Right Click, Loop (FLCL)

Feedback on cataloged Anime Music Videos

Moderators: Mol, seasons

Forum rules
Please observe the following unique rules for this forum:
  • Please limit your new threads (not replies) to one per week. If you have several new videos to announce, create one thread for all the videos. (Note: if you forget one you can edit your post!)
  • Offsite links are allowed, but you are required to have a catalog entry for that video as well. Threads announcing videos that do not contain a catalog entry will be moved to the Awaiting Catalog Entry sub-forum and will be deleted in 2 weeks if an entry is not created.
  • When posting announcements, it is recommended that you include links to the catalog entries (using the video ID) in your post.
  • Videos that do not contain anime are allowed to be announced in the Other Videos section and are not required to have catalog entries.
ShadeTheNovice
Org Profile

Right Click, Loop (FLCL)

Post by ShadeTheNovice » Sun Mar 21, 2021 3:17 am

So I decided to make an AMV that is intended to be looped. To do so on the YouTube link below, simply right click the video and press Loop. The looping isn't seamless, but hopefully you get the idea.
I wasn't sure if this idea would work at all so do tell me how I did, I'm always up for some feedback.

Last edited by ShadeTheNovice on Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Katranat
Org Profile

Re: Right Click, Loop [FLCL]

Post by Katranat » Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:15 pm

This is really neat!

I assume you've done some kind of colour correction or tint (I'm honestly not the best at detecting that kind of stuff)? The colours really stand out, which is saying something as FLCL is quite colourful anyways, so I'm impressed that you managed to improve on that.

The looping aspect is interesting. I've come across looping AMV's before, but they've mostly been on sites which auto play, like instagram for example. They are also usually only 10-20 seconds long before they loop and mainly seem to exist to fulfill certain aesthetics or ideas that the editor couldn't fill a normal length AMV with.
Your video gives me more of a groundhog day vibe, we're on a journey that these characters are perpetually stuck in. Despite all the randomness, the way the cycle repeats also makes sense.
You've also got good sync going on which matches the sounds of the song quite nicely, so it's enjoyable to watch.

Awesome job!

(And you've also taught me something new. In all my years of using YouTube I never knew there was a loop option :sweat: )

ShadeTheNovice
Org Profile

Re: Right Click, Loop [FLCL]

Post by ShadeTheNovice » Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:45 pm

Katranat wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:15 pm
This is really neat!

I assume you've done some kind of colour correction or tint (I'm honestly not the best at detecting that kind of stuff)? The colours really stand out, which is saying something as FLCL is quite colourful anyways, so I'm impressed that you managed to improve on that.

The looping aspect is interesting. I've come across looping AMV's before, but they've mostly been on sites which auto play, like instagram for example. They are also usually only 10-20 seconds long before they loop and mainly seem to exist to fulfill certain aesthetics or ideas that the editor couldn't fill a normal length AMV with.
Your video gives me more of a groundhog day vibe, we're on a journey that these characters are perpetually stuck in. Despite all the randomness, the way the cycle repeats also makes sense.
You've also got good sync going on which matches the sounds of the song quite nicely, so it's enjoyable to watch.

Awesome job!

(And you've also taught me something new. In all my years of using YouTube I never knew there was a loop option :sweat: )
Thank you so much for the compliment! The colour correction was honestly a happy accident while I was importing the show. It looked really good though so I decided to stick with it. I do wish I can figure out what exactly I did to make the colours pop out like that, might wanna do that again for other projects.

Yeah I decided to take the idea of a looping AMV fully, making the theme of the AMV fit along with it. I'm glad that I managed to get that across.

(Also don't worry, it took me a while to figure out that you could loop like that on YouTube too :P )

seasons
Org Profile

Re: Right Click, Loop (FLCL)

Post by seasons » Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:16 pm

FLCL looks great here (maybe that's not too hard to accomplish but you'd be surprised how many ways editors can find to make it look not great), I love the music (most NES music is not going to translate to AMVs as well as this but this theme worked with this footage better than I ever could have imagined), I am actually watching this video looped right now and it works really well. I do wish that the looping was a little more seamless than it is but that's YouTube's fault, not yours.

I wonder how well it would loop in VLC or other media players. If there was ever a download option, I would be eager to find out.

This was silly and fun and every bit as replayable as a video like this needs to be.

ShadeTheNovice
Org Profile

Post by ShadeTheNovice » Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:35 pm

seasons wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:16 pm
FLCL looks great here (maybe that's not too hard to accomplish but you'd be surprised how many ways editors can find to make it look not great), I love the music (most NES music is not going to translate to AMVs as well as this but this theme worked with this footage better than I ever could have imagined), I am actually watching this video looped right now and it works really well. I do wish that the looping was a little more seamless than it is but that's YouTube's fault, not yours.

I wonder how well it would loop in VLC or other media players. If there was ever a download option, I would be eager to find out.

This was silly and fun and every bit as replayable as a video like this needs to be.
Thank you for the high praise! You can download the video off of YouTube (with the right website/program), but a download link would actually be a good idea to allow people to seamlessly loop it themselves with VLC or the like (though to loop seamlessly in VLC has its own issues). Here is a download link (https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dbsxqN ... sp=sharing), and you can also find it in the description of the video itself.

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Post by Scintilla » Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:21 pm

ShadeTheNovice wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:35 pm
seasons wrote:

Thank you for the high praise! You can download the video off of YouTube (with the right website/program), but a download link would actually be a good idea to allow people to seamlessly loop it themselves with VLC or the like (though to loop seamlessly in VLC has its own issues). Here is a download link (https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dbsxqN ... sp=sharing), and you can also find it in the description of the video itself.
Is this the part where I pop in to clarify that DIRECT links in the Org's video catalog entries are meant to be used for direct download links like the Google Drive link you just gave (anything where you can right-click and save the target directly as a video file), and the indirect links are for links that require an additional step or don't allow downloading at all, like the original Hosatchel link (or other streaming platforms)?
I feel this distinction is not being adequately explained on the relevant page ( http://www.a-m-v.org/members/members_ed ... _step4.php ), because I've seen an awful lot of people getting it wrong in the past few years and calling streaming links DIRECT.
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:

ShadeTheNovice
Org Profile

Post by ShadeTheNovice » Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:15 pm

Scintilla wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:21 pm
ShadeTheNovice wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:35 pm
seasons wrote:

Is this the part where I pop in to clarify that DIRECT links in the Org's video catalog entries are meant to be used for direct download links like the Google Drive link you just gave (anything where you can right-click and save the target directly as a video file), and the indirect links are for links that require an additional step or don't allow downloading at all, like the original Hosatchel link (or other streaming platforms)?
I feel this distinction is not being adequately explained on the relevant page ( http://www.a-m-v.org/members/members_ed ... _step4.php ), because I've seen an awful lot of people getting it wrong in the past few years and calling streaming links DIRECT.
Oh that's my bad, I'm fairly new to the site and I wasn't exactly sure what the distinction was when I first entered something. I have now fixed my catalog entries to follow this, and thank you for the clarification.

Return to “AMV Announcements & Feedback”