I am a tad purturbed at a few things [rant]

SarahtheBoring
Org Profile

Post by SarahtheBoring » Sat Feb 07, 2004 10:58 am

Vlad G Pohnert wrote:I just find it so interesting why the VCA awards are so SLAMED all the time. GO read the Yahoo AMV mailing list and see what I mean as well! But ironically when all fan balloted contests are run, the masses don't slam them!
No offense, Mr. P, but outside the AMV world, fan-run contests (say, fanart contests or whatever) are a constant source of whining, complaining, back-biting and general overwrought drama. It's not just the VCAs. Maybe the ML is just lucky. :lol:

Heck, if you think about it, so are any awards contests. Think about all the endless media talk leading up to the Oscars or whathaveyou - or worse, the fans' talk (especially when their favorite isn't nominated. Whew.)

Competition brings out the worst in a lot of people. That's just how it is. It's not just this place.

Vlad G Pohnert
Org Profile

Post by Vlad G Pohnert » Sat Feb 07, 2004 11:45 pm

SarahtheBoring wrote: No offense, Mr. P, but outside the AMV world, fan-run contests (say, fanart contests or whatever) are a constant source of whining, complaining, back-biting and general overwrought drama. It's not just the VCAs. Maybe the ML is just lucky. :lol:

Heck, if you think about it, so are any awards contests. Think about all the endless media talk leading up to the Oscars or whathaveyou - or worse, the fans' talk (especially when their favorite isn't nominated. Whew.)

Competition brings out the worst in a lot of people. That's just how it is. It's not just this place.
Yes, I agree, my original point is not about the whining and complaining, but rather about how worthless the VCAs are... Peole whine about not winning or who did win at contests all the tiem, but they don't nessesarity slam them.... This really was the only point I wanted to bring up..nothing else :wink:

Vlad

trythil
is
Org Profile

Post by trythil » Sun Feb 08, 2004 1:53 am

Vlad G Pohnert wrote: I just find it so interesting why the VCA awards are so SLAMED all the time. GO read the Yahoo AMV mailing list and see what I mean as well! But ironically when all fan balloted contests are run, the masses don't slam them!
I've heard ACen's contest slammed many times for technical issues and judging problems. AX gets heat for what people perceive as staff incompetence. Otakon's audience vote has also angered quite a few people.

Here's another theory for your consideration:

People submit to these contests and put up with their problems, as opposed to the VCAs, is that when you enter a (real-life) convention's contest, you can be guaranteed an audience. With conventions like AX and Otakon, the audience is huge.

With the VCAs -- well, you're not guaranteed much at all. Look at the current vote statistics: 444 members.

That's not even an accurate count of how many people have actually seen the video. Because of things like friend-jerking and people running off of what they remember as being cool, I feel quite comfortable in saying that the number of people who have actually seen every video on the VCA nominated list is substantially lower.

I've done some introspective thinking, and I know that the rationale I just described above is my reason. The contest results don't matter to me and nor does the audience reaction. It is nice to win and it is nice to not hear boos, but I hold neither to be really essential.

Rather, the one thing that is essential is the sadistic pleasure of torturing the audience with the crap that I sometimes get to sneak past the nets of AMV contests. Oh yes. That pleasure is not guaranteed to me with the VCAs, even if one of my messes were to be voted as a finalist.

Another reason:

You can't smack someone upside the head over the Internet.
However, you can do that in meatspace.

This works wonders to restrain people from excessive bitching and whining about real-life contests. Violence is the key.

Return to “VCA Shameless Promotions 2004”