I JUST DONT KNOW!!?!?!?!!!!?!!

dwchang
Sad Boy on Site
Org Profile

Post by dwchang » Wed Feb 04, 2004 12:48 pm

flint_the_dwarf wrote:
dwchang wrote:but am a bit partial to "Variations in D Minor" since I've been rooting for it since ACen/May and at Fanime and Otakon.

Beo, quit your yapping. These vids, of all released this year, are the closest to horror that I've seen. So unless you want to get rid of the category for good, shut yo mouf.

As for me, I'd vote Variations. Partly because I'm a big power metal fan, but also because I thought it was awesome and the atmosphere was great.
Yeah I believe you were at ACen too when he "debuted" it. I know I was rooting for it and was disappointed when it lost. And then again at Fanime and Otakon ;_; *sob*. I was very happy to see the win at AWA Pro and also that Travis was there to receive the award.

Beo has his points, but at the same time, if there's only one horror video, the category shouldn't really exist and well, that'd suck. I'd agree that these are "the closest" though.

Have fun and enjoy them!
-Daniel
Newest Video: Through the Years and Far Away aka Sad Girl in Space

Flint the Dwarf
Org Profile

Post by Flint the Dwarf » Wed Feb 04, 2004 1:37 pm

Yeah I was at ACen when it played and I was blown away. When the intro screen came up and it introduced the band, my jaw dropped. I was thinking it wasn't going to be very good though, because most of the videos I've seen with similar music just suck. But I was so amazed.

Oh well, that's cool he won at AWA.
fyrtenheimer wrote:but he's right. none of them are really horror.
Not horror in the scary sense. But just because they're filled with action doesn't mean they aren't horror. Drama videos can be filled with action but still be drama. Horror has to be loosely defined becase frankly, I don't think I could ever be scared by a music video. Horror, in AMVs nowadays, basically means dark. :? That's how I see it anyway.
Kusoyaro: We don't need a leader. We need to SHUT UP. Make what you want to make, don't make you what you don't want to make. If neither of those applies to you, then you need to SHUT UP MORE.

Corran
Org Profile

Post by Corran » Wed Feb 04, 2004 4:38 pm

Next year we should get rid of Horror for a category such as Excellence in Simplicity or something :?

AbsoluteDestiny
Org Profile

Post by AbsoluteDestiny » Wed Feb 04, 2004 4:42 pm

I fought for that category but Phade said Excellence in Simplicity was too vague as "how simple is simple".

Also, people can't be trusted to understand categories - they just vote all the videos they like in all the categories they are available :(

Flint the Dwarf
Org Profile

Post by Flint the Dwarf » Wed Feb 04, 2004 4:45 pm

AbsoluteDestiny wrote:Also, people can't be trusted to understand categories - they just vote all the videos they like in all the categories they are available :(
Too true. :?

But next year we should change "Horror" to "Dark".
Kusoyaro: We don't need a leader. We need to SHUT UP. Make what you want to make, don't make you what you don't want to make. If neither of those applies to you, then you need to SHUT UP MORE.

Corran
Org Profile

Post by Corran » Wed Feb 04, 2004 5:00 pm

How about the videos that the creator prevents people from rating digital effects can be what a script looks for when classifying a simplistic video?

dwchang
Sad Boy on Site
Org Profile

Post by dwchang » Wed Feb 04, 2004 5:26 pm

Corran Productions wrote:How about the videos that the creator prevents people from rating digital effects can be what a script looks for when classifying a simplistic video?
Although you have a good point and easily implemented solution, I still don't think this will be that great of a solution and I know you'll disagree Ian, but I think Phade has a point. For my video nominated for "Best Instrumental" (Circle of Conflict), I didn't click the "Effects" tab, but I know that some would definitely say it's not "simple" purely because I do some blurs on the text and some (very simple) masks.

Same goes with my drama/romance nomination, "Glory of Love." It has two (even more simple) masks in it and one could say that using the Black & White filter at the end is also an effect and yet I didn't click that tab since I think it is pretty far off from "effects-dominated." Should it still be considered? I'd like to think so and if you've seen the video, hopefully you'd agree. It seems the reviewers agree with my choice and enjoy the simplicity of it ;).

As Phade said, what is simple? Who can define that? If we leave it up to the creator to choose that tab and base the nominees on that, there's still a good chance people will disagree and say that video XYZ isn't simple.

At the same time, I'm not saying there isn't a solution here, but I don't think this will be a "fix-all," but nice try. Can I also recommend that this portion of the thread (from AbsoluteDestin's reply on "Excellence in Simplicity") be moved to the "Site Suggestions?" It doesn't seem as relevant to this thread and I imagine whoever originated it is a big angry.
-Daniel

dwchang
Sad Boy on Site
Org Profile

Post by dwchang » Wed Feb 04, 2004 5:28 pm

Corran Productions wrote:How about the videos that the creator prevents people from rating digital effects can be what a script looks for when classifying a simplistic video?

One more thing I forgot. Yes I realize that Phade's description of the score specifically says "other than just a cross-dissolve" (my friend), but well...I still didn't click it. Oops! I'm sure I'm not the only on who hasn't included effects in their video that has more than cross-dissolves. I'd like to think people would agree with my decision here and I imagine if I had the "Effects" score on those two previously mentioned videos, I'd have pretty low scores in them or people just downright abstaining from scoring it.
-Daniel

Corran
Org Profile

Post by Corran » Wed Feb 04, 2004 5:36 pm

dwchang wrote:As Phade said, what is simple? Who can define that? If we leave it up to the creator to choose that tab and base the nominees on that, there's still a good chance people will disagree and say that video XYZ isn't simple.
As it is now a user can choose the categories their video falls into anyways. I always though IWIWAL to be a pure comedy/fun video.. not a character profile. Same with the horror category as shown in this thread. As it is with the current system, the creators choose what their videos should be defined as. Of the videos you mentioned I would personally classify them that way too.

AbsoluteDestiny
Org Profile

Post by AbsoluteDestiny » Wed Feb 04, 2004 5:41 pm

Corran Productions wrote:As it is now a user can choose the categories their video falls into anyways. I always though IWIWAL to be a pure comedy/fun video.. not a character profile.
It's not a character profile - I selected that as a joke. However, people just vote for their fave vids in everything they can so you really need some sort of automatic filtering to weed out invalid entries otherwise you'll get any old thing being nominated.

Return to “VCA Shameless Promotions 2004”