Boom Sakuga - Made for Sashimi's "Deaf Edit" challenge

Feedback on cataloged Anime Music Videos

Moderators: Mol, seasons

Forum rules
Please observe the following unique rules for this forum:
  • Please limit your new threads (not replies) to one per week. If you have several new videos to announce, create one thread for all the videos. (Note: if you forget one you can edit your post!)
  • Offsite links are allowed, but you are required to have a catalog entry for that video as well. Threads announcing videos that do not contain a catalog entry will be moved to the Awaiting Catalog Entry sub-forum and will be deleted in 2 weeks if an entry is not created.
  • When posting announcements, it is recommended that you include links to the catalog entries (using the video ID) in your post.
  • Videos that do not contain anime are allowed to be announced in the Other Videos section and are not required to have catalog entries.
SilkAMV
Org Profile

Boom Sakuga - Made for Sashimi's "Deaf Edit" challenge

Post by SilkAMV » Thu Jul 21, 2022 6:00 am

This video isn't really "good" in the traditional sense. What makes it interesting is how it was made. As part of Sashimi's Deaf Edit challenge, rather than edit with the music directly, I only had a metronome to work with as well as a text description of the song. I only heard the song for the first time several days after completing the video. Here are the rest of the editors' videos for this challenge.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xifDrA_NiZo

My level of difficulty was described as "Very Challenging" as I was not given very much to work with. This is the video as I heard it while editing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coUZlvJxW54
I grew to hate and love these clicks, as they were my only method of syncing to the song.

The text description I was given to work with. I think mRC was assuming I was actually going to seek out and listen to the song myself before editing. I did not. I was given a few timecodes to work with, but they really only affected the "8-bit" section in the middle. All other sync was pretty much just luck.

Song Description by mRC:
This is a rap song. I'd recommend action, as there are a lot of gunshot sound effects that could be used for some really cool syncing. At around 1:13, I'd recommend doing some sort of filter on it, mosaic or something, to fit with the theme of the lyrics/music. For clip types, at around 2:12 I'd recommend some clips of characters sort of powering up, i.e. Goku going super saiyan or whatever you kids watch nowadays. If you're gonna work with this song, I STRONGLY suggest doing an anime mix, as this is also a mashup of this artists' other songs. Depending on where you download the song, there is a spoken word bit at the end. You can cut that out if you want, or you can just roll with it. They also mention an 'album' a lot in the chorus, so I'd put some sort of music anime in there. Hope this helps ^o^

Vars/SQ made some helpful additions:

"around 1:13" refers to 1:13 - 1:37 with a drop at 1:17

"around 2:12" is weird
It's either referring to 1:57 - 2:14 because of the lyrics or 2:15 - 2:36 because of a tone shift

And also since I feel bad I'm gonna cheat and just give you another timestamp that is in this section lol

2:15 music drops and is only vocals as a transition to another part of the song. 2:17 the music slams back in.

vkamv
Org Profile

Re: Boom Sakuga - Made for Sashimi's "Deaf Edit" challenge

Post by vkamv » Tue Jul 26, 2022 11:23 pm

Interesting AMV and creation concept. I think it did a pretty decent job of keeping with the pace of the song even though you didn't hear it while creating it. Of course it wasn't always on beat, but there were instances where it matched which I am not sure was completely coincidental or your use of metronome. It was actually refreshing that it wasn't so focused on sync which many AMVs are these days.

SilkAMV
Org Profile

Re: Boom Sakuga - Made for Sashimi's "Deaf Edit" challenge

Post by SilkAMV » Fri Jul 29, 2022 5:58 am

vkamv wrote:
Tue Jul 26, 2022 11:23 pm
Interesting AMV and creation concept. I think it did a pretty decent job of keeping with the pace of the song even though you didn't hear it while creating it. Of course it wasn't always on beat, but there were instances where it matched which I am not sure was completely coincidental or your use of metronome. It was actually refreshing that it wasn't so focused on sync which many AMVs are these days.
Thanks, I'm glad you liked it. Anything that hit on beat was thanks to the metronome. Anything else was pretty much just luck. For example, I accurately guessed when the intro of the song ended and the first verse began. There was other sync I didn't anticipate at all, like the "Na na nana nana na" part lining up exactly to where I used the rock band clip. If you watch the metronome version I linked, you can get a clear idea of what was coincidence and what wasn't. I'm one of those editors who is obsessed with sync and I can't tell if this challenge broke me out of my comfort zone or reinforced it. On the one hand, it's not nearly as synced to the song as I tend to do. On the other, I was laser-focused on syncing to those clicks.

Return to “AMV Announcements & Feedback”