Feeback on my AMV

Feedback on cataloged Anime Music Videos

Moderators: Mol, seasons

Forum rules
Please observe the following unique rules for this forum:
  • Please limit your new threads (not replies) to one per week. If you have several new videos to announce, create one thread for all the videos. (Note: if you forget one you can edit your post!)
  • Offsite links are allowed, but you are required to have a catalog entry for that video as well. Threads announcing videos that do not contain a catalog entry will be moved to the Awaiting Catalog Entry sub-forum and will be deleted in 2 weeks if an entry is not created.
  • When posting announcements, it is recommended that you include links to the catalog entries (using the video ID) in your post.
  • Videos that do not contain anime are allowed to be announced in the Other Videos section and are not required to have catalog entries.
boagz57
Org Profile

Feeback on my AMV

Post by boagz57 » Sun Apr 10, 2022 8:02 pm

Just wondering if people could give some feedback on an amv I just created. I don't make them often and would like to know what areas to improve on or what is good about the video. Any advice is appreciated.

Pure Madness

Kireblue
Forum Admin
Org Profile

Re: Feeback on my AMV

Post by Kireblue » Mon Apr 11, 2022 9:41 am

Welcome to the Org! The rules of announcing videos in the "AMV Announcement forum" require you to catalog your video first. So please do that as soon as possible. If you don't know how, here is the FAQ post about it: How to Catalog & Upload Videos

Until then, I'm going to move your thread to the “Awaiting Catalog Entry” forum. And I can move it back once I see that you've done it.

boagz57
Org Profile

Post by boagz57 » Mon Apr 11, 2022 11:47 pm

Okay, I believe I cataloged my video (Pure Madness - Ruelle Madness). Let me know if there was something I did wrong

seasons
Org Profile

Post by seasons » Thu Apr 21, 2022 12:05 pm

There are some pretty well-edited passages throughout this video. The theme is consistent and it's obvious what you're going for and I think that a lot of viewers who gravitate towards this kind of epic/dark vibes are going to get a lot out of this. Effective use of match cuts and internal sync. And when the song reaches its climax, the visuals really do reflect what the music sounds like.

My only complaint, or maybe what held me back from really feeling everything that you were going for here, was the introduction to this AMV, or the first 30 seconds or so. There's a lot of action and intense scenes here, and this limits just how comparatively intense the rest of the video feels, or at least it doesn't give it quite as much room to build up into something bigger, from the beginning we're practically there already.

Or at least that was my impression on the first viewing. Watching it again, this section does feel a little toned down compared to what comes later, so it's obvious that you put thought into how that was structured and the effect that it would have on viewers. I think most AMV fans just like more action and visually active scenes in these kind of videos than I do, so I'm probably in the minority with this particular reaction.
boagz57 wrote:
Sun Apr 10, 2022 8:02 pm
I don't make them often
The only other video on your YouTube account--with a juicy 5.5 million views--is from 11 years ago! What brought you back into editing?

boagz57
Org Profile

Post by boagz57 » Sun Apr 24, 2022 4:13 pm

Thank you for your comments. Really appreciate it. Ya I try to balance the need to make the beginning of the video interesting while also trying to keep the pace a bit slower/less chaotic. I guess in my mind if the beginning of the video is too slow the viewer will lose interest and not view the rest. This is actually the problem I'm trying to balance with another video I'm making since the beginning of the song is pretty slow, and the clips will reflect that pace with less motion in them. My current idea is to try and make the beginning more visually interesting by providing faster cuts and maybe mix some audio in there to keep the viewer hooked until the action parts.
The only other video on your YouTube account--with a juicy 5.5 million views--is from 11 years ago! What brought you back into editing?
Haha, ya. I have no idea how that got up to so many views. Perfect timing I guess. And I don't know, I just had a couple songs recently hit me in a certain way that made me want to try and create something with them. I also found davinici resolve which I tend to like better and makes editing a bit more manageable then sony vegas (which I used for all my amvs prior).

Megamom
Org Profile

Post by Megamom » Mon Apr 25, 2022 10:36 am

Good AMV I like how concise the idea is and how it conveys it to the viewer. My only two complaints, first, I totally agree with Seasons on how the AMV starts, I would say that it is the weakest part of the work, second, the strange cut of music at 1:24 to 1:26, I checked the original song and at It seems that it is due to some technical and not human problem, in any case, it is advisable to try to avoid these errors.
NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE

boagz57
Org Profile

Post by boagz57 » Mon Apr 25, 2022 8:16 pm

Thank you for your input. I'm definitely thinking about how to better handle the beginning of videos. Hoping to better balance this with my next video.
the strange cut of music at 1:24 to 1:26
Ha, ya, I noticed that after I already exported it and loaded it to youtube. Wish I could re-upload but oh well.

Return to “AMV Announcements & Feedback”