DBZ Cooler's Revenge / 30 Seconds To Mars

Feedback on cataloged Anime Music Videos

Moderators: Mol, seasons

Forum rules
Please observe the following unique rules for this forum:
  • Please limit your new threads (not replies) to one per week. If you have several new videos to announce, create one thread for all the videos. (Note: if you forget one you can edit your post!)
  • Offsite links are allowed, but you are required to have a catalog entry for that video as well. Threads announcing videos that do not contain a catalog entry will be moved to the Awaiting Catalog Entry sub-forum and will be deleted in 2 weeks if an entry is not created.
  • When posting announcements, it is recommended that you include links to the catalog entries (using the video ID) in your post.
  • Videos that do not contain anime are allowed to be announced in the Other Videos section and are not required to have catalog entries.
ForSomethin
Org Profile

DBZ Cooler's Revenge / 30 Seconds To Mars

Post by ForSomethin » Fri Mar 25, 2022 10:36 am

Hello! This is my first attempt at creating an AMV.
I worked pretty hard on this, so I hope you'll like it. :sweat:

Thanks for watching! :beer:

SilkAMV
Org Profile

Re: DBZ Cooler's Revenge / 30 Seconds To Mars

Post by SilkAMV » Sat Mar 26, 2022 1:07 pm

I actually quite liked this. For a first AMV, it's not bad at all. It's certainly better than my first AMV. You have a basic sense of dramatic flow, using calm scenes for quiet parts and action for the intense parts. While you only used the song to tell the narrative of the movie in a nutshell, it was cohesive, complete, and easy to follow. It was a bit on the long side, but because the story was clear, it didn't feel like it dragged. Though, in the future, I would recommend generally keeping your AMVs under 5 minutes, either by using shorter songs or cutting down the longer ones.

There wasn't much sync to speak of, mostly being just the clips playing with the music in the background, but there were a few parts where you definitely used internal sync to match the rhythm of the music. For future videos, you should try to increase the rate of sync between the clips and the music.

Would I recommend this video to other people as its own standalone piece of art? No, I wouldn't. Putting this song and this movie together doesn't really add up to more than the sum of its parts. I've already seen the movie and this is just a condensed version of it with a good song playing alongside it. If I were to make an analogy, this is the AMV equivalent of tracing over another drawing rather than making your own. That's a fine place to start, and there's no shame in it, so long as your goal is to eventually create something with an element of YOU added to it.

In the end, I wasn't bored while watching this, as I got to enjoy re-watching a movie I liked with a good song. By that measure, you've made a good AMV and established a foundation to build on for future projects.

ForSomethin
Org Profile

Post by ForSomethin » Sun Mar 27, 2022 11:29 am

Thank you very much for watching the video, your kind words, and for your constructive feedback. My level of English does not allow me to answer with long sentences. But you're right, I just wanted to illustrate the OAV with music, not necessarily make a very original work. This is also the reason why the video is a bit long, because I wanted to tell the whole story.

Thanks again, it's really appreciated. Cheers! :beer:

seasons
Org Profile

Post by seasons » Fri Apr 01, 2022 10:20 am

I have never seen this movie, I don't know these characters, but I was able to follow along with this. I don't think it told a very interesting story but there was never a moment where I didn't understand what was happening and how it related to the scenes that came before it.

It can be very difficult to ask viewers to watch a 7 minute-long AMV, but I respect that you made the video that YOU wanted to make and didn't follow trends that encourage new editors to make very short videos packed with effects. You had something much longer and much slower in mind and you stuck to your guns and that is very cool.

The beginning of this is very slow and yes, you're probably going to lose a lot of viewers there, but I like how the scenes had a quiet but ominous tone to them that was very fitting with the quiet and restrained feel of the beginning of this song. The internal sync that you introduce at about 1:30 is VERY effective. There were several moments like that throughout the video and you used those opportunities very effectively. It's easy to watch this and understand why it's structured the way that it is and why you made the decisions that you made. There's a good sense of build up and release throughout this AMV.

I don't have very much else to say about this except that I am looking forward to seeing another video from you in the future, especially if the song is shorter, as that often makes moments of sync in either action or upbeat videos hit a bit harder and work more effectively.

ForSomethin
Org Profile

Post by ForSomethin » Fri Apr 01, 2022 12:09 pm

Thank you very much for taking the time to watch the entire video, your constructive feedback and interesting opinion. I also thank you for having understood the intention of telling the story more than respecting codes.
As said before, my level of English is quite poor, so I just thank and appreciate the advice.
I'm not sure I'll create more AMVs in the future, but thank you for your interest anyway!

:up:

Return to “AMV Announcements & Feedback”