Sit Around the Fire

Feedback on cataloged Anime Music Videos

Moderators: Mol, seasons

Forum rules
Please observe the following unique rules for this forum:
  • Please limit your new threads (not replies) to one per week. If you have several new videos to announce, create one thread for all the videos. (Note: if you forget one you can edit your post!)
  • Offsite links are allowed, but you are required to have a catalog entry for that video as well. Threads announcing videos that do not contain a catalog entry will be moved to the Awaiting Catalog Entry sub-forum and will be deleted in 2 weeks if an entry is not created.
  • When posting announcements, it is recommended that you include links to the catalog entries (using the video ID) in your post.
  • Videos that do not contain anime are allowed to be announced in the Other Videos section and are not required to have catalog entries.
vivafruit
Org Profile

Sit Around the Fire

Post by vivafruit » Sun Jul 03, 2022 8:56 pm

Ram Dass was a spiritual leader who first got kicked out of the psychology department in Harvard for allegedly giving a student psilocybin. After that he helped popularize eastern philosophy in the west. He's featured on this haunting track by Jon Hopkins, which is one of the most profound songs I've ever listened to. It comes from the album "Music for Psychedelic Therapy," which was my favorite album last year. This is what Jon Hopkins has to say about the track:
"Sit Around The Fire" exists from one of the deep synchronicities that ushered this thing (Music For Psychedelic Therapy) into being. I was contacted by East Forest, who had spent some time with Ram Dass in Hawaii before he passed. He was given access to several lesser-heard talks from the ’70s, and asked to set them to music. He sent me some starting points, including the beautiful choral vocals he recorded which open the piece. I put my headphones on and with Ram Dass’ voice inside my head, I sat at the piano and improvised. What you hear is the first thing that came out — it just appeared in response to the words.
I usually don't make single anime amvs, but in this case the themes of the song resonate so much with the themes of the eva rebuilds that it was really a perfect fit. A lot of the memorable scenes from the rebuilds seemed to just slide right into the song.

In a lot of ways this feels like a sequel to "Spiritual but not Religious" (one might call it a spiritual successor, harhar). "Spiritual but not Religious" ended up being one of my more popular amvs, which surprised me. I'm not sure Sit Around the Fire is going to match that but maybe it will surprise me too. It seems like the kind of video that most people will just bounce off of. But if a couple people are moved by it, that feels like it would be enough.

Last edited by vivafruit on Mon Jul 04, 2022 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SynaesthesiaVideos
Org Profile

Re: Sit Around the Fire

Post by SynaesthesiaVideos » Sun Jul 03, 2022 11:40 pm

I don't know what to say about this that I haven't said already about some of your other videos... just simply beautiful and profound. Every frame feels like its in the exact right place in time <3

vivafruit
Org Profile

Post by vivafruit » Mon Jul 04, 2022 3:18 pm

SynaesthesiaVideos wrote:
Sun Jul 03, 2022 11:40 pm
I don't know what to say about this that I haven't said already about some of your other videos...
Great, this is a convenient post, because it means I can pick anything you've ever said and pretend it applies to this amv, haha. One thing you mentioned at some point was that my stuff tends to invoke a specific emotion that is hard to name. I agree, and have been thinking about what, exactly, that emotion is and why it's so difficult to pin down. I listened to a recent Jon Hopkins interview that shed some light on it. Paraphrasing:
I'm obsessed with this crossover point between sadness and beauty. At some point if you pursue beauty far enough there's a point at which sadness creeps into it. And the same extreme sadness starts to veer into beauty after a while. There's something fascinating about those two core emotions.
There is a Buddhist concept that escaping the cycle of suffering and achieving nirvana comes in part from embracing all of the joy and sadness of life all at once. For seeing all of reality as it is and accepting it. This probably sounds extremely silly, but the fleeting emotion I've been chasing through these amvs might be nirvana itself.

SynaesthesiaVideos
Org Profile

Post by SynaesthesiaVideos » Tue Jul 05, 2022 12:04 pm

vivafruit wrote:
Mon Jul 04, 2022 3:18 pm
SynaesthesiaVideos wrote:
Sun Jul 03, 2022 11:40 pm

There is a Buddhist concept that escaping the cycle of suffering and achieving nirvana comes in part from embracing all of the joy and sadness of life all at once. For seeing all of reality as it is and accepting it. This probably sounds extremely silly, but the fleeting emotion I've been chasing through these amvs might be nirvana itself.
YES. That is the very specific feel I get from watching a lot of your vids :)

Megamom
Org Profile

Post by Megamom » Thu Jul 21, 2022 10:48 am

Holy shit, I really didn't feel the eight minutes that this lasted, I think this is the most sentimental AMV of 2022 so far!!
NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE

vivafruit
Org Profile

Post by vivafruit » Fri Jul 22, 2022 8:49 am

Megamom wrote:
Thu Jul 21, 2022 10:48 am
Holy shit, I really didn't feel the eight minutes that this lasted, I think this is the most sentimental AMV of 2022 so far!!
Thanks so much! Glad you liked it.

Return to “AMV Announcements & Feedback”