Spellbound

Feedback on cataloged Anime Music Videos

Moderators: Mol, seasons

Forum rules
Please observe the following unique rules for this forum:
  • Please limit your new threads (not replies) to one per week. If you have several new videos to announce, create one thread for all the videos. (Note: if you forget one you can edit your post!)
  • Offsite links are allowed, but you are required to have a catalog entry for that video as well. Threads announcing videos that do not contain a catalog entry will be moved to the Awaiting Catalog Entry sub-forum and will be deleted in 2 weeks if an entry is not created.
  • When posting announcements, it is recommended that you include links to the catalog entries (using the video ID) in your post.
  • Videos that do not contain anime are allowed to be announced in the Other Videos section and are not required to have catalog entries.
SynaesthesiaVideos
Org Profile

Spellbound

Post by SynaesthesiaVideos » Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:25 am

Please use headphones when viewing

I had been wanting to make a video with this song for the equinox... there's just something about it I find very enchanting and intensely beautiful. I used a live version that was recorded outside by a fjord in Norway, mainly because the studio version doesn't do the song justice imo. I decided to use a single episode of The Ancient Magus' Bride for simplicity's sake, and because its setting matches the vibe of the song.

Happy Equinox

vivafruit
Org Profile

Re: Spellbound

Post by vivafruit » Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:57 am

This one takes some trust in the creator that it's going somewhere, but I felt rewarded at the end. It's a very unique song and I think you captured the mood of it perfectly. I have been wanting to make a tribal song amv for a while now but have been putting it off. Great to see someone else working with it.

The scene of the girl disintegrated felt too well animated not to include, but I'm not sure if you chose the right spot for it. She's perfectly fine in the next shot, so I felt a little narrative dissonance there. There were plenty of scenes where she is "waking up" and I wonder if you could have paired the disintegration shot with one of those.

Otherwise, I had a good time! Really nice mood setting and world building, with suitably trippy visuals when the song breaks down into more primal chanting.

SynaesthesiaVideos
Org Profile

Post by SynaesthesiaVideos » Wed Sep 29, 2021 4:35 pm

vivafruit wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:57 am
The scene of the girl disintegrated felt too well animated not to include, but I'm not sure if you chose the right spot for it. She's perfectly fine in the next shot, so I felt a little narrative dissonance there. There were plenty of scenes where she is "waking up" and I wonder if you could have paired the disintegration shot with one of those.
I completely agree with this this criticism! My excuse is that I chose to only use one episode (and OP) so my source material was very limited, and it was kind of a "spur of the moment" type of edit I wanted to get done in just a couple days. I was mainly trying to get the mood of the video right, which looks like I succeeded! :D

thanks for checking it out! I'd love to see how you'd tackle a more tribal edit ;)

seasons
Org Profile

Post by seasons » Sat Oct 02, 2021 9:35 pm

I have never seen this anime. Still, I thought I knew what it was about and had certain expectations for it: none of that played out here like I expected at all. And this AMV is dominated by visuals that I've never seen in anyone else's AMV made with this series. Or maybe I have seen them before, but they definitely never left an impression on me quite like this.

Reading that you only used one episode for this kind of makes sense in hindsight. Somehow I did not get that impression on my first viewings. There's an otherworldly feeling of beauty to this that runs a lot deeper than just seeing fantasy creatures and a fantasy setting. It's hard to explain. Everything just comes together here really nicely!

SynaesthesiaVideos
Org Profile

Post by SynaesthesiaVideos » Sun Oct 03, 2021 11:45 pm

seasons wrote:
Sat Oct 02, 2021 9:35 pm
I have never seen this anime. Still, I thought I knew what it was about and had certain expectations for it: none of that played out here like I expected at all. And this AMV is dominated by visuals that I've never seen in anyone else's AMV made with this series. Or maybe I have seen them before, but they definitely never left an impression on me quite like this.
that might be because the setting depicted in my vid (Iceland) only appears in 2 or 3 episodes :D and most of the AMVs I've seen with this anime are either "romance/sentimental" or "drama/character profile". I don't know what category mine fits in... "spiritual" maybe? I honestly didn't know how this edit would end up, I just started with a loose idea for the vibe and improvised :shrug:

CrackTheSky
has trust issues
Org Profile

Post by CrackTheSky » Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:01 pm

Really surprised by how much I liked this. Definitely one of those videos that takes some time to pay off but there were multiple moments in the second half of the video that took me by surprise and engaged me on a level I was not expecting. I love the restrained use of effects, too, but the effects you did use really pushed this above and beyond. Great job!

Return to “AMV Announcements & Feedback”