Yu Yu Hakusho AMV - TOKIMONSTA

Feedback on cataloged Anime Music Videos

Moderators: Mol, seasons

Forum rules
Please observe the following unique rules for this forum:
  • Please limit your new threads (not replies) to one per week. If you have several new videos to announce, create one thread for all the videos. (Note: if you forget one you can edit your post!)
  • Offsite links are allowed, but you are required to have a catalog entry for that video as well. Threads announcing videos that do not contain a catalog entry will be moved to the Awaiting Catalog Entry sub-forum and will be deleted in 2 weeks if an entry is not created.
  • When posting announcements, it is recommended that you include links to the catalog entries (using the video ID) in your post.
  • Videos that do not contain anime are allowed to be announced in the Other Videos section and are not required to have catalog entries.
Halkio
Org Profile

Yu Yu Hakusho AMV - TOKIMONSTA

Post by Halkio » Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:04 pm

https://www.animemusicvideos.org/member ... p?v=204106

This is my third AMV. My first time practicing with transitions and masking.

Spoilers: Minor

Video: Yu Yu Hakusho

Audio:Gamble - TOKIMONSTA

seasons
Org Profile

Re: Yu Yu Hakusho AMV - TOKIMONSTA

Post by seasons » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:36 pm

I kind of like this. There's some really cool scenes in here and they do kinda fit the vibe that you're trying to create. I like the masking in the opening shot, I LOVE the shot that follows that, even the fighting scene that immediately follows the staircase shot has some cool internal sync in it. I'm always kind of at a loss for how violent fighting scenes are suitable for really chilled-out music like this, but I guess I've grown used to it by now and I just try to appreciate when the editor is able to find any cohesion at all in these kind of moments.

I'm really on board with everything you're doing until the scene where the girl is thrown into the camera and her mouth is masked out like that to reveal the next scene. I get why you'd try it, everyone and their mom is doing this kind of thing with eyes so why not? Eh, I don't know. The fighting scene at 0:55 is really cool. Maybe I'd be sick of it if this was an overly-exploited source, but that it ain't. Yeah, it helps that I'm pretty unfamiliar with this series. It also helps that it looks as old as it does but is still beautifully animated, probably making it the perfect kind of source for a lo-fi hip-hop AMV like this. And yeah, I see the parallels between this AMV and countless others that have been made with this kind of music, but I appreciate that a little more effort was put into this one than what I'm used to (same goes for the music itself, which is unpredictable and complex and never boring and monotonous like a lot of this stuff can often get, and yeah, I know that it's supposed to be repetitive and mellow...I could probably go on and on here but I won't).

The clips between 1:03 and 1:35 feel like they're in here just to showcase some vintage animation that looks really cool and has a certain vibe to it. And I'm okay with that.

Very pleasant internal sync in the scenes from 1:36 to 1:45. The masking where he flies in from the left side of the screen...kind of clashes with how well those clips are working on an organic level. Then there's some more stuff and then the final two shots, which I thought made for a very fitting ending.

This is a step above the typical video in this genre, I guess it kind of felt a little random at times but I didn't feel like it was supposed to fit into any conventional structure. I've watched it a couple of times and I was satisfied to just mellow out and enjoy it.

Return to “AMV Announcements & Feedback”