[Multiple Anime AMV] - "That Day"

Feedback on cataloged Anime Music Videos

Moderators: Mol, seasons

Forum rules
Please observe the following unique rules for this forum:
  • Please limit your new threads (not replies) to one per week. If you have several new videos to announce, create one thread for all the videos. (Note: if you forget one you can edit your post!)
  • Offsite links are allowed, but you are required to have a catalog entry for that video as well. Threads announcing videos that do not contain a catalog entry will be moved to the Awaiting Catalog Entry sub-forum and will be deleted in 2 weeks if an entry is not created.
  • When posting announcements, it is recommended that you include links to the catalog entries (using the video ID) in your post.
  • Videos that do not contain anime are allowed to be announced in the Other Videos section and are not required to have catalog entries.
AtlasZeke
Org Profile

[Multiple Anime AMV] - "That Day"

Post by AtlasZeke » Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:24 pm

Hi, it's been a while since i made my last AMV video, so i tried to challenge myself using four anime, this is the result, i hope you like it :3

vkamv
Org Profile

Re: [Multiple Anime AMV] - "That Day"

Post by vkamv » Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:00 pm

AtlasZeke wrote:Hi, it's been a while since i made my last AMV video, so i tried to challenge myself using four anime, this is the result, i hope you like it :3

Audio/Visual: You did a great job united the scenes with the music. I’ve never heard this rendition of the song and found it an enjoyable change. The first half had a haunting mood to it and I believe you picked very fitting scenes to match it. I also liked your choice of black and white to color grading. The effects were simple but effective for the first half, and fitting and exciting for the second more upbeat tempo of the second half.

Synchronization: I thought the syncing was pretty solid throughout. Good during the slow tempo and also good when the song increases intensity. I wasn’t expecting the sudden change in tempo and really enjoyed how you conducted the transition by switching to anime audio and then back to the song. It was a nice touch. Excellent buildup and rewarding payoff at the end.

The syncing for second half felt perfect for me but the first half I felt a few scenes were either static or too quick. For example, at 1:10 – 1:11 felt like it lingered to long on a still shot. I think if you added a very slow zoom in or out it would enhance and make it more alive. Not a big zoom, like 1-3 percent range. At 1:28 to 1:31 I felt the opposite. The shifts between scenes felt too quick and I felt they should have been slowed down tiny bit and each scene a little bit longer. Those our just a little nitpicks I had. It’s fairly subjective to me, and others might experience it differently. Overall great use of internal sync external effect application to emphasize the beat and sync.

Story/Theme: The overall feel reminded of the AMV Combat Harness by EnQuatre. Slow start and very surprising, intense end. It might have a different effect for someone who had already heard the song, and not having heard it, I really liked the impact. You did a great job building up the scenes from each anime and then providing the climax for each individual anime as well. I really felt like all the sources were treated equally. Nice work.

One of the best AMVs I've seen this month.

AtlasZeke
Org Profile

Post by AtlasZeke » Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:41 pm

vkamv wrote:
AtlasZeke wrote:Hi, it's been a while since i made my last AMV video, so i tried to challenge myself using four anime, this is the result, i hope you like it :3

Audio/Visual: You did a great job united the scenes with the music. I’ve never heard this rendition of the song and found it an enjoyable change. The first half had a haunting mood to it and I believe you picked very fitting scenes to match it. I also liked your choice of black and white to color grading. The effects were simple but effective for the first half, and fitting and exciting for the second more upbeat tempo of the second half.

Synchronization: I thought the syncing was pretty solid throughout. Good during the slow tempo and also good when the song increases intensity. I wasn’t expecting the sudden change in tempo and really enjoyed how you conducted the transition by switching to anime audio and then back to the song. It was a nice touch. Excellent buildup and rewarding payoff at the end.

The syncing for second half felt perfect for me but the first half I felt a few scenes were either static or too quick. For example, at 1:10 – 1:11 felt like it lingered to long on a still shot. I think if you added a very slow zoom in or out it would enhance and make it more alive. Not a big zoom, like 1-3 percent range. At 1:28 to 1:31 I felt the opposite. The shifts between scenes felt too quick and I felt they should have been slowed down tiny bit and each scene a little bit longer. Those our just a little nitpicks I had. It’s fairly subjective to me, and others might experience it differently. Overall great use of internal sync external effect application to emphasize the beat and sync.

