Madoka Magica - Fast Lane

Feedback on cataloged Anime Music Videos

Moderators: Mol, seasons

Forum rules
Please observe the following unique rules for this forum:
  • Please limit your new threads (not replies) to one per week. If you have several new videos to announce, create one thread for all the videos. (Note: if you forget one you can edit your post!)
  • Offsite links are allowed, but you are required to have a catalog entry for that video as well. Threads announcing videos that do not contain a catalog entry will be moved to the Awaiting Catalog Entry sub-forum and will be deleted in 2 weeks if an entry is not created.
  • When posting announcements, it is recommended that you include links to the catalog entries (using the video ID) in your post.
  • Videos that do not contain anime are allowed to be announced in the Other Videos section and are not required to have catalog entries.
vkamv
Org Profile

Madoka Magica - Fast Lane

Post by vkamv » Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:29 pm

Please take 2 minutes to watch my happy/sad upbeat/downtempo silly/serious Madoka Magica AMV. I put a lot of hours into this and would appreciate any type of feedback.

Making of Image:
Spoiler :
Last edited by vkamv on Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

CrackTheSky
has trust issues
Org Profile

Re: Madoka Magica - Fast Lane

Post by CrackTheSky » Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:21 pm

I enjoyed it. I had a hard time deciphering what exactly I was supposed to feel while I was watching it, because it kind of ran the gamut of emotions. I'm not sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing, but it was certainly different from what I'm used to with Madoka videos, which typically choose a specific emotion and then zero in on it hard. It was very well-edited though and I think you succeeded in making something intriguing and worth rewatching, at the very least.

One thing I did notice -- and this is my own personal taste -- but you went pretty heavy on the blur transitions throughout and I think it would have been better if you had toned down both the intensity of and frequency with which you used that specific effect. I don't think the video needed the blurs at all, but that's just imo.

Otherwise, great work :up:

Kireblue
Forum Admin
Org Profile

Post by Kireblue » Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:48 am

The easiest way to impress me is to do something that I haven't seen done in a Madoka vid before :asd: . I really enjoyed this one and immediately added it to my archive. You did a great job on the pace of your vid, and I really liked a lot of the match cuts that you did. I also liked the really cool effect that you did with Charlotte at 0:50, and the dancing transition you did at 0:29. Nice Job :up:

Mol
Strawberry Pie
Org Profile

Post by Mol » Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:07 pm

Ey it's quite decent imo. Works quite well in this mixing of scenes which is kinda weird i guess , so good job :shrug:
Still better than that MMO.

vkamv
Org Profile

Post by vkamv » Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:12 am

CrackTheSky wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:21 pm
I enjoyed it. I had a hard time deciphering what exactly I was supposed to feel while I was watching it, because it kind of ran the gamut of emotions. I'm not sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing, but it was certainly different from what I'm used to with Madoka videos, which typically choose a specific emotion and then zero in on it hard. It was very well-edited though and I think you succeeded in making something intriguing and worth rewatching, at the very least.

One thing I did notice -- and this is my own personal taste -- but you went pretty heavy on the blur transitions throughout and I think it would have been better if you had toned down both the intensity of and frequency with which you used that specific effect. I don't think the video needed the blurs at all, but that's just imo.

Otherwise, great work :up:
Thanks for taking the time to view and for the thoughtful comment. Yes, the amount of varying emotions turned out pretty interesting here. A lot of it was influenced by the song, since it had slow then upbeat then slow pace and that kind of influenced the feel of the scenes. I also tried to capture the bi-polar nature of the show itself. With it's slice of life moments at the beginning of the series and it's serious tone towards the end.

Most of the blurs are there to make the transitions appear smoother, particularly cross fade transitions. I'll see if toning it down in my next AMV helps.

Kireblue wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:48 am
The easiest way to impress me is to do something that I haven't seen done in a Madoka vid before :asd: . I really enjoyed this one and immediately added it to my archive. You did a great job on the pace of your vid, and I really liked a lot of the match cuts that you did. I also liked the really cool effect that you did with Charlotte at 0:50, and the dancing transition you did at 0:29. Nice Job :up:
Thanks for taking the time to view and for the kind remarks. Starting this AMV I wanted to do something different; first, give it a somewhat fun and energetic feel as well as focus on the relationships between the characters, and perhaps, give it a bit of a more "mature" feel with the scene selection and transitions.

For effects my goal was to create custom scenes or add effects to scenes that could be perceived as being part of the original animation. Something that someone who hasn't seen the anime might not even recognize as effects I created.

I added a link to the Making Of image link in the top post if your interested to see the some of changes I made.

Mol wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:07 pm
Ey it's quite decent imo. Works quite well in this mixing of scenes which is kinda weird i guess , so good job :shrug:
Thanks for taking the time to view and comment. I'm happy you thought it mixed well enough and found it decent.

Return to “AMV Announcements & Feedback”