lorna/Silver Moon's "Bounty Hunters Who Don't Do anything" is a great video, and true it's their first video done together as a team... but it should not be here, really. Notice that Sierra Lorna's first listed AMV is from January of 2002. Silver Moon's first video is from November of 2001. Both editors have some experience under their belts. Don't you think it's a little unfair for such seasoned editors to participate in this category?
Silver_moon already issued a statement in another thread stating that they didn't want people to vote for their video in that category for that very reason.
True, but do you think the people will not get the message? Heck, we have people who download AMVs who don't even come to the forums so they may not get the message.
ImageImage

Flint the Dwarf
Org Profile

Post by Flint the Dwarf » Thu Feb 05, 2004 10:19 am

angelx03 wrote:True, but do you think the people will not get the message? Heck, we have people who download AMVs who don't even come to the forums so they may not get the message.
Yeah, but those people aren't too likely to be voting.
Kusoyaro: We don't need a leader. We need to SHUT UP. Make what you want to make, don't make you what you don't want to make. If neither of those applies to you, then you need to SHUT UP MORE.

VegettoEX
Org Profile

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Feb 05, 2004 10:19 am

It's Viewer's Choice.

The viewers voted for what they wanted in each category.

You don't have to agree with them, and in some case, I'm with you to an extent...

But the viewers voted for what the viewers wanted to see in the Viewer's Choice. Maybe that see something you don't, maybe they're completely wrong, and maybe we're all just in a parallel universe.

Regardless, they voted for what they wanted to vote for. *shrugs* If someone honestly thought the lip-synch in We Want You! is better than the lip-synch in Obligatory EVA Trailer, I'm certainly not going to argue with them, because they're correct; it is better, and thus, I feel it does belong there in the category. Ya' know? That kinda stuff is what goes on in peoples' heads.

Let them have their fun ^^;;. Anything's better than Alone in the World vs Alone in the World vs Damaged Rei-mix ^^;;
:: [| Michael "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Website: Kanzenshuu |] ::
:: [| AMVs: Profile |] ::
:: [| Latest Video: Flashback (July 2022) |] ::

Flint the Dwarf
Org Profile

Post by Flint the Dwarf » Thu Feb 05, 2004 11:00 am

Then why have categories at all? :P

I say we just have one giant category (Good Videos) and let people vote whatever they want. Then the top 25 are the winners.
Kusoyaro: We don't need a leader. We need to SHUT UP. Make what you want to make, don't make you what you don't want to make. If neither of those applies to you, then you need to SHUT UP MORE.

Ashyukun
Medicinal Leech
Org Profile

Post by Ashyukun » Thu Feb 05, 2004 11:20 am

Tash wrote:Isn't elvis vs anime a parody of the actual music video?

I think she said it was a copy of it.
Correct. She took the original video and remade it nearly scene-for-scene using anime instead of the live action that was in the original. It's a damn good video even without knowing that, but how well she matches up with the original makes it even better.
Bob 'Ash' Babcock
Electric Leech Productions

TnAdct1
Org Profile

Post by TnAdct1 » Thu Feb 05, 2004 12:26 pm

Garylisk wrote:The "Best Parody Video" category. Maybe I'm blind, or I don't have my finger on the pulse of society enough, but... What are these videos a parody of, exactly? Let me rephrase that a bit... Apart from "Road to Iron Chef" that has a ton of Parody bits, and the Eva Trailer that's a parody of Deep Blue Sea using Sealab audio (WHICH WAS BLOODY AWESOME! :P ).. What else is being parodied here? Elvis vs. Anime has the parody of the Elvis "1" logo... was the video itself a parody of something I'm just not aware of? "It's Tricky To Make a Music Video", while a favorite of mine (And I'm mad it's not nominated for vid of the year. Same with Elvis vs. Anime.), doesn't seem to be a parody of anything. It's just a damn fine music video. And finally, "The Chibi Things (That Kill)" (Another video that scores very high on the "OMGWTF-THAT-WAS-AWESOME Meter"), while has some anime mixing scenes, I don't know if I'd call it a Parody of anything. I guess that video is kind of in that happy gray area that's safe from my ranting. Oh well.
Elvis vs. Anime: As someone already pointed out, the video is a parody of the original "A Little Less Conversation" music video, with anime characters replacing the live action parts.

It's Tricky to Make a Music Video: The main concept of the video is that it's a parody of the types of AMV's that usually win AMV contests in which the winners are chosen by the fans.

Joe Klemm

trythil
is
Org Profile

Post by trythil » Thu Feb 05, 2004 12:29 pm

flint_the_dwarf wrote:Then why have categories at all? :P

I say we just have one giant category (Good Videos) and let people vote whatever they want. Then the top 25 are the winners.
<alliterative pseudophilosphical="1">

Categorization is the crack cocaine of contemporary contests.

</alliterative>

Return to “VCA Shameless Promotions 2004”