Story/Theme: The overall feel reminded of the AMV Combat Harness by EnQuatre. Slow start and very surprising, intense end. It might have a different effect for someone who had already heard the song, and not having heard it, I really liked the impact. You did a great job building up the scenes from each anime and then providing the climax for each individual anime as well. I really felt like all the sources were treated equally. Nice work.

Thank you very much, actually i think you are right on the timing at 1:10, probably that moment is the weakest and is too slow compared to the rest, for the Death Note part at 1:28 i think you're right, probably the change in timing is too quick and doesn't fit so well with the rest. I will use these advices to build the next AMV better :') thank you, and i'm glad that you enjoyed it, i don't know many particular video effects right now (i will learn :3) so i tried my best with simple things! (I will check it up the AMV you mentioned, i'm curious)

vkamv
Org Profile

Post by vkamv » Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:46 am

AtlasZeke wrote: Thank you very much, actually i think you are right on the timing at 1:10, probably that moment is the weakest and is too slow compared to the rest, for the Death Note part at 1:28 i think you're right, probably the change in timing is too quick and doesn't fit so well with the rest. I will use these advices to build the next AMV better :') thank you, and i'm glad that you enjoyed it, i don't know many particular video effects right now (i will learn :3) so i tried my best with simple things! (I will check it up the AMV you mentioned, i'm curious)
You should definitely check out Combat Harness. It's a very good AMV. It also uses a song with a mixture of singing and rap.

seasons
Org Profile

Post by seasons » Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:53 pm

This was edited pretty well, the visuals and the transitions played off the music very naturally. Even the original anime audio felt unexpectedly poignant. I enjoyed the slow and gentle opening passage...and I actually thought that was all there was going to be to this, which I would have been happy with. To my surprise, the second half worked just as well as the first. I have no complaints about the editing itself (save for watermarked footage). This worked pretty well as a trailer-montage style video.

I was never sold on exactly what all these sources had in common or why they were together in this video. They were pretty and nothing in them felt offensively out of place...I don't know, this song has a lot of baggage and meaning to it that really hard to brush off as a viewer/AMV fan/person who's absorbed a shit-ton of Linkin Park in the 21st century, and while the meaning in this song was specifically reflected in the scenes from Gurren Lagann, I have no idea what any of the other anime present in this AMV was meant to signify without taking away from the poignancy of GL and how it's framed from the very beginning of this AMV to be the central subject here.

This was good in so many ways but the more that was packed into it, the less emotionally fulfilling it felt for me.

AtlasZeke
Org Profile

Post by AtlasZeke » Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:49 am

seasons wrote:This was edited pretty well, the visuals and the transitions played off the music very naturally. Even the original anime audio felt unexpectedly poignant. I enjoyed the slow and gentle opening passage...and I actually thought that was all there was going to be to this, which I would have been happy with. To my surprise, the second half worked just as well as the first. I have no complaints about the editing itself (save for watermarked footage). This worked pretty well as a trailer-montage style video.

I was never sold on exactly what all these sources had in common or why they were together in this video. They were pretty and nothing in them felt offensively out of place...I don't know, this song has a lot of baggage and meaning to it that really hard to brush off as a viewer/AMV fan/person who's absorbed a shit-ton of Linkin Park in the 21st century, and while the meaning in this song was specifically reflected in the scenes from Gurren Lagann, I have no idea what any of the other anime present in this AMV was meant to signify without taking away from the poignancy of GL and how it's framed from the very beginning of this AMV to be the central subject here.

This was good in so many ways but the more that was packed into it, the less emotionally fulfilling it felt for me.
Thank you for watching my AMV and for reviewing it! I am glad that you liked.
Anyway, i got your point and i think you are right, all the Anime have no real connection between them exept for the fact that these are all anime i love, in many different ways. I did some amvs before, pretty shitty most of them, i just have two of them on my Yt channel and i'm not really happy of them AHAHAH, and it's a long time since i do a AMV, so i started out from the beginning with the idea to make a Multiple Anime AMV with some of anime that i really like and during the process i wanted to make Gurren Lagann a little more predominant, 'cause i think it was better expecially for the emotionally fulfilling that you pointed out but yes, i think that's right, probably too many packed in could led to less less "Pathos" buildup.

