Happatai Daioh

Feedback on cataloged Anime Music Videos

Moderators: Mol, seasons

Forum rules
Please observe the following unique rules for this forum:
  • Please limit your new threads (not replies) to one per week. If you have several new videos to announce, create one thread for all the videos. (Note: if you forget one you can edit your post!)
  • Offsite links are allowed, but you are required to have a catalog entry for that video as well. Threads announcing videos that do not contain a catalog entry will be moved to the Awaiting Catalog Entry sub-forum and will be deleted in 2 weeks if an entry is not created.
  • When posting announcements, it is recommended that you include links to the catalog entries (using the video ID) in your post.
  • Videos that do not contain anime are allowed to be announced in the Other Videos section and are not required to have catalog entries.
TnAdct1
Org Profile

Happatai Daioh

Post by TnAdct1 » Wed May 11, 2022 10:13 pm

Got a couple of video announcements tonight.

First up is my latest video, one that is a 20th anniversary celebration of a show that had affected my anime viewing habits in a major way. |:>

Second, I finally got around to make the necessary changes to my second entry of the 2021 AWA Pro Contest (as well as updated a few jokes for them to work better).

Zarxrax
Org Profile

Re: Happatai Daioh

Post by Zarxrax » Thu May 12, 2022 2:34 pm

This Azumanga video makes me so happy. It feels like it could have been an AMV 20 years ago.
Did you write the wrong year at the end? Or you actually made this 20 years ago :)

TnAdct1
Org Profile

Post by TnAdct1 » Thu May 12, 2022 3:57 pm

Zarxrax wrote:
Thu May 12, 2022 2:34 pm
This Azumanga video makes me so happy. It feels like it could have been an AMV 20 years ago.
Did you write the wrong year at the end? Or you actually made this 20 years ago :)
Thanks for catching that typo. That's what happens when you to try to get a video finalized at 2:00 in the morning: you end up missing stuff that needed to be corrected.

Seriously, I ended up having to render this video (and upload the contest version on my Google Drive) three times because I noticed some errors slipping through the cracks (i.e. unintentional fades, lip flaps).

seasons
Org Profile

Post by seasons » Sat Jun 18, 2022 11:58 am

TnAdct1 wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 10:13 pm
Got a couple of video announcements tonight.

First up is my latest video, one that is a 20th anniversary celebration of a show that had affected my anime viewing habits in a major way. |:>

This AMV could have been made 20 years ago (I wrote this comment before reading Zarxrax's comment!), but the higher quality video and the subtlety of the visual gags and how you employ them also makes this a video that really couldn't have been made back then, if that makes any sense. I know this song, everyone does or thinks they do, but I had to check the official lyrics online because I had no idea if you were really playing them straight or making changes. And I love how you really played them very straight but only made changes when it was necessary and you did it in a way that felt clever and believable, never tipping your hand when you were doing it.

The editing of this was very basic but it was tasteful and smooth and didn't draw too much attention to itself, which I don't think you ever wanted to do and probably would have detracted from how well this does work as a simple fun AMV and a tribute that really does show how much you love this series. I didn't laugh out loud or anything while watching this but it was thoroughly enjoyable and relaxing to watch.
TnAdct1 wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 10:13 pm
Second, I finally got around to make the necessary changes to my second entry of the 2021 AWA Pro Contest (as well as updated a few jokes for them to work better).

I don't know what changes you made since the last time I saw this but I know that I enjoyed it much more this time around.

TnAdct1
Org Profile

Post by TnAdct1 » Sat Jun 18, 2022 1:09 pm

seasons wrote:
Sat Jun 18, 2022 11:58 am

This AMV could have been made 20 years ago (I wrote this comment before reading Zarxrax's comment!), but the higher quality video and the subtlety of the visual gags and how you employ them also makes this a video that really couldn't have been made back then, if that makes any sense. I know this song, everyone does or thinks they do, but I had to check the official lyrics online because I had no idea if you were really playing them straight or making changes. And I love how you really played them very straight but only made changes when it was necessary and you did it in a way that felt clever and believable, never tipping your hand when you were doing it.
On the higher quality video: A Blu-Ray version of the series was released in Japan a few years ago. Here's hoping that Sentai would have a stateside release of it sometime down the line (as I would definitely pick that up day 1).

On playing the lyrics straight: That was a big reason why I chose Yatta as the audio source for the video: reading the English translation of the lyrics, I realized that this song would fit Azumanga perfectly.
I don't know what changes you made since the last time I saw this but I know that I enjoyed it much more this time around.
The main changes I did were as follows:

1. I replaced the two jokes that would fly over the heads of people who aren't familiar with the AWA Pro contest (Upbeat Category and Saxophone) with a nod to Ya Boy Kongming (which has getting a lot of buzz this season) and the Super Mario anime (I had wanted to include that in the original video, but had to wait until a HD version was made to incorporate it).

2. For "Turning Eighteen", I swapped the source footage from Sayonara, Zetsubou-Sensei to Komi Can’t Communicate to make it easier for viewers to get (Zetsubou-Sensei was a basic reference to Kikuko Inoue, whereas Komi's mother, along with being voiced by Inoue, also tends to make reference to how she's "forever seventeen").

3. To avoid dating the video too much (too late, now that Berserk is starting up again :sweat: ), I swapped out Marcoss Frontier with Saint Young Men in the "American Release" joke, as the subject matter of that makes it less likely for the anime to get release stateside.

4. While Inferno Cop is indeed known for it's very limited animation, that was obviously intentional, whereas the opening minutes of Twinkle Nora Rock Me clearly shows that its animation budget was very limited.

momifrag
Org Profile

Post by momifrag » Tue Jun 21, 2022 8:17 pm

Really liked this!! The first amv is great, i watched it 3 times and the second one i laughed in some, very funny

Return to “AMV Announcements & Feedback”