A Jedi's Survival

Feedback on cataloged Anime Music Videos

Moderators: Mol, seasons

Forum rules
Please observe the following unique rules for this forum:
  • Please limit your new threads (not replies) to one per week. If you have several new videos to announce, create one thread for all the videos. (Note: if you forget one you can edit your post!)
  • Offsite links are allowed, but you are required to have a catalog entry for that video as well. Threads announcing videos that do not contain a catalog entry will be moved to the Awaiting Catalog Entry sub-forum and will be deleted in 2 weeks if an entry is not created.
  • When posting announcements, it is recommended that you include links to the catalog entries (using the video ID) in your post.
  • Videos that do not contain anime are allowed to be announced in the Other Videos section and are not required to have catalog entries.
SilkAMV
Org Profile

A Jedi's Survival

Post by SilkAMV » Sat Dec 11, 2021 10:41 am

After spending almost four years on my last video, it feels really strange to start and finish a project in about a month and a half. This is one of those ideas that I got while listening to music in the car and got started as soon as I could.

The actual editing was pretty much completed in a week, and I thought I was going to be done in no time. Then I thought "Hey, what if I used masking to pop out a few key scenes beyond the aspect ratio?" I told myself it would only be for a few parts of the video. Over a month later, I had begun to suspect I was addicted to masking, because I'd pretty much masked out the whole thing other than the intro and outro, which I was firmly determined to leave untouched.

The end result is either a grotesque monument to a lack of self-control, or a half decent AMV with a bit of unnecessary flair. Either way, I'm happy with it.

SynaesthesiaVideos
Org Profile

Re: A Jedi's Survival

Post by SynaesthesiaVideos » Sat Dec 11, 2021 11:03 am

I am trying to find the words to describe how much I loved watching this.

Firstly, I was already a big fan of this song, Mitch Murder and the whole Kung Fury album.. so I was pretty much guaranteed to like it. But the scene selection, and the transitions, the whole flow of it really nails the vibe of the music. Every scene seemed to blend seamlessly into each other.
And your decision to mask around the black bars.... what a stroke of genius. I didn't notice until about halfway through but my jaw hit the floor when I realized what I was watching. You have now made 2 of my top favorite AMVs this year :D

10/10. You have Hassled my Hoff 8-)

Megamom
Org Profile

Post by Megamom » Mon Dec 13, 2021 11:58 am

True Survivor is one of my favorite songs of all my life (obviously I love Kung Fury too) I really love when someone makes a good selection of music (for me music is the most important thing in an AMV) like in this case. Also, I want to congratulate you for the perfect masking, and the edition, which is at the height of the song, good work :D
NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE

vivafruit
Org Profile

Post by vivafruit » Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:39 pm

Really fun video - the gimmick never gets old and the song/source pairing works great. I'm also super impressed you got this much masking done in 1.5 months. Hats off!

SilkAMV
Org Profile

Post by SilkAMV » Wed Dec 15, 2021 6:27 pm

SynaesthesiaVideos wrote:
Sat Dec 11, 2021 11:03 am
I am trying to find the words to describe how much I loved watching this.

Firstly, I was already a big fan of this song, Mitch Murder and the whole Kung Fury album.. so I was pretty much guaranteed to like it. But the scene selection, and the transitions, the whole flow of it really nails the vibe of the music. Every scene seemed to blend seamlessly into each other.
And your decision to mask around the black bars.... what a stroke of genius. I didn't notice until about halfway through but my jaw hit the floor when I realized what I was watching. You have now made 2 of my top favorite AMVs this year :D

10/10. You have Hassled my Hoff 8-)
:ying: I think I've read this a hundred times, it makes me so happy. Every reaction I was hoping for is in this response. Thank you so much.
Megamom wrote:
Mon Dec 13, 2021 11:58 am
True Survivor is one of my favorite songs of all my life (obviously I love Kung Fury too) I really love when someone makes a good selection of music (for me music is the most important thing in an AMV) like in this case. Also, I want to congratulate you for the perfect masking, and the edition, which is at the height of the song, good work :D
It's one of my favorite songs too! I was honestly surprised that it turned out to be such a fit for Star Wars: Visions. Many thanks for your congratulations. I had tons of doubts that the masking would be worth it, and feedback like this has been a great relief.
vivafruit wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:39 pm
Really fun video - the gimmick never gets old and the song/source pairing works great. I'm also super impressed you got this much masking done in 1.5 months. Hats off!
It helped that I only had to mask the top and bottom of the screen. And since I had to zoom in, sometimes the sides were cut off as well. It was a lot of work for sure, but not as much as it seems. For the most part, every clip only took a few hours instead of a few days.

SailorTardis
Org Profile

Post by SailorTardis » Thu Dec 16, 2021 12:54 am

This is AMAZING! I love the masking work and wow, the video flows REALLY well. I haven't heard much of this song before besides watching Kung Fury for a film class, and now I am hooked on the song as well! One of the best AMVs I have seen, frankly, ever.
"Of course! Don't you know anything about science?"

seasons
Org Profile

Post by seasons » Sat Jan 22, 2022 1:07 pm

This is really slick and cool and the "gimmick" is far more effective than I ever would have considered possible. Fantastic stuff.

SilkAMV
Org Profile

Post by SilkAMV » Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:34 pm

seasons wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 1:07 pm
This is really slick and cool and the "gimmick" is far more effective than I ever would have considered possible. Fantastic stuff.
Thank you! And thank you for your comments on Crack's list as well.

Return to “AMV Announcements & Feedback”