MY GIRLS [Vtubers & GIFs AMV]

Feedback on cataloged Anime Music Videos

Moderators: Mol, seasons

Forum rules
Please observe the following unique rules for this forum:
  • Please limit your new threads (not replies) to one per week. If you have several new videos to announce, create one thread for all the videos. (Note: if you forget one you can edit your post!)
  • Offsite links are allowed, but you are required to have a catalog entry for that video as well. Threads announcing videos that do not contain a catalog entry will be moved to the Awaiting Catalog Entry sub-forum and will be deleted in 2 weeks if an entry is not created.
  • When posting announcements, it is recommended that you include links to the catalog entries (using the video ID) in your post.
  • Videos that do not contain anime are allowed to be announced in the Other Videos section and are not required to have catalog entries.
ProstrateConstantly
Org Profile

MY GIRLS [Vtubers & GIFs AMV]

Post by ProstrateConstantly » Mon May 08, 2023 11:38 pm

This video ended up being the culmination of some random ideas I had kickin around, including using vtubers in some sorta musical way despite the majority of their content rarely being suited to such (my other attempt at this being the For Gura, Wherever I May Find Her vid on my Zane Kordic channel) and also this amazing archive of Geocities GIFs the Internet Archive put together which has an aesthetic that I think has such a great specificity (inspired in part by a great Death Grips interview I read where they talk about how GIFs are so unique in that they can abstract and draw sensitivity to small elements with their repetition, which reminded me of a few examples of early 00's AMVs that were composed of GIFs). So the result is a vid that's decidedly "out there" and maybe closer to an art installation than an AMV, but I'm super jazzed with how it turned out. At the very least I hope it can conjure some of the strange hypnotic feeling Animal Collective bring out through their weird flowy organic music and general aesthetic (I managed to catch a live show of theirs last year before I was too familiar with their music and it seriously floored me, highly highly rec'd if you have an opportunity to see em).

vivafruit
Org Profile

Re: MY GIRLS [Vtubers & GIFs AMV]

Post by vivafruit » Sun May 28, 2023 9:27 am

Very cool idea. This feels like it would be right at home in a modern art gallery. I like the juxtaposition between the older 90s era gifs in the center and the hyper modern images flashing at the peripherals. My eyes initially watch the vtubers, but ultimately end up focusing on the older animation in the center. I feel like there’s an aesthetic lesson kind of subtly woven in.

ProstrateConstantly
Org Profile

Re: MY GIRLS [Vtubers & GIFs AMV]

Post by ProstrateConstantly » Tue May 30, 2023 8:21 am

vivafruit wrote:
Sun May 28, 2023 9:27 am
Very cool idea. This feels like it would be right at home in a modern art gallery. I like the juxtaposition between the older 90s era gifs in the center and the hyper modern images flashing at the peripherals. My eyes initially watch the vtubers, but ultimately end up focusing on the older animation in the center. I feel like there’s an aesthetic lesson kind of subtly woven in.
Thank you so much for sharing this interpretation! I love that notion of the video drawing out an aesthetic commentary on the changing of anime aesthetics! It's always cool to see what kinda stuff can come out of a video when you're just making something on a sorta abstract instinct, cause you never know what kinda cool insights astute people like yourself may be able to pull outta it!

Return to “AMV Announcements & Feedback”