Dragon Ball AMVs ~ feedback?

Feedback on cataloged Anime Music Videos

Moderators: Mol, seasons

Forum rules
Please observe the following unique rules for this forum:
  • Please limit your new threads (not replies) to one per week. If you have several new videos to announce, create one thread for all the videos. (Note: if you forget one you can edit your post!)
  • Offsite links are allowed, but you are required to have a catalog entry for that video as well. Threads announcing videos that do not contain a catalog entry will be moved to the Awaiting Catalog Entry sub-forum and will be deleted in 2 weeks if an entry is not created.
  • When posting announcements, it is recommended that you include links to the catalog entries (using the video ID) in your post.
  • Videos that do not contain anime are allowed to be announced in the Other Videos section and are not required to have catalog entries.
EmceePinks
Org Profile

Dragon Ball AMVs ~ feedback?

Post by EmceePinks » Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:38 pm

I know the edits are real simple. I'm a beginner. But I had a lot of fun making them :)

vkamv
Org Profile

Re: Dragon Ball AMVs ~ feedback?

Post by vkamv » Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:55 pm

EmceePinks wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:38 pm
EmceePinks wrote: I know the edits are real simple. I'm a beginner. But I had a lot of fun making them :)
Audio/Visual: I found both the AMVs similar in style, so my comments will be regarding them both. The source material you used was high quality, clean and crisp. I didn’t see any extravagant or “in your face” effects, which I typically do in DBZ AMVs, so it was an interesting change. Also, I thought your song selection was unique and intriguing as well. Not what I was expecting.

Sync: As for the sync, I thought you did a very good job at the start of both of them using internal sync to match the various beats of the songs. I thought they were very creative well executed. I particularly liked the sync work you did in the first 20 seconds of the Vegeta AMV. However, for both AMVs, as the song went on I felt the overall sync did not stay consistent from start to finish. I also felt that you lingered too long on scenes and would have benefited by shortening them.

You also focus on single fights which causes them to be too linear and more boring, in my opinion, unless they are very well executed and synced to a song. It also constrains you creativity because your limited to that fight.

Overall, I found them to be interesting and entertaining. You definitely have an eye for scenes to use for internal sync and I hope you continue making and posting AMVs.

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Location: I wonder if you know how they live in Tokyo... DRIFT, DRIFT, DRIFT
Org Profile

Post by Kionon » Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:05 am

720p60fps Dragonball fight videos... Man, the more things change, the more things stay the same.

You start off with many advantages not to be found 20 years ago, specifically the high quality of your source material. I am no fan of this show, but I love how bright, crisp, clear and vibrant the video is. I'm assuming this is in the original source because it is 2018, but please tell if you did color correction on this.

Agreed with VK that this is pretty typical in the sense that long, single fights just aren't that entertaining. The first video became too repetitive for me to wish to finish. The second one had the added dimension of being absolutely hilarious. You weren't able to sustain it, but you could have. Stronger and more frequent cuts setting up the dichotomy between the OVER 9000 seriousness of the fight with the ridiculous nature of the music and you'd have had a decent comedy video.
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

seasons
Org Profile

Post by seasons » Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:52 am

I do NOT like single-fight AMVs. "Pulse Ecstasy" didn't do anything to change this and just kind of ticked all the boxes to remind me why I feel the way I do.

"Swing It" was just more fun, not really subverting the fight cliches or anything like that but just editing this kind of scene in an over-the-top kind of way that was really goofy and much more enjoyable than trying to approach this kind of thing completely seriously. I mean, I have no idea if you intended that or not or if you really tried to create these videos in a different way at all, but somehow "Swing It" was just more enjoyable. I'd be surprised if you didn't have more fun making this AMV than the other one.

EmceePinks
Org Profile

Post by EmceePinks » Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:33 pm

I appreciate the feedback so far :)

Mol
Strawberry Pie
Org Profile

Post by Mol » Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:18 pm

Mhm yeah i wouldnn't say sticking to single fights is good, but i guess one could blame slightly db super :P It has little to offer other than that D:. Anyway i also like swing it s more, tho you should try to get some better source for that one (queality didn't look too hot). I guess music makes it slightly stand out and kinda you fooling around which isn't bad ;)
Still better than that MMO.

EmceePinks
Org Profile

Post by EmceePinks » Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:52 am

Ah good to know. I'll try n spread out to multiple fight scenes next time

Return to “AMV Announcements & Feedback”