The Change In You - Hero Academia AMV -> feedback? :)

Feedback on cataloged Anime Music Videos

Moderators: Mol, seasons

Forum rules
Please observe the following unique rules for this forum:
  • Please limit your new threads (not replies) to one per week. If you have several new videos to announce, create one thread for all the videos. (Note: if you forget one you can edit your post!)
  • Offsite links are allowed, but you are required to have a catalog entry for that video as well. Threads announcing videos that do not contain a catalog entry will be moved to the Awaiting Catalog Entry sub-forum and will be deleted in 2 weeks if an entry is not created.
  • When posting announcements, it is recommended that you include links to the catalog entries (using the video ID) in your post.
  • Videos that do not contain anime are allowed to be announced in the Other Videos section and are not required to have catalog entries.
Lylaaz
Org Profile

The Change In You - Hero Academia AMV -> feedback? :)

Post by Lylaaz » Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:37 am

Hello!
This is the last AMV i will make in a while since my life is getting busier now. I learned from my last video to use less text but i still love to use lyrics so i only added them where I felt they fit + intro :D

My favourite part of the video is at 2:21- 2:48 that's where the song hit me.
As a manga reader I waited an entire season for that part to edit this!

Was it interesting to watch? :)
Any kinds of opinions are welcome!

catalogue entry

vkamv
Org Profile

Re: The Change In You - Hero Academia AMV -> feedback? :)

Post by vkamv » Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:54 am

Lylaaz wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:37 am
Lylaaz wrote:

Hello!
This is the last AMV i will make in a while since my life is getting busier now. I learned from my last video to use less text but i still love to use lyrics so i only added them where I felt they fit + intro :D

My favourite part of the video is at 2:21- 2:48 that's where the song hit me.
As a manga reader I waited an entire season for that part to edit this!

Was it interesting to watch? :)
Any kinds of opinions are welcome!

catalogue entry
Visual Lyrics: I liked your use of text better this time around. It wasn’t as distracting. I do, however, feel like the text font and style could have been more creative. A lot of it seamed very plain and boring and didn’t really incorporate itself into the animation. Particularly the font style at 0:41 seemed too plain.

Audio/Visual: Visually I thought it was great. Your source material was very clean and crisp, and I enjoyed your color grading and corrections. The overlays also didn’t distract me or cause the scenes to look cheap. I didn’t like the mask work at 2:09, however, mostly because the two scenes were different in visual quality. The background layer was crisp but the overlay layer, with young Bakugo, was blurry and a too bright. Didn’t really mesh well and felt out of place. The song was a good choice. Fit the theme and story of the two characters well.

Synchronization: I thought that the sync was great. You did an excellent job finding scenes to not only match the beat of the song, but also the lyrics. Good internal sync.

Story/Theme: Bakugo is actually my least favorite character in the show, but I did enjoy this video focused on his relationship with Deku. They definitely have an odd relationship and you did an excellent job conveying their history and conflicts here. Well done.

Lylaaz
Org Profile

Post by Lylaaz » Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:49 pm

Hi! Thanks for the feedback :)
vkamv wrote: Visual Lyrics: I liked your use of text better this time around. It wasn’t as distracting. I do, however, feel like the text font and style could have been more creative. A lot of it seamed very plain and boring and didn’t really incorporate itself into the animation. Particularly the font style at 0:41 seemed too plain.
There is this rule that the prettier/interesting font is, the harder it is to read. So being plain was kind of the point here. Though to be honest i really don't know what could "incorporate itself into the animation" :D
vkamv wrote: Audio/Visual: Visually I thought it was great. Your source material was very clean and crisp, and I enjoyed your color grading and corrections. The overlays also didn’t distract me or cause the scenes to look cheap. I didn’t like the mask work at 2:09, however, mostly because the two scenes were different in visual quality. The background layer was crisp but the overlay layer, with young Bakugo, was blurry and a too bright. Didn’t really mesh well and felt out of place. The song was a good choice. Fit the theme and story of the two characters well.
Happy you liked this part!
I had to do zoom in on the young Bakugo so you as a viewer could see the similarities in side ways profile. Zooming in sadly reduces the quality but at the end of the zoomout it should have been okay :) I chose brighter green because i used green color theme for Midoriya's memories like in 2:45.
vkamv wrote: Synchronization: I thought that the sync was great. You did an excellent job finding scenes to not only match the beat of the song, but also the lyrics. Good internal sync.
Happy to hear that! Glad that part worked out.

vkamv wrote: Story/Theme: Bakugo is actually my least favorite character in the show, but I did enjoy this video focused on his relationship with Deku. They definitely have an odd relationship and you did an excellent job conveying their history and conflicts here. Well done.
Sad to hear he is still your least favourite character. But i am happy you liked the video enough to continue :D

seasons
Org Profile

Post by seasons » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:27 am

It's crazy how much more I like this than the previous MHA video you made.

There are a couple of instances where I feel like the text could have been modified or used a little bit differently, just personal taste, but overall it's a huge improvement and doesn't feel like a distraction in this case. I don't really know if the video would have been better without it, which is usually the first conclusion I reach after watching these kind of AMVs. This was a really thoughtful character profile video, the lyric sync actually applied to the characters and the story in interesting ways. No idea if this is really a step above the million other shonen AMVs I've watched where the big theme is two characters who are rivals, but I loved that you were really interested in exploring their history and their relationship and that you seem to know these three seasons inside and out well enough to pick some really appropriate and clever scenes to illustrate the lyrics in the song.

