Cowboy Bebop [Wild is the Wind (Live) — Nina Simone]

Feedback on cataloged Anime Music Videos

Moderators: Mol, seasons

Forum rules
Please observe the following unique rules for this forum:
  • Please limit your new threads (not replies) to one per week. If you have several new videos to announce, create one thread for all the videos. (Note: if you forget one you can edit your post!)
  • Offsite links are allowed, but you are required to have a catalog entry for that video as well. Threads announcing videos that do not contain a catalog entry will be moved to the Awaiting Catalog Entry sub-forum and will be deleted in 2 weeks if an entry is not created.
  • When posting announcements, it is recommended that you include links to the catalog entries (using the video ID) in your post.
  • Videos that do not contain anime are allowed to be announced in the Other Videos section and are not required to have catalog entries.
yearzero
Org Profile

Cowboy Bebop [Wild is the Wind (Live) — Nina Simone]

Post by yearzero » Thu Nov 18, 2021 3:27 pm

I have been working on an AMV for a little while now and just finished it up recently, I thought now would be a good time to post since the Netflix adaptation is coming out this week. I had been listening to Nina Simone's album "Wild is the Wind" a lot over the last couple of years and that song in particular had some of the deep sentiments of longing and chance that run through Cowboy Bebop and made me think they would be a good fit.

I had done a test of this AMV about a year or so ago, but hadn't re-watched the show in it's entirety at that point (only up to episode 5) so my initial trial had taken the fall from the church window by Spike and hoped to intercut that with shots from all points of the show and I had done a rough test of this with the limited episodes I had on hand. I only mention this because I ended up using that whole sequence 2:26 - 3:58 without any of my own edits (except for a change in the shot before the church window exploding). I made all the cuts to the shots on my timeline with the intention of moving them around but it just fit too well for me to mess with, just thought y'all would enjoy that info. :wink:

CrackTheSky
has trust issues
Org Profile

Re: Cowboy Bebop [Wild is the Wind (Live) — Nina Simone]

Post by CrackTheSky » Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:55 am

Bizarrely, seasons and I were talking about you only a few days before you posted this video, wondering if you'd ever come back. Good timing!

As for the video, I like it, although there are elements I wish had been done maybe a little differently -- for example, there seems to be a discontinuity in the chronology of your scene selection where Spike and Vicious are fighting in the first half of the video, the grenade goes off (implying Vicious dies) and then you show them fighting again near the end of the video; the cuts to the title screens at random points throughout the video also kind of interrupted the flow and mood when they popped up. Overall I just kind of wish the video had more structure and a clearer narrative thread running through it.

That said, I still enjoyed this one a lot. The mood is spot-on, and while it can feel jumpy and random in terms of scene selection, you clearly hit on the themes of loss and longing (as you mentioned) that run through the music. I also appreciate the choice to edit to a song like this; jazz rarely gets the AMV treatment so I'm always happy when people use it in their videos, and I think you did the song justice overall. Good work!

Megamom
Org Profile

Re: Cowboy Bebop [Wild is the Wind (Live) — Nina Simone]

Post by Megamom » Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:22 pm

Bro Nina Simone is my god and your AMV is my gospel 🥰
NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE

Return to “AMV Announcements & Feedback”