My Hero Academia AMV - "Power" -> feedback? :)

Feedback on cataloged Anime Music Videos

Moderators: Mol, seasons

Forum rules
Please observe the following unique rules for this forum:
  • Please limit your new threads (not replies) to one per week. If you have several new videos to announce, create one thread for all the videos. (Note: if you forget one you can edit your post!)
  • Offsite links are allowed, but you are required to have a catalog entry for that video as well. Threads announcing videos that do not contain a catalog entry will be moved to the Awaiting Catalog Entry sub-forum and will be deleted in 2 weeks if an entry is not created.
  • When posting announcements, it is recommended that you include links to the catalog entries (using the video ID) in your post.
  • Videos that do not contain anime are allowed to be announced in the Other Videos section and are not required to have catalog entries.
Lylaaz
Org Profile

My Hero Academia AMV - "Power" -> feedback? :)

Post by Lylaaz » Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:33 pm

Hello everyone!
This is my first Hero Academia AMV and 3rd (4th?) dedicated AMV i have ever made.

I worked around 8 weeks on it, mostly fitting the scenes as much as possible, timing and adding lyrics.
After uploading it to youtube around 2 months ago I have still not gotten any decent feedback of it. Which has made me sad. Some people have written they like it, but that's about it.. What i wonder is for example, if writing lyrics out is waste of time or not? I personally like when there are lyrics to read, and i think it raises awareness of the viewer. Yet what if maybe it actually puts them off? Too much of a chore? I have concluded so far for me It took a lot of time to put the lyrics down (except the word "power"), so editing wise i would rather not do it anymore, since no one i think cares anyway. Maybe people can just hear and understand..? Depends on the song perhaps?

Also, lyrics is not the only thing i am interested in, if there's anything else please let me know! I would love to read your opinion!

I am making 1 more similar video, and thinking about having "sometimes" lyrics written out.. not all the time.. how good idea would that be? :D

PS. In the end it's so much more fun making AMV than going around asking people for feedback. I hope i wasn't rude asking :oops: ^_^
catalogue entry

Edit: Here is the no text version:
Last edited by Lylaaz on Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

vkamv
Org Profile

Re: My Hero Academia AMV - "Power" -> feedback? :)

Post by vkamv » Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:24 pm

Lylaaz wrote:Hello everyone!
This is my first Hero Academia AMV and 3rd (4th?) dedicated AMV i have ever made.

Visual Lyrics: Since you asked people to comment about this specifically I decided to make it separate here. I found the text to be distracting; primarily the text when it appeared at the bottom. With big letters appearing on screen it seamed to work, but when small text appeared at the bottom it distracted me from the actual content. If you look at other AMVs with lyrics a lot don’t provide every word but just random parts of the song at various times throughout the video. I think that works best for this type. This type of mix of larger and small text I found really distracting because big text appeared over the action and then small text appeared at the bottom, which caused my eyes to shift down to read the small text, almost reflexively, and away from the content.

Audio/Visual: Visually I thought the AMV was great for the majority of it. Very clean source material and I enjoyed your use of color correction and grading. I did find a few parts too dark though, like at 0:49. Perhaps reduce the contract or increase exposure slightly. Your choice of effects was interesting and fitting. It gave the work a manga/comic book feel to it which I believe you were going for.

The song worked for the most part. I did feel it was a bit too chill for the amount of action scenes you had and didn’t quite always match the intensity being shown.

Synchronization: The sync was good. You had a good mixture of external and internal sync. Your primary method seamed to be internal and finding the right scene to match the song, which I believe worked for the most part. But like I said previously, sometimes the action was stronger than the beat of the song. I liked how you matched visual cues with different lyrics throughout the song (ie at 1:40 – 1:42).

Story/Theme: This AMV was very action heavy, focusing mainly on fights. The song seamed more diverse and you could have focused on more than just fighting. It didn’t really leave an emotion impact on me. Not sure if you wanted it to.

A nice AMV and pleasing to watch. I can tell you worked hard on it.