The meta-AMV (?) moments you threw in (particularly the beginning and the shot at 1:25) were clever and fun but didn't undercut the big emotional core of the video. This was a "serious" AMV but you kept it from getting too grim or dull by tossing in lighthearted moments like this, maybe striking that balance is what made it work for me.

Yeah, I"m kind of into this. Looking forward to more from you, whenever that will be...

Are you "Lylaaz" or "TheiLame"? I never know what to call people when they use different names.

Lylaaz
Org Profile

Post by Lylaaz » Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:47 pm

seasons wrote:It's crazy how much more I like this than the previous MHA video you made.
There are a couple of instances where I feel like the text could have been modified or used a little bit differently, just personal taste, but overall it's a huge improvement and doesn't feel like a distraction in this case. I don't really know if the video would have been better without it, which is usually the first conclusion I reach after watching these kind of AMVs.
Sorry for replying so late! :)

I guess i need to look more into text editing, i guess simplistic style doesn't suit very much? Although the more complex font it is the harder it is to read/understand though. So I am trying to be a bit careful with it. I'm very visual dependent so i like to read lyrics myself so i am still trying to put some in and i don't want to remove them entirely.
seasons wrote: This was a really thoughtful character profile video, the lyric sync actually applied to the characters and the story in interesting ways. No idea if this is really a step above the million other shonen AMVs I've watched where the big theme is two characters who are rivals, but I loved that you were really interested in exploring their history and their relationship and that you seem to know these three seasons inside and out well enough to pick some really appropriate and clever scenes to illustrate the lyrics in the song.
I see. :) I am happy it got through! This is what happens when i rewatch series too many times :D A lot of scenes just appear in my head
seasons wrote: The meta-AMV (?) moments you threw in (particularly the beginning and the shot at 1:25) were clever and fun but didn't undercut the big emotional core of the video. This was a "serious" AMV but you kept it from getting too grim or dull by tossing in lighthearted moments like this, maybe striking that balance is what made it work for me.
Aww yes! It's like a serious AMV that is telling not to take it too seriously :D I wondered if that would work and i am happy it did. Meta-AMV is an interesting term.
seasons wrote: Yeah, I"m kind of into this. Looking forward to more from you, whenever that will be...
Are you "Lylaaz" or "TheiLame"? I never know what to call people when they use different names.
It will be a while i think. I'm actually planning on making AMV of The Promised Neverland, i got one great idea but guess what? The anime hasn't even aired yet. ;) I just hope the scenes play out well in anime. And i hope the song in mind isn't very outdated by then.

I'm Lylaaz. To the anime community and this community at least :)
Thanks once more for watching and commenting. I will try to fix my older video a bit too.

seasons
Org Profile

Post by seasons » Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:03 pm

Lylaaz wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:47 pm
I guess i need to look more into text editing, i guess simplistic style doesn't suit very much? Although the more complex font it is the harder it is to read/understand though. So I am trying to be a bit careful with it. I'm very visual dependent so i like to read lyrics myself so i am still trying to put some in and i don't want to remove them entirely.
I'm the last person to ask about how to use text, what appeals to me is probably the opposite of what most other viewers out there will expect or enjoy.

That said, I actually did like the simple font here, for the most part. I've seen a few other AMVs where editors have used simple font and it looked...terrible. But for me it's less about the font and more about placement, kerning/spacing, text transitions and how it may transition in and out of the shot you're using it in. I think you have a good grasp about how to handle text, even if it's not as comparatively flashy or eye-catching as it might be in many other lyric videos.

This isn't me saying I definitely want more or I definitely don't, I was just pleasantly surprised by how much I actually did like it in this instance.

Lylaaz
Org Profile

Post by Lylaaz » Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:23 am

seasons wrote: I'm the last person to ask about how to use text, what appeals to me is probably the opposite of what most other viewers out there will expect or enjoy.
Haha :D Although i think i know what you mean, my internal side is telling me things as well so i know i have to look more into it, perhaps view more "better" lyric videos for example and learn from them .. or etc. I'll see. Perhaps i'll change my style and not add them at all if i don't figure it out well enough.
seasons wrote: That said, I actually did like the simple font here, for the most part. I've seen a few other AMVs where editors have used simple font and it looked...terrible. But for me it's less about the font and more about placement, kerning/spacing, text transitions and how it may transition in and out of the shot you're using it in. I think you have a good grasp about how to handle text, even if it's not as comparatively flashy or eye-catching as it might be in many other lyric videos.
This isn't me saying I definitely want more or I definitely don't, I was just pleasantly surprised by how much I actually did like it in this instance.
I guess it worked out better because i didn't force it everywhere. This time i tried to put it where it did seem to fit. If you have any more heads up i'll gladly listen.
Actually my ideal version would be to add lyrics but add it in the background/in the environment. So it's kind of like not forcing to people to read, but if they find it, they can read it.. I experimented it on 0:52 "in you" so i masked Midoriya's hand over there so text was in the background a bit.. or at 1:07 blurred the "don't like" and hit it under Bakugo's accessory (it's super short though!).. Not even sure if it works :D Maybe human brains don't work this way.. I don't know

Return to “AMV Announcements & Feedback”