Horses, Hedgeogs and Heroes (Run Around)

Feedback on cataloged Anime Music Videos

Moderators: Mol, seasons

Forum rules
Please observe the following unique rules for this forum:
  • Please limit your new threads (not replies) to one per week. If you have several new videos to announce, create one thread for all the videos. (Note: if you forget one you can edit your post!)
  • Offsite links are allowed, but you are required to have a catalog entry for that video as well. Threads announcing videos that do not contain a catalog entry will be moved to the Awaiting Catalog Entry sub-forum and will be deleted in 2 weeks if an entry is not created.
  • When posting announcements, it is recommended that you include links to the catalog entries (using the video ID) in your post.
  • Videos that do not contain anime are allowed to be announced in the Other Videos section and are not required to have catalog entries.
mattwo
Org Profile

Horses, Hedgeogs and Heroes (Run Around)

Post by mattwo » Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:07 am

This may as well be a transitional video as while I might make more opening sequences in the future, I want to try to focus on using actual footage from the relevant shows, not just because it's less lazy but with subbed/raw(Japanese dub) anime and toku, it's hard to find HD clean opening sequences, especially for older stuff.

vkamv
Org Profile

Re: Horses, Hedgeogs and Heroes (Run Around)

Post by vkamv » Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:54 pm

mattwo wrote:

This may as well be a transitional video as while I might make more opening sequences in the future, I want to try to focus on using actual footage from the relevant shows, not just because it's less lazy but with subbed/raw(Japanese dub) anime and toku, it's hard to find HD clean opening sequences, especially for older stuff.
Audio/Visual: The visuals and audio were interesting and mixed together well. I reminded me of an intro to a TV show I would see in the late 90s or early 2000s. Some of the quality was random due to the different sources of material, but it wasn’t too distracting.
I would suggest that you spend sometime maybe working on transitions by altering the colors of a scene at the end, so that it blends with the next scene. Some of the transitions were jarring, like at 1:08 – 1:09. You went from a really dark scene to a really bright and colorful scene. It felt like a switch between two different AMVs and not a transition within one. Perhaps adding even something as simple as a crossfade or fade to black could have worked here to make the transition more seamless.

Synchronization: You had a good use of internal sync mostly throughout the whole video, However, at 1:04 – 1:06 I felt you could have made this sequence more impactful with effects to emphasize the beat and the “whoas”. It felt a bit static. Could use effects or perhaps a less static scene. Other than that little bit, I thought the sync was great.

Story/Theme: I didn’t see a story and I believe the theme was the song itself, and I believe you did a great job choosing scenes to match the pace and lyrics of the song.

Nice work. I think you definitely accomplished what you set out to do here.

seasons
Org Profile

Re: Horses, Hedgeogs and Heroes (Run Around)

Post by seasons » Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:13 pm

You put some effort into this and you had an actual concept in mind and it's something I've never seen before so I won't shortchange you with a half-assed response to this. I hope this doesn't come across as too nitpicky. I support what you're doing and if you want to make yet another "Run Around" AMV eight years from now, I'll definitely watch it.

I'm down with using the title cards at the beginning of the video, but I think it would have been awesome to have them all in a row in rapid succession (exactly like the first two are) than staggered apart like the way that they are. You used four animated sources (not including the Sonic video game, which I'm not counting here...I'll be getting back to that in a minute here) so you could have laid them out in the first four bars of the song, boom-boom-boom-boom. Just an idea! Isn't it annoying when people do the armchair editor thing I'm doing now? Well, I hope not. Anyway...

The horse girl anime looks clean and pretty and the internal sync in the first shots it appears in (0:18-0:35) is really good. Some of these clips go on for a while, which is just my opinion, but contrast this segment with how you edited the Sonic X footage from 0:35-0:46. This part is...really cool, good motion in the scenes, but also fast-paced editing that fits both the scenes and the song extremely well. This is the oldest of the sources that you're using but both the content of these clips and the way you edit them make them feel like the most natural fit for the video that it looks like you're trying to make.

The My Hero Academia segment from 0:47 to 1:08 feels really weak by comparison to what came before it. My Hero Academia is often a bright, colorful, fun show, and a scene that would have reflected these qualities would have fit really well with this sugary, upbeat pop punk tune. The dark, gritty, grim, totally morbid content of this scene feels out of place, but on top of that, these shots just go on for a long time. They don't pick up the baton from the fast-paced editing of the segment that preceded it. Some of these shots just linger for a long time with very little motion and they just kill the momentum that you're trying to maintain. I get that you wanted to use scenes with Tenya/Ingenium, but there's a ton of more fitting clips that could have fit this part and they could have been edited in a fun and fast-paced way that would have fit better. IMHO!

The MLP:FiM scenes (1:08-1:42) fit really well here, and even though some of the clips go on for a while, there's so much happening in them that they match the energy of the song without having to do very much editing, and there's some genuinely great internal sync in these sequences (like, I don't even really want a My Little Pony video but I get the feeling you could have actually made a really good one to this song). Unfortunately, this part is violently interrupted by clips of a video game at 1:26, which would still be one of the most awkward transitions I've ever seen in an AMV even if there weren't startlingly loud audio clips accompanying them. This part almost feels like a mistake, something left in that was supposed to be deleted off the timeline before exporting. I get why you included it, in the context of the lyrics it makes sense, but it hits like a jump scare and that's...not good. It really sabotages all your efforts!

I like how you concluded the video, I'm always a fan of wrapping up multi-source AMVs like this.

I'm writing this off the cuff and not reading vkamv's comments, but I have a feeling that he/she probably said something about the video quality. I really don't want to focus in on this too much, but I just found it odd how My Hero Academia somehow came out of this looking so low quality, even by comparison to Sonic X (now 15 years old, apparently). All the other sources looked great. I don't know what you could have done to remedy this, I guess I'm just pointing out the obvious, and in doing so just emphasizing how most viewers will inevitably notice this stuff, stuff I've inadvertently done before and will probably do again by accident, but which I try to run through as much quality control beforehand as possible to avoid before releasing the finished product.

I love the concept of this, I love the structure, I think the editing could have been tightened up a bit. I spent a lot of this post picking on things that I thought could have been improved, but overall I genuinely liked this and am adding it to my collection.

I was originally going to reply to this with nothing more than "RIP JASAN RADFORD" but no...he's actually alive! It was this guy who died. This song has been shrouded in death for me for the last two years for no reason at all, so thank you for giving me a reason to look again and see the light.

Return to “AMV Announcements & Feedback”