Shokugeki no Soma「AMV」Rebels Vs. Central - Régiment de Cuisine (Skillet - Hero)

Feedback on cataloged Anime Music Videos

Moderators: Mol, seasons

Forum rules
Please observe the following unique rules for this forum:
  • Please limit your new threads (not replies) to one per week. If you have several new videos to announce, create one thread for all the videos. (Note: if you forget one you can edit your post!)
  • Offsite links are allowed, but you are required to have a catalog entry for that video as well. Threads announcing videos that do not contain a catalog entry will be moved to the Awaiting Catalog Entry sub-forum and will be deleted in 2 weeks if an entry is not created.
  • When posting announcements, it is recommended that you include links to the catalog entries (using the video ID) in your post.
  • Videos that do not contain anime are allowed to be announced in the Other Videos section and are not required to have catalog entries.
DiggerShelduck
Org Profile

Shokugeki no Soma「AMV」Rebels Vs. Central - Régiment de Cuisine (Skillet - Hero)

Post by DiggerShelduck » Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:41 am

this is my second amv
hope you like it
critics welcome

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Location: I wonder if you know how they live in Tokyo... DRIFT, DRIFT, DRIFT
Org Profile

Re: Shokugeki no Soma「AMV」Rebels Vs. Central - Régiment de Cuisine (Skillet - Hero)

Post by Kionon » Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:13 am

DiggerShelduck wrote:this is my second amv
hope you like it
critics welcome
Moved this to AMV Announcements.

This concept is really hilarious. A super serious rock ballad about heroes and... it's an anime about celebrity chefs that provide orgasmic tastes to a panel of Japanese talents. This is a rock solid idea.

There are three major issues I have: visual quality, cut length, scene selection.

Visual quality is just... There's no way to sugar coat this... bad. It's 2018, and this was uploaded in "1080p at 60FPS" but it's neither that resolution nor framerate. There is considerable pixelation, smoothing, and banding even at the normal YouTube embed size. There is that strange use of letterboxing and there's the watermark which says ヴィネイfor some really strange reason. These are pretty common beginner mistakes due to... improper methods of source acquisition. They can be easily rectified by using a better starting source.

Most of your scenes were simply too long. This is one of the major reasons why the video doesn't remain funny. Without a much faster and harder pace of editing, the joke is understood in the first line of the song.

Finally, this is a series that seems like it has many, many great scenes that could be juxtaposed with the lyrics to keep the joke funny and provide for a complete and coherent comedy/parody video, but many of the scenes aren't specifically tied to the lyrics upon which they are overlaid. This is the other major reason the video doesn't remain funny. We get a very generalised concept of the joke early on, and that same generalised concept remains for the entire video. Having unique, specific examples of this concept from lyric to lyric would keep us laughing.

Again, this is a solid idea, an absolute gem of an idea. Don't abandon it. There's a diamond here, it's just very much "in the rough."
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

seasons
Org Profile

Re: Shokugeki no Soma「AMV」Rebels Vs. Central - Régiment de Cuisine (Skillet - Hero)

Post by seasons » Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:45 pm

The scene length and general slow pace of this video, in contrast to the combination of the over the top visuals and the bombast of the song created a...surreal feeling that I don't know if the editor intended or not. Which I guess is my way of saying that while I don't really care for this kind of AMV, it's not what interests me or what I want to see more of, I enjoyed this as it kind of went through the motions but had this uncanny sort of feel to it that felt weird. I really don't know how to explain it.

The watermark was the big distraction for me, they put those things on for a reason, because they do draw attention away from the visuals on the screen and make the original work very inferior to the original. I'm not going to lie, I appreciated the idea in this video and actually found the editing pretty clean and competent and watchable, but I almost can't even rate this because I don't even feel like I watched the real AMV, just a copy of it or something. Mind you, with all these complaints I still watched the whole video and I almost never do that when it comes to watermarked AMVs. Many other viewers won't care about this stuff and will tell you so, but that's just me.

