Otakon'18 Romance Winner + 3 More! (MHA, FMA, Digi)

Feedback on cataloged Anime Music Videos

Moderators: Mol, seasons

Forum rules
Please observe the following unique rules for this forum:
  • Please limit your new threads (not replies) to one per week. If you have several new videos to announce, create one thread for all the videos. (Note: if you forget one you can edit your post!)
  • Offsite links are allowed, but you are required to have a catalog entry for that video as well. Threads announcing videos that do not contain a catalog entry will be moved to the Awaiting Catalog Entry sub-forum and will be deleted in 2 weeks if an entry is not created.
  • When posting announcements, it is recommended that you include links to the catalog entries (using the video ID) in your post.
  • Videos that do not contain anime are allowed to be announced in the Other Videos section and are not required to have catalog entries.
Kazemon15
Org Profile

Otakon'18 Romance Winner + 3 More! (MHA, FMA, Digi)

Post by Kazemon15 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:27 am

After a very long hiatus, I caught the editing bug again. Here are a few vids I did these past few months, I hope you all enjoy!

I been sitting on this one since Feb. It was a finalist in AnimeNext 2018, Anime Expo 2018 and Winner of Otakon 2018's romance category.

My first My Hero Academia video with my favorite character, Shoto Todoroki. This was fun to make.

My first finished Fullmetal Alchemist video using my favorite couple, Roy and Riza and a song I been wanting to edit in forever.

A Digimon Adventure Tri AMV featuring two characters who I thought deserved so much better in the series.

vkamv
Org Profile

Re: Otakon'18 Romance Winner + 3 More! (MHA, FMA, Digi)

Post by vkamv » Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:05 pm

Kazemon15 wrote:After a very long hiatus, I caught the editing bug again. Here are a few vids I did these past few months, I hope you all enjoy!

I been sitting on this one since Feb. It was a finalist in AnimeNext 2018, Anime Expo 2018 and Winner of Otakon 2018's romance category.
Audio/Visual: I thought you did a great job of integrating the song with the scenes. Neither the song nor the visuals felt out of place at any moment in the video. I also enjoyed how you started the AMV with dialogue. I felt it added a unique touch to it and made it all the more engaging.

Synchronization: The syncing was great. At first you used very simple crossfades and I thought that it would be the same throughout, but after about a minute as the intensity of the song increased so did your usage of effects. I liked your usages of zooms and exposure blurs. They didn’t feel overboard and emphasized the beat of the song nicely. The only effects that I found distracting were a few of the blur stutters, like at 1:46. I felt the blur was a bit too strong. Other than that little tidbit, I thought the sync and effects were great.

Story/Theme: I think you stuck to a theme from start to finish well, and didn't deviate to anything that I would have felt unnecessary. I haven't seen this anime but enjoyed the AMV nevertheless, and it left a very charming impression.

Overall a great AMV. I can see why it won.

Kazemon15
Org Profile

Post by Kazemon15 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:52 am

Thanks so much! Glad you enjoyed it. I don't do romance AMVs that often, so I'm glad to hear I did it well.

seasons
Org Profile

Post by seasons » Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:17 pm

Kazemon15 wrote:

Pretty good.

Simple, easy on the eyes, not the most groundbreaking AMV I've watched ever or even today but I do appreciate that a palpable theme of romance flowed through this from beginning to end, not one that ever felt inferred or forced. Maybe that was easy to accomplish with this source (never seen it) but regardless, it was pretty effective.

Kazemon15
Org Profile

Post by Kazemon15 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:17 pm

Thanks so much. Glad you enjoyed. I'm glad it didn't seem forced. I was worried about that.

I was just curious though, did anyone check out the other 3 vids? I know the first one is a con winner, but I did enjoy making the other 3 as well. :)

vkamv
Org Profile

Post by vkamv » Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:14 pm

Kazemon15 wrote:After a very long hiatus, I caught the editing bug again. Here are a few vids I did these past few months, I hope you all enjoy!

A Digimon Adventure Tri AMV featuring two characters who I thought deserved so much better in the series.
I have not seen this anime so my comments should be taken with that in consideration.

Audio/Visual: Overall, I thought it was visually pleasing and consistent from start to finish. I enjoyed your scene selection and believe it meshed well with the music.

There were a few things that bothered me. First, 0:17 was really sped it seems and kind of took me out of the AMV. The hair flapping that quickly in particular. Looked like a glitch at first watch.

Secondly, the fade to blacks were too strong. Perhaps next time use maybe 60% and not 100% black. You get the same effect without the great contrast. Makes it easier to watch (I’ve made the same mistake in my old AMVs and try not to use 100% black anymore unless to fades to black and stays black for a second or two). This is particularly harsh on the viewer when there are fade to blacks in quick succession, like at 2:12 to 2:14.

I really liked the transition at 1:43 to 1:44. It was a nice way to go from a dark scene to a bright scene.

The song was fitting as well. Sweet lyrics that matched pace of the scenes. Interesting duet too.

Synchronization: Because of the mood and generally even pace of the song the sync work seamed very straightforward and your choice of cross fades and fade to blacks accentuated the beats well enough. No array of scenes felt too quick or too slow. Great pacing.

Story/Theme: As I mentioned previously I have not seen this anime so I don’t know anymore about the characters than what I saw here. I had to watch it several times to get an idea of what your intent was. It appears to be a story about the lady remembering her former lover who died. The first minute focuses on her despair, and the remaining focuses on scenes with them together and establishing their history (both recent and far past). And since the second part was sung by a male singer I’m assuming you were telling their past through his perspective? And the end it with his as well.

Overall an interesting watch. Very different mood than your other romantic AMV.

Kazemon15
Org Profile

Post by Kazemon15 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:32 am

Thanks. Yeah these two characters have very little footage, barely enough to fit the 3 minute song. But the footage they did have fit the songs lyrics, so I went with it. It does make more sense when you watch the series. Thanks though! Glad you enjoyed. :D

vkamv
Org Profile

Post by vkamv » Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:52 am

Kazemon15 wrote:Thanks. Yeah these two characters have very little footage, barely enough to fit the 3 minute song. But the footage they did have fit the songs lyrics, so I went with it. It does make more sense when you watch the series. Thanks though! Glad you enjoyed. :D
Funny. When I watched the video I had the impression the whole anime was about them. :D

Return to “AMV Announcements & Feedback”