Darling in the FranXX - Nightlight

Feedback on cataloged Anime Music Videos

Moderators: Mol, seasons

Forum rules
Please observe the following unique rules for this forum:
  • Please limit your new threads (not replies) to one per week. If you have several new videos to announce, create one thread for all the videos. (Note: if you forget one you can edit your post!)
  • Offsite links are allowed, but you are required to have a catalog entry for that video as well. Threads announcing videos that do not contain a catalog entry will be moved to the Awaiting Catalog Entry sub-forum and will be deleted in 2 weeks if an entry is not created.
  • When posting announcements, it is recommended that you include links to the catalog entries (using the video ID) in your post.
  • Videos that do not contain anime are allowed to be announced in the Other Videos section and are not required to have catalog entries.
PsiKro
Org Profile

Darling in the FranXX - Nightlight

Post by PsiKro » Sun Oct 04, 2020 5:16 pm

Hi All,

I'm back with another AMV - my 4th this year, hoping I can keep this up!
My last few were all Anime Mixes, so I finally did another non-mix, this one is all Darling in the FranXX - hope you enjoy!

Darling in the FranXX「AMV」- Nightlight

Karmelin
Org Profile

Re: Darling in the FranXX - Nightlight

Post by Karmelin » Mon Oct 05, 2020 6:55 pm

Hi!

I like the loose style of cutting, you set some of them quite exact on the beat and many in between hits, but it feels natural and all good. Your fast cuts are especially good to watch. Still i sometimes wish you'd place some cuts tighter on the beat. Be aware that's also a matter of taste, so that's just how i feel. You cut in between full-screeen and bordered screens sometimes without a concept and as it may be a detail i think it's better if you avoid stuff like that (more of a detail of course).

I see you're using a lot of zoom-in transitions, especially at the beginning. If you use After Effects, you can improve those with some smooth zoom-ins (ease in & ease out), im pretty sure thats possible with a lot of other software too but might be called different. I don't know how much you wanna get into it but there is some magic possible only with zooms and realistic motion blur.

The connection of music and picture is excellent and makes your AMV that good.

Also good job on the distorted transitions, i know one sometimes doubts to use stuff like this.

PsiKro
Org Profile

Post by PsiKro » Sat Oct 10, 2020 1:52 am

Hey thanks a lot Karmelin!

I definitely did find it hard to work with the border and considered cropping vs just leaving it.
Also, yes completely agree with the zooms! I've been trying a few different techniques in Da Vinci Resolve and its been hard to get the same level of smoothness I've seen other AMVs but maybe I just need to play around with it more.

I'm glad you enjoyed parts of it!

seasons
Org Profile

Post by seasons » Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:48 pm

You have a distinct style that I've really enjoyed going back to some of your earliest works. I think it works best with single-source AMVs like this as opposed to mixed-source AMVs like "Break the Silence (the fast-paced cutting back and forth between different scenes works better, feels more meaningful and less random, when it's a study of a single source rather than a grab bag of clips from multiple titles). But that's just my opinion and the next one you make might totally change my mind, anything could happen.

I thought that you really nailed the instrumental choruses of this song. Then again, I feel the same about your other Illenium AMVs and it makes me wonder if those moments are why you edit with their music as much as you do, because they're always really good!

There are various other moments where I'm not entirely sure if you're syncing to certain beats or sounds and missing by a couple of frames on purpose, or if this is a deliberate stylistic choice. Because in a weird way, these imperfect moments still work for me. From 0:30 to 0:40, for example, the big reverberating clap sound seems like it's got to be tied to the camera zoom and the glitch/blur effects, but it never quite syncs up. YouTube does take minor imperfections like this and amplifies them (in my experience), but I wouldn't say that it ruins that passage for me. It may, however alter some viewers' perceptions of what you're doing or how successful your external sync really is.

I thought this was a pretty good character-focused action video. Thanks for sharing your work!

Return to “AMV Announcements & Feedback”