You and Me and Pokemon

Feedback on cataloged Anime Music Videos

Moderators: Mol, seasons

Forum rules
Please observe the following unique rules for this forum:
  • Please limit your new threads (not replies) to one per week. If you have several new videos to announce, create one thread for all the videos. (Note: if you forget one you can edit your post!)
  • Offsite links are allowed, but you are required to have a catalog entry for that video as well. Threads announcing videos that do not contain a catalog entry will be moved to the Awaiting Catalog Entry sub-forum and will be deleted in 2 weeks if an entry is not created.
  • When posting announcements, it is recommended that you include links to the catalog entries (using the video ID) in your post.
  • Videos that do not contain anime are allowed to be announced in the Other Videos section and are not required to have catalog entries.
ReannaKing
Org Profile

You and Me and Pokemon

Post by ReannaKing » Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:51 pm

Well, this video has been in the works for a very, VERY long time. It really means a lot to me, so I thought I'd get it out there. It's also the first major AMV I've completed in a while, and in my opinion, it's one of my best.

This is a fun, sentimental video about the world of Pokemon, using two songs from the little-known Pokemon live action stage musical and clips from the show and most of the movies thus far.

If you love Pokemon, or even if you remember thinking how awesome Pokemon was when you were a kid, please, go ahead and check this out. I put my passion for Pokemon into this video, and hopefully it shows.

http://www.animemusicvideos.org/members ... p?v=154399

PS: Okay. First of all, I know the reaction I'm going to get from most "otaku."

"ZOMG POKEMANS IZ TEH SUXZORZ Y DONT U MAEK VIDS ABOUT REEL ANIMU!!! U R LIEK LITL KID 4 LIEKING SUCKYMANZ LOLOLOL"

Please, that kind of response isn't helpful at all. If you can't be mature, don't bother replying. ^_~

ReannaKing
Org Profile

Post by ReannaKing » Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:36 pm

I really don't understand what's going on. I think this is one of my best videos and the only OP I've gotten on it so far has been very positive, but it's turning out to have one of the worst star ratings of any of my videos, and I made some real crappy ones when I first started out.

If anyone downloads this and sees what people might be getting caught on, could they let me know? This is really puzzling me. Either that or a couple people downloaded just so they could give it a "1" just because it's Pokemon.

I'm not expecting a perfect 5 every time-- far from it. I'm just a bit disappointed, and think that the video is better than this. But maybe in the time I've worked on it, I've become so attached to it that I can't see obvious faults that others might be able to.
I host the Anime Music Video contest at No Brand Con in Eau Claire, WI.

Get your butt over to cheeseland and show me what you've got! :D

Infinity Squared
Mr. Poopy Pants
Org Profile

Post by Infinity Squared » Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:59 pm

It's been 2 days since you've announced this. For starters, you can't trust the star rating from the start because it still hasn't had a chance to average out yet and even in the long run, a lot of people just end up giving 3 across the board simply for lazy reasons.

I'm downloading your video now to give it a quick look, but I'm saying now that you're just being impatient for starters and your high file size and mpeg2 encoding will turn people off.

ReannaKing
Org Profile

Post by ReannaKing » Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:04 pm

Thanks.

I know, I get neurotic like this whenever I release a new video. It drives my fiance crazy.

What would you recommend instead of MPEG2? Premiere was being so choosy at the time I was willing to accept whatever wouldn't make the dang thing crash. -_-

meleechampion
Org Profile

Post by meleechampion » Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:05 pm

I'll download (and most likely op) your video since you seem to be calling out for attention, but you should know better than to trust the star ratings. My first video, which has the worst editing, has the best star rating out of all of my videos. Go figure, people like what they like, and most likely its because of the anime/music source choice. You say people aren't going to like the fact that you used pokemon, well then you should know what to expect from the ratings.

ReannaKing
Org Profile

Post by ReannaKing » Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:08 pm

Calling out for attention? Oh, gods. I feel a bit ashamed that people are viewing this thread this way.

No, I'd just like advice, is all. Solid, empirical advice. I'm sorry you saw it as otherwise.

Malificus
Dr. Malpractice
Org Profile

Post by Malificus » Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:32 pm

ReannaKing wrote:I really don't understand what's going on. I think this is one of my best videos and the only OP I've gotten on it so far has been very positive
your one op was from a person who gives an average of at least 9 in every category, and has Pokemon as both their favorite anime, and their 7th favorite. All 10s isn't a huge feat in that circumstance. :\

Imma will write you an op for this though.

I agree 1s are low, but I'd give this a four at best, and that's only if you fixed the explicit problems, which is disappointing as I absolutely loves me mah pokeymans, and this idea could have been done much better.

EDIT: actually, I forgot to post this before I wrote the op, so your op is up now

saiyan_pride
Org Profile

Post by saiyan_pride » Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:37 pm

well overall the song fit the anime :!: , but cant give u much credit for that cause it was a pokemon song :sweat: . You did match the clips wit the lyrics nicely :up: . but the video quality wasn't really good :down: . I think this amv would hav bin better if u just used the old episodes instead of the newer ones :idea: but it was still good overall.
:arrow: 3/5

ReannaKing
Org Profile

Post by ReannaKing » Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:50 pm

I'm really grateful for the input. Unfortunately, most of the stuff I'm hearing are things I already know (mostly about drops in quality-- I couldn't do much to help that that I could tell-- the program was crashing with almost everything I tried to do as it was), or things that I disagree on (using a Pokemon song in a Pokemon video being bad). So I guess that's just how things are sometimes. In the end, I'll probably just make this AMV my baby to cherish, even if I'm the only one who really likes it.

I'd like to try to fix the abrupt cuts during the softer parts of the song and reincode it to fix interlacing and those annoying green blocks, but I probably won't end up doing much in the way of changing clips (this video has already been about two years in the making, you see, and frankly as much as I love it, I'd like to do a few cursory final edits and move on to something else). It's just going to boil down to the fact that you can't please everyone. But again, thank you.

saiyan_pride
Org Profile

Post by saiyan_pride » Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:25 pm

ReannaKing wrote: this video has already been about two years in the making,
wow 2 years??? :shock:

Return to “AMV Announcements & Feedback”