Akira: Shout (Tears for Fears)

Feedback on cataloged Anime Music Videos

Moderators: Mol, seasons

Forum rules
Please observe the following unique rules for this forum:
  • Please limit your new threads (not replies) to one per week. If you have several new videos to announce, create one thread for all the videos. (Note: if you forget one you can edit your post!)
  • Offsite links are allowed, but you are required to have a catalog entry for that video as well. Threads announcing videos that do not contain a catalog entry will be moved to the Awaiting Catalog Entry sub-forum and will be deleted in 2 weeks if an entry is not created.
  • When posting announcements, it is recommended that you include links to the catalog entries (using the video ID) in your post.
  • Videos that do not contain anime are allowed to be announced in the Other Videos section and are not required to have catalog entries.
Toji1996
Org Profile

Akira: Shout (Tears for Fears)

Post by Toji1996 » Fri May 13, 2022 1:36 pm

This AMV has been about a year in the making, though 90% of it was completed within 3 months.

I began to create it when, like some of my other AMVs, I was listening to music and wondering what it might be like to set it against an anime. So I found an AMV for Akira and played this song over it to get a feel, and it worked perfectly! If I recall, I got the idea for this song because I think it matched the story of Akira very well: a young boy who feels isolated, angry, and insecure wants to get something out - wants some power. While he gains great power and uses it with great irresponsibility, his friends also have something to get out, which is that they care for him and want him to stop.

Actually, the movie Akira's story is quite simple, especially given that it's a short movie based on an incomplete manga (at the time it was made). Therefore there wasn't much to explore in terms of theme, at least to my vision, so I was content with recreating the plot in a way that fits the song.

Enjoy!

Zeonic Freak
Org Profile

Re: Akira: Shout (Tears for Fears)

Post by Zeonic Freak » Fri May 13, 2022 5:14 pm

Dude, that was really amazing. I must've went back over scenes to just enjoy how you timed the editing to the beats of the song. I got real enjoyment out of that, it flowed so well for an extended version of that song. I felt like it wasn't dragging or anything. I hope other people can see that.

Zarxrax
Org Profile

Post by Zarxrax » Sun May 15, 2022 6:46 am

Wow, I really enjoyed this and I am quite surprised by that fact. I mean, this video does a lot of stuff that normally causes me to dislike a video. Super long at 7 minutes, kinda slow and repetitive song that I don't care much for, anime audio and sounds are mixed in (I'm not saying these are necessarily bad things, they are just things I personally don't tend to like). And yet somehow, I was completely glued to my screen until the very end. Good job on creating something so engaging and enjoyable!

SynaesthesiaVideos
Org Profile

Post by SynaesthesiaVideos » Mon May 16, 2022 10:09 pm

I am so jealous of how you were able to edit a 6 and a half minute am and keep it so engaging for the whole thing! This is a "raw" AMV at it's finest (✯ᴗ✯)

seasons
Org Profile

Post by seasons » Tue May 17, 2022 8:44 am

In terms of the audio mixing, incorporating sounds from the clips that you're using, this was done extremely effectively and with a restraint and subtlety that I don't think I've ever encountered before.

Only watched this once but I'm certain it won't be the last time.

Toji1996
Org Profile

Post by Toji1996 » Tue May 17, 2022 3:49 pm

Thanks everyone!
SynaesthesiaVideos wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 10:09 pm
I am so jealous of how you were able to edit a 6 and a half minute am and keep it so engaging for the whole thing! This is a "raw" AMV at it's finest (✯ᴗ✯)
seasons wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 8:44 am
In terms of the audio mixing, incorporating sounds from the clips that you're using, this was done extremely effectively and with a restraint and subtlety that I don't think I've ever encountered before.

Only watched this once but I'm certain it won't be the last time.
I'm glad it was engaging and the sounds were done well (at least compared to some of my others). I think my AMVs are slower than most so sustaining attention is a challenge.

Megamom
Org Profile

Post by Megamom » Wed May 18, 2022 9:25 am

I really like your editing style, it's unique and interesting, my favorite is still Everybody Wants to Rule the World, but this one is definitely awesome.
NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE

Fumbann
Org Profile

Post by Fumbann » Mon Jun 20, 2022 6:34 pm

I think this has become one of my favorite AMVs! I've watched it some weeks ago, but whenever I remember it I want to re-watch it again fully.
Like the other replies, I agree it is engaging through and through, and I've come to the conclusion that it's probably because of the way you choose 2 different parts of the movie to include at once (?) I don't know if I can explain it well, but you put two scenes of the movie that are separate in the timeline, both advance and escalate on their own, but putting them side-by-side makes it somehow more intense and makes me want to pay more attention.
For example at 2:19; Takashi on the street screaming at the dead guy Scene and Tetsuo at the hospital Scene switching back and forth. It also makes a smooth transition between which parts of the movie show up next, I just think it's really enjoyable and clever!
Somos cuerpos delirantes, melodías con sabor.

Return to “AMV Announcements & Feedback”