Outride a Bobby

Feedback on cataloged Anime Music Videos

Moderators: Mol, seasons

Forum rules
Please observe the following unique rules for this forum:
  • Please limit your new threads (not replies) to one per week. If you have several new videos to announce, create one thread for all the videos. (Note: if you forget one you can edit your post!)
  • Offsite links are allowed, but you are required to have a catalog entry for that video as well. Threads announcing videos that do not contain a catalog entry will be moved to the Awaiting Catalog Entry sub-forum and will be deleted in 2 weeks if an entry is not created.
  • When posting announcements, it is recommended that you include links to the catalog entries (using the video ID) in your post.
  • Videos that do not contain anime are allowed to be announced in the Other Videos section and are not required to have catalog entries.
Zeonic Freak
Org Profile

Outride a Bobby

Post by Zeonic Freak » Sun Jan 02, 2022 10:53 am

Something I've been playing around with since end of September 2021. I was able to finish it up on November 10th and been wanting to release this as one of my first videos of 2022. I got inspired to make something like this from seeing other editors entries for AWA Pro contest and wanted to experiment with just making up stuff.

The rip of this anime, Bobby's Girl, is straight from my own laserdisc copy of the OVA. I don't see much love or even attention to this unique OVA and I feel that it deserves some kind of light. Hope you guys enjoy.

Song is by Koichi "Mickey" Namiki, former guitarist for the Sega Sound Team band in the 90's who did this version of Outride a Crisis from the SEGA arcade game Super Hang On.

SilkAMV
Org Profile

Re: Outride a Bobby

Post by SilkAMV » Wed Jan 05, 2022 11:00 am

This is so oldschool it makes David Hasselhoff look like...well, David Hasselhoff. My chest hair turned to brillo and I spontaneously sprouted a mullet as soon as I clicked play. It was obvious you ripped and prepared the source yourself from an obsolete format, and it gives the video real personality that carries through to the editing. I don't think I've seen an AMV about a man's love for his bike before either.

Zeonic Freak
Org Profile

Post by Zeonic Freak » Thu Jan 06, 2022 7:43 pm

SilkAMV wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 11:00 am
This is so oldschool it makes David Hasselhoff look like...well, David Hasselhoff. My chest hair turned to brillo and I spontaneously sprouted a mullet as soon as I clicked play. It was obvious you ripped and prepared the source yourself from an obsolete format, and it gives the video real personality that carries through to the editing. I don't think I've seen an AMV about a man's love for his bike before either.
Is your chest hair long enough to perm? :rofl: I appreciate the feedback.

Bobby's Girl isn't a hard OVA to follow, its very unique in its own way. I think the only exposure im aware of is that the Anime World Order podcast did a review of it well over a decade ago, and not sure how many people since then have actually seen it. The black and white segment I believe was paid homage to A-ha "Take on Me" video, which I really want to say came out before this OVA did. It's pretty certain the animators were inspired to adapt that to this title just because they wanted to do it, it adds that extra layer of uniqueness to it.

animefan1
Org Profile

Post by animefan1 » Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:00 pm

SilkAMV wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 11:00 am
Well minus that part about the chest hair and mullet, I shared your exact same sentiments. (And I KNEW those were jokes there SilkAMV, just in case you were wondering)

And to you Zeonic Freak, granted I've only seen a couple of all instrumental AMV's, but let me say, that you pulled this one off quite well!
Shenanicon AMV Showcase Staff (2024- ) (https://shenanicon.com)

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man HOW to fish and you feed him for life."
-Lao Tzu via Mr. White (Tenkai Knights)

Zeonic Freak
Org Profile

Post by Zeonic Freak » Fri Jan 21, 2022 4:10 pm

animefan1 wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:00 pm

Well minus that part about the chest hair and mullet, I shared your exact same sentiments. (And I KNEW those were jokes there SilkAMV, just in case you were wondering)

And to you Zeonic Freak, granted I've only seen a couple of all instrumental AMV's, but let me say, that you pulled this one off quite well!
Much appreciated, I thank you for your comments. I have some more instrumental ideas to do in the future so i'll get to those in due time.

animefan1
Org Profile

Post by animefan1 » Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:13 pm

Zeonic Freak wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 4:10 pm
animefan1 wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:00 pm

Much appreciated, I thank you for your comments. I have some more instrumental ideas to do in the future so i'll get to those in due time.
Oooh, i'm looking forward to it!
Shenanicon AMV Showcase Staff (2024- ) (https://shenanicon.com)

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man HOW to fish and you feed him for life."
-Lao Tzu via Mr. White (Tenkai Knights)

seasons
Org Profile

Post by seasons » Mon Mar 07, 2022 6:53 pm

There are AMVs that evoke an "80s vibe" in an exagerrated pastiche sort of way (which can often be really good!) and then there are AMVs like this that actually feel like they were made 35 years ago and have just been locked away in a vault somewhere, waiting to be rediscovered.

The laserdisc rip does give this a feel and texture that adds a difficult to describe quality to this that I rather enjoyed.

Solid editing, very fitting both the visuals and the music, very stylish and upbeat yet it still felt somewhat restrained (maybe it's the earthy color scheme of so many of these scenes?), not at all what I expected to watch this morning!

Zeonic Freak
Org Profile

Post by Zeonic Freak » Tue Mar 08, 2022 9:58 am

seasons wrote:
Mon Mar 07, 2022 6:53 pm
There are AMVs that evoke an "80s vibe" in an exagerrated pastiche sort of way (which can often be really good!) and then there are AMVs like this that actually feel like they were made 35 years ago and have just been locked away in a vault somewhere, waiting to be rediscovered.

The laserdisc rip does give this a feel and texture that adds a difficult to describe quality to this that I rather enjoyed.

Solid editing, very fitting both the visuals and the music, very stylish and upbeat yet it still felt somewhat restrained (maybe it's the earthy color scheme of so many of these scenes?), not at all what I expected to watch this morning!
I'm glad you enjoyed it, thank you. I just did a straight rip from my Pioneer player to my computer, and I didn't alter or change anything on the rip, just wanted to look natural. I wanted to let the music tell the story of the OVA.

Return to “AMV Announcements & Feedback”