Lylaaz
Org Profile

Post by Lylaaz » Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:23 pm

vkamv wrote: I found the text to be distracting; primarily the text when it appeared at the bottom. With big letters appearing on screen it seamed to work, but when small text appeared at the bottom it distracted me from the actual content.
Thank you for the feedback. I see. I'm personally very visually dependent person. I watched anime subtitled and I even watch movies with subtitles :D So i am kind of used to reading everything. Also i love to watch lyric videos as i heard the words so i thought i could perhaps do something similar here, but i guess for a person watching the video first time it can be overwhelming since they have to keep track of multiple things. There are some AMV out there that have all lyrics written out (example) but there are those moments when the text on top of some scene is visually unpleasant, so i thought moving the text down so it wouldn't ruin the scene, yet indeed, as you said, the eye movement is too great and distracts the whole action instead. So perhaps occasional lyrics is indeed the best solution.
vkamv wrote:If you look at other AMVs with lyrics a lot don’t provide every word but just random parts of the song at various times throughout the video. I think that works best for this type.
Yet if only occasional parts are shown with lyrics.. what about inconsistency? Isn't it weird to at some parts "hear" and at some parts listen + hear? Or that's totally fine as a viewer? :) I don't actually know many AMV that do that, haven't perhaps watched recently..
vkamv wrote: Audio/Visual: Visually I thought the AMV was great for the majority of it. Very clean source material and I enjoyed your use of color correction and grading. I did find a few parts too dark though, like at 0:49. Perhaps reduce the contract or increase exposure slightly. Your choice of effects was interesting and fitting. It gave the work a manga/comic book feel to it which I believe you were going for.
The song worked for the most part. I did feel it was a bit too chill for the amount of action scenes you had and didn’t quite always match the intensity being shown.
I'm happy the comic feel worked! And indeed, you are right about the contrast. I don't know what happened there, i guess i tried to apply same settings to multiple scenes and didn't double check it. I'm sad for the intensity part, something i should consider for the future videos if i make any :)
vkamv wrote: Synchronization: The sync was good. You had a good mixture of external and internal sync. Your primary method seamed to be internal and finding the right scene to match the song, which I believe worked for the most part. But like I said previously, sometimes the action was stronger than the beat of the song. I liked how you matched visual cues with different lyrics throughout the song (ie at 1:40 – 1:42).
Interesting feedback on that part. I actually don't know much about "external" and "internal" sync. I can guess the internal is the meaning part and external is the beat of the song? Although you are right about it, i found a song that matched the story of the anime, yet it was not "intense" enough. I tried to "pump it up" but i guess it could have been different. It's so hard to find a good song that hasn't been too overused. I kind of have this moto to use songs and anime combinations that haven't been done (or be the first one to do it). It can sometimes backfire though. :P
vkamv wrote: Story/Theme: This AMV was very action heavy, focusing mainly on fights. The song seamed more diverse and you could have focused on more than just fighting. It didn’t really leave an emotion impact on me. Not sure if you wanted it to.
A nice AMV and pleasing to watch. I can tell you worked hard on it.
Ah true, yet i found those action moments matching the lyrics. However i tried to use the word "power" in different ways, not just action. But no worries, i'm currently making one more video that also focuses more on the relationships as well.

Thank you once again! I feel like testing these suggestions (at least the contrast and text) out and perhaps uploading another version for comparison :)

//haha i tryharded too much with these quote tags

Kireblue
Forum Admin
Org Profile

Post by Kireblue » Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:44 am

I think that your scene selection was really good in this :up: . I'd recommend against adding the text effects to your video though. They were mostly just a distraction IMO. Also, I think that the video would have benefited a lot from a bit more internal sync. If you don't know what that is, here's a really good guide on the different types of sync :D viewtopic.php?f=2&t=92942

Lylaaz
Org Profile

Post by Lylaaz » Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:30 am

Kireblue wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:44 am
Kireblue wrote:I think that your scene selection was really good in this :up: . I'd recommend against adding the text effects to your video though. They were mostly just a distraction IMO. Also, I think that the video would have benefited a lot from a bit more internal sync. If you don't know what that is, here's a really good guide on the different types of sync :D viewtopic.php?f=2&t=92942
I see.. Thank you! I'll try to use less text in future. Or at least i'm not adding it below anymore, hehe :D
I think i did quite a lot of internal sync though :)

seasons
Org Profile

Post by seasons » Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:46 am

I would love to see a version of this without any lyrics on the screen. I just found them to be a big distraction to what seemed like an otherwise very thoughtful and competently-edited video.

Lylaaz
Org Profile

Post by Lylaaz » Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:01 am

seasons wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:46 am
seasons wrote:I would love to see a version of this without any lyrics on the screen. I just found them to be a big distraction to what seemed like an otherwise very thoughtful and competently-edited video.
I took up your request! I made a non lyric version now.. they are only in very few places now.

Return to “AMV Announcements & Feedback”