I have a question, do you think it's just a matter of sources, too many and too different or i could do something about it with some other editing ideas?

seasons
Org Profile

Post by seasons » Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:10 pm

AtlasZeke wrote:I have a question, do you think it's just a matter of sources, too many and too different or i could do something about it with some other editing ideas?
I don't have any specific suggestions for how I think you could have taken these sources and this song and edited them together in a way that would have felt more...I don't know, cohesive or something. Other viewers may watch this video and have a very different reaction, this is just my personal response.

Like I said (or was trying to say), from the beginning it's framed very specifically to be a Gurren Lagann video, it's taking a very dramatic moment from the story and making us revisit that and maybe even daring us to re-experience whatever emotions we had during that scene. And I just found that to be a very odd jumping off point to including scenes of Light/Kira killing people with the death note, to say nothing of the Your Name/Fullmetal Alchemist stuff, which doesn't really exist in the same universe...and that's fine but I mean like three minutes into this I no longer really know what I'm watching or what I'm supposed to feel.

This isn't a problem unique to this AMV, I'm hoping someone else will articulate my feelings here better than I can. It's definitely possible that my demands here are unrealistic and overly critical.

lloyd9988
Org Profile

Post by lloyd9988 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:41 am

This video were featured in the September 2018 Edition for Monthly AMVs as Watch These Next

AtlasZeke
Org Profile

Post by AtlasZeke » Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:46 pm

seasons wrote:
AtlasZeke wrote:I have a question, do you think it's just a matter of sources, too many and too different or i could do something about it with some other editing ideas?
I don't have any specific suggestions for how I think you could have taken these sources and this song and edited them together in a way that would have felt more...I don't know, cohesive or something. Other viewers may watch this video and have a very different reaction, this is just my personal response.

Like I said (or was trying to say), from the beginning it's framed very specifically to be a Gurren Lagann video, it's taking a very dramatic moment from the story and making us revisit that and maybe even daring us to re-experience whatever emotions we had during that scene. And I just found that to be a very odd jumping off point to including scenes of Light/Kira killing people with the death note, to say nothing of the Your Name/Fullmetal Alchemist stuff, which doesn't really exist in the same universe...and that's fine but I mean like three minutes into this I no longer really know what I'm watching or what I'm supposed to feel.

This isn't a problem unique to this AMV, I'm hoping someone else will articulate my feelings here better than I can. It's definitely possible that my demands here are unrealistic and overly critical.
Uhm, okay okay understood, thank you for giving ur point of view :') I look forward to your opinion on the next one
lloyd9988 wrote:This video were featured in the September 2018 Edition for Monthly AMVs as Watch These Next
Thanks Man! :D
vkamv wrote:

I Finally checked out Combat Harness, i've never been a Gundam fan but that's absolutely amazing!

CrackTheSky
has trust issues
Org Profile

Post by CrackTheSky » Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:16 pm

My feelings on this are pretty much exactly the same as seasons'. The editing in this was incredibly solid, and I didn't even mind the voiceovers (which I normally detest), but there were some pretty serious issues I had with it too. The quality, for one, was very poor, and the watermarked footage was frustrating to see. My bigger problem though is the lack of cohesion between the sources -- it seemed like you just took a few different anime that all had relatively heavy scenes to choose from and blended them altogether without considering that they have nothing in common, visually or conceptually. It felt very ad hoc and robbed the video of a lot of its emotional impact.

I do want to emphasize though -- this video had great editing. I think the comparison to Combat Harness is apt -- the way this exploded in the second half, and the fact that you were able to keep up with the music was very reminiscent of that video. It flowed so well. I think if you rein in your sources next time and focus on telling a story, or following some sort of concept, you'll be golden.

Return to “AMV Announcements & Feedback”