The Argonauts AMV (Tribute to Steve Reich)

Feedback on cataloged Anime Music Videos

Moderators: Mol, seasons

Forum rules
Please observe the following unique rules for this forum:
  • Please limit your new threads (not replies) to one per week. If you have several new videos to announce, create one thread for all the videos. (Note: if you forget one you can edit your post!)
  • Offsite links are allowed, but you are required to have a catalog entry for that video as well. Threads announcing videos that do not contain a catalog entry will be moved to the Awaiting Catalog Entry sub-forum and will be deleted in 2 weeks if an entry is not created.
  • When posting announcements, it is recommended that you include links to the catalog entries (using the video ID) in your post.
  • Videos that do not contain anime are allowed to be announced in the Other Videos section and are not required to have catalog entries.
Megamom
Org Profile

The Argonauts AMV (Tribute to Steve Reich)

Post by Megamom » Thu Apr 13, 2023 12:29 pm

This is a dream come true for me, I have always wanted to make an AMV with Steve Reich music, but his works are very complex and it is very difficult to adapt that complexity in an AMV, my solution, use Fibonacci sequences.

In total there are three Fibonacci sequences, which represent three different acts: The discovery (1,1,2,3,5,8,13,21(7). The bloody madness (1,1,2,3,5, 8(4,5),21(7.5) and The Lost (1,1,2,3,5(2.5),8,13,21(3) I think it's very good and works fantastically with the music (especially in the second act).

I decided to call the AMV as The Argonauts, the story of the first explorers of the Abyss, it reminded me of the old Greek legend (Argonaut, in Greek legend, any of a band of 50 heroes who went with Jason in the ship Argo to fetch the Golden Fleece).

Anime: Made in Abyss: The Golden City of the Scorching Sun
Music: Steve Reich. Three Movements - Mvt 1 London Symphony Orchestra · Michael Tilson Thomas.
Editor: Mega (Megamom)

NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE

seasons
Org Profile

Re: The Argonauts AMV (Tribute to Steve Reich)

Post by seasons » Thu May 04, 2023 8:52 am

The music in this AMV has a real tension to it but the mood is very complex, it changes in a very natural way and embodies a lot of different feelings.

The rhythm of the cuts and the general flow of this video is so unusual and strange. And this season of Made in Abyss, all the episodes you used to make this AMV, is one of the strangest and most alien-feeling things that I've ever watched, so something about the structure of this video feels appropriate for the material being used and the visuals that you're showing.

Having watched this anime, I can easily follow along with what's being shown and all of it holds a great deal of meaning to me. If I had not seen this anime, I really have no idea what my reaction to this AMV would be. It might look like a very "random scenes" AMV and I don't know if I would find any meaning in it or not.

This is a very hypnotic edit. It requires a patience to watch and, even then, I think every viewer who does agree to watch it attentively will come away with a very different experience of it. I'm still not sure what I think of it but I have watched it three times and each one of those was a very quick 6:42 for me, or at least I found it very easy to lose track of the time while watching.

Megamom
Org Profile

Post by Megamom » Mon May 22, 2023 11:23 am

seasons wrote:
Thu May 04, 2023 8:52 am
The music in this AMV has a real tension to it but the mood is very complex, it changes in a very natural way and embodies a lot of different feelings.

The rhythm of the cuts and the general flow of this video is so unusual and strange. And this season of Made in Abyss, all the episodes you used to make this AMV, is one of the strangest and most alien-feeling things that I've ever watched, so something about the structure of this video feels appropriate for the material being used and the visuals that you're showing.

Having watched this anime, I can easily follow along with what's being shown and all of it holds a great deal of meaning to me. If I had not seen this anime, I really have no idea what my reaction to this AMV would be. It might look like a very "random scenes" AMV and I don't know if I would find any meaning in it or not.

This is a very hypnotic edit. It requires a patience to watch and, even then, I think every viewer who does agree to watch it attentively will come away with a very different experience of it. I'm still not sure what I think of it but I have watched it three times and each one of those was a very quick 6:42 for me, or at least I found it very easy to lose track of the time while watching.
Thanks for coment!! :up:
NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE

vivafruit
Org Profile

Post by vivafruit » Sat May 27, 2023 4:12 pm

This was a wild experience. The cutting is quite crazy but has a strange pattern to it, which really drew me in. I really liked how well it fit the pensive mood of the song. I am guessing the Fibonacci sequence you're talking about was in the length of the cuts, but am not 100% sure. I have to say I was not a big fan of this season of Made in Abyss, but this amv raised my appreciation for it. Viewed through the lens of a traditional narrative, I'm not sure that season holds up compared to the movie and the first season. But viewed as a kaleidoscopic Freudian nightmare, it seems to pack a punch. :ying:

Megamom
Org Profile

Post by Megamom » Tue Jun 20, 2023 8:41 pm

vivafruit wrote:
Sat May 27, 2023 4:12 pm
But viewed as a kaleidoscopic Freudian nightmare, it seems to pack a punch. :ying:
hahahahaha LOL thanks man
NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE

Return to “AMV Announcements & Feedback”