The Dust Shall Bear Witness

Feedback on cataloged Anime Music Videos

Moderators: Mol, seasons

Forum rules
Please observe the following unique rules for this forum:
  • Please limit your new threads (not replies) to one per week. If you have several new videos to announce, create one thread for all the videos. (Note: if you forget one you can edit your post!)
  • Offsite links are allowed, but you are required to have a catalog entry for that video as well. Threads announcing videos that do not contain a catalog entry will be moved to the Awaiting Catalog Entry sub-forum and will be deleted in 2 weeks if an entry is not created.
  • When posting announcements, it is recommended that you include links to the catalog entries (using the video ID) in your post.
  • Videos that do not contain anime are allowed to be announced in the Other Videos section and are not required to have catalog entries.
CrackTheSky
has trust issues
Org Profile

The Dust Shall Bear Witness

Post by CrackTheSky » Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:19 am

This video was created as a way for me to kind of work through some of the things I've been feeling as I've been reading about the Holocaust over the last couple months. It is not "about" the Holocaust, but the themes, imagery, and symbolism are intentional and reflective of my recent thought life on account of it. It's probably not a video you'll really enjoy, but in a weird way that's kind of the point.

vivafruit
Org Profile

Re: The Dust Shall Bear Witness

Post by vivafruit » Sun Mar 21, 2021 4:52 pm

I liked it. NTHT is one of my favorite series of all time - I've actually been looking for a place to use the HAIR SCENE since it's so iconic and powerful, but because of the aspect ratio I never got around to it. Glad to see it being used to great effect here. The melancholy song also captured the mood of the show well, especially the lyrics about crumbling into dust, which... yeah that's NTHT.

You mentioned personal symbolism and obviously I missed that part, but the scene selection was still powerful for me. You grabbed some of the most heartwrenching moments of the show (that poor cat!).

No clue if you've heard this one or not, but since you mentioned the Holocaust in your blurb I just have to recommend a song:

It's a high concept pop punk song about the singer's horny grandparents during the holocaust. The goofy premise doesn't quite fly, but the song flies anyway on broad emotional appeal. I've never heard anything quite like it.

seasons
Org Profile

Post by seasons » Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:31 pm

I love the gentle tone of this video.

Obviously, I'm speaking of the editing itself and not the content of this AMV. And yet, there's so many beautiful and quiet moments in this that completely defy how most editors would approach this kind of material.

I really enjoyed this, I'm hesitant to say so because that could come across in a way I really don't intend it to, or it could seem like I totally missed the point you were trying to make with this video. Some of these scenes are difficult to watch, but I never felt like you were exploiting them for shock value. This was a sad AMV but not in the SADDEST ANIME SCENES OF ALL TIME TRY NOT TO CRY CHALLENGE way that usually means.

It may be some time before I can say anything more about this but this is really something.

Megamom
Org Profile

Post by Megamom » Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:54 pm

"This is one of my more (most?) personal videos"

Making AMVs is fun, but sometimes it can be personal. I think that every piece of art must have a meaning, that gives it soul.

For me, this AMV goes further, it is an expression of anguish, it is dark yes, but, it means something to someone, you.
NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE

Return to “AMV Announcements & Feedback”