MEET ME ON THE DESERTSHORE [DESERTSHORE re-release]

Feedback on cataloged Anime Music Videos

Moderators: Mol, seasons

Forum rules
Please observe the following unique rules for this forum:
  • Please limit your new threads (not replies) to one per week. If you have several new videos to announce, create one thread for all the videos. (Note: if you forget one you can edit your post!)
  • Offsite links are allowed, but you are required to have a catalog entry for that video as well. Threads announcing videos that do not contain a catalog entry will be moved to the Awaiting Catalog Entry sub-forum and will be deleted in 2 weeks if an entry is not created.
  • When posting announcements, it is recommended that you include links to the catalog entries (using the video ID) in your post.
  • Videos that do not contain anime are allowed to be announced in the Other Videos section and are not required to have catalog entries.
AbrogateNeed
Org Profile

MEET ME ON THE DESERTSHORE [DESERTSHORE re-release]

Post by AbrogateNeed » Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:33 pm

"This video is certainly not for the average AMV fan. It’s unsettling and downright repulsive at its worst, but that’s kind of the point — you don’t watch this one to just sit and enjoy. It’s a video that provokes a response from deep within the viewer, on a primal level. It’s visually remarkable even in its most off-putting moments; it flows and swirls and dazzles with every movement, every transformative motion. It’s captivating and I would never ask for the ludicrous amount of time it requests of me back — watching this isn’t just time set aside for entertainment, it’s a kind of investment, and it pays its dividends immediately." ~ CrackTheSky

NSFW

Megamom
Org Profile

Re: MEET ME ON THE DESERTSHORE [DESERTSHORE re-release]

Post by Megamom » Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:58 pm

Wooow I like music, Nico can be an interesting artist to check out later. Regarding the film, I must admit that I saw it a few years ago at a film festival in my country, it was audacious and epilepsy for me 😵, it was an interesting experience, I recommend it if someone has not seen it. About the AMV, I like the use of color, the saturation gives more firmness to the images and it looks like a painting in movement, I liked the part of the orgy 11:30 (woow haha), in the movie it had disco music in the background (I remember) here I feel better and more emotional, it really is not an AMV for everyone, and I recommend watching the movie before, I think it is better enjoyed that way, good work 😎
NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE

AbrogateNeed
Org Profile

Re: MEET ME ON THE DESERTSHORE [DESERTSHORE re-release]

Post by AbrogateNeed » Thu Nov 11, 2021 12:45 am

Ay Megamom thanks for watching! Yea Nico is absolutely phenomenal, her work with The Velvet Underground + her solo releases are highly worth seeking out (I think my favorite as a whole is still The Marble Index, but this Desertshore album probably has her highest highs. Some other tracks of hers that are major for me are "I'll Be Your Mirror", "These Days", and "Femme Fatale").

It's funny that you mention the experience being improved by having seen Belladonna of Sadness considering I've never sat down and conventionally "watched" the film, I just saw some screencaps from it and knew it'd be a good fit for this album (which funnily enough I hadn't actually heard in full before making this AMV either), and went shot for shot through it without audio or subtitles both for the initial creation of the video as well as this remaster. I think the experience of discovering both those works for the first time simultaneously actually kinda comes through in this video, which lends to a freewheelin' and spontaneous flow to it.

Also I'm so glad the notion of the video feeling like a moving painting translated! A big inspiration for the look of this remaster was this Van Gogh painting I saw at a local presentation recently (this painting specifically), and of course Belladonna of Sadness has a certain painterly feel already, but I was hoping to really accentuate a sort of 3 dimensional texture to it with the "convolution kernel" effect I added.

As an aside today I thought it could be cool to try editing a trailer or promo for this video (similar to what I've done in the past with Spirit of Eden and BURNOUT), and instead ended up editing a separate AMV with a totally different tone and concept using mostly footage from Belladonna of Sadness that I didn't use here. I'm going to sit with it for a day or two before publishing it but stay tuned!

Return to “AMV Announcements & Feedback”