Kireblue
Forum Admin
Org Profile

Post by Kireblue » Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:19 pm

I think that Season and Kionon hit on a lot of the major issues with this vid, so I'll just leave you with the link to the tutorial and guides section of the forums viewforum.php?f=145

I plan to add more to that section over the next few weeks, but for now, the "So You Want To Be A *GOOD* Anime Music Video Editor?" is a really good resource for learning how to improve your sync. And the "Roller Coaster Guide/Theory" is good for structuring your video. Everyone should definitely read over them at least once.

DiggerShelduck
Org Profile

Post by DiggerShelduck » Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:57 am

Kionon wrote:
DiggerShelduck wrote:this is my second amv
hope you like it
critics welcome
Moved this to AMV Announcements.

This concept is really hilarious. A super serious rock ballad about heroes and... it's an anime about celebrity chefs that provide orgasmic tastes to a panel of Japanese talents. This is a rock solid idea.

There are three major issues I have: visual quality, cut length, scene selection.

Visual quality is just... There's no way to sugar coat this... bad. It's 2018, and this was uploaded in "1080p at 60FPS" but it's neither that resolution nor framerate. There is considerable pixelation, smoothing, and banding even at the normal YouTube embed size. There is that strange use of letterboxing and there's the watermark which says ヴィネイfor some really strange reason. These are pretty common beginner mistakes due to... improper methods of source acquisition. They can be easily rectified by using a better starting source.

Most of your scenes were simply too long. This is one of the major reasons why the video doesn't remain funny. Without a much faster and harder pace of editing, the joke is understood in the first line of the song.

Finally, this is a series that seems like it has many, many great scenes that could be juxtaposed with the lyrics to keep the joke funny and provide for a complete and coherent comedy/parody video, but many of the scenes aren't specifically tied to the lyrics upon which they are overlaid. This is the other major reason the video doesn't remain funny. We get a very generalised concept of the joke early on, and that same generalised concept remains for the entire video. Having unique, specific examples of this concept from lyric to lyric would keep us laughing.

Again, this is a solid idea, an absolute gem of an idea. Don't abandon it. There's a diamond here, it's just very much "in the rough."
Thanks for this review
and also thank you for investing your time in watching the video and also writing this review.
I hope that I will improve in editing and scene selections and implement in my upcoming amvs.

DiggerShelduck
Org Profile

Post by DiggerShelduck » Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:59 am

Kireblue wrote:I think that Season and Kionon hit on a lot of the major issues with this vid, so I'll just leave you with the link to the tutorial and guides section of the forums viewforum.php?f=145

I plan to add more to that section over the next few weeks, but for now, the "So You Want To Be A *GOOD* Anime Music Video Editor?" is a really good resource for learning how to improve your sync. And the "Roller Coaster Guide/Theory" is good for structuring your video. Everyone should definitely read over them at least once.
Thank you for the reply
I'll read them once I get time

DiggerShelduck
Org Profile

Post by DiggerShelduck » Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:00 am

seasons wrote:The scene length and general slow pace of this video, in contrast to the combination of the over the top visuals and the bombast of the song created a...surreal feeling that I don't know if the editor intended or not. Which I guess is my way of saying that while I don't really care for this kind of AMV, it's not what interests me or what I want to see more of, I enjoyed this as it kind of went through the motions but had this uncanny sort of feel to it that felt weird. I really don't know how to explain it.

The watermark was the big distraction for me, they put those things on for a reason, because they do draw attention away from the visuals on the screen and make the original work very inferior to the original. I'm not going to lie, I appreciated the idea in this video and actually found the editing pretty clean and competent and watchable, but I almost can't even rate this because I don't even feel like I watched the real AMV, just a copy of it or something. Mind you, with all these complaints I still watched the whole video and I almost never do that when it comes to watermarked AMVs. Many other viewers won't care about this stuff and will tell you so, but that's just me.

I'll try not to include watermark for my next amvs
and thanks for watching it

Return to “AMV Announcements & Feedback”