My All AMV of Week [Silent Voice -- Himouto ! Umaru Chan -- Your Name -- Clannad]

Feedback on cataloged Anime Music Videos

Moderators: Mol, seasons

Forum rules
Please observe the following unique rules for this forum:
  • Please limit your new threads (not replies) to one per week. If you have several new videos to announce, create one thread for all the videos. (Note: if you forget one you can edit your post!)
  • Offsite links are allowed, but you are required to have a catalog entry for that video as well. Threads announcing videos that do not contain a catalog entry will be moved to the Awaiting Catalog Entry sub-forum and will be deleted in 2 weeks if an entry is not created.
  • When posting announcements, it is recommended that you include links to the catalog entries (using the video ID) in your post.
  • Videos that do not contain anime are allowed to be announced in the Other Videos section and are not required to have catalog entries.
Rayzox
Org Profile

My All AMV of Week [Silent Voice -- Himouto ! Umaru Chan -- Your Name -- Clannad]

Post by Rayzox » Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:57 am

Hi everybody ! And here is my very first AMV made on Adobe Premiere. Opinions ? Thank you.

/!\ THIS AMV CONTAINS POTENTIAL SPOIL /!\

MOUNTING TIME : 9Hours (because it's my first AMV)

--------------------------------------------------

THE FIRST AMV WITHOUT LYRICS IS HERE ! :

MOUNTING TIME : 10 minutes (to remove the lyrics)

And here is my second AMV made on Adobe Premiere. Opinions ? Thank you.

/!\ THIS AMV CONTAINS "POTENTIAL SPOIL" /!\

:? PROBLEMS :
-From a copyright on the anime I had to "delete" "edit" the last 40 seconds with a VHS effect to avoid blocking around the world. This allowed me not to show this part while keeping it with the maximum modification (without having to bypass the system ... just to have a background illustration)

MOUNTING TIME : 8Hours

And here is my third AMV made on Adobe Premiere. Opinions ? Thank you.

/!\ THIS AMV CONTAINS SPOIL /!\

-The slow motion present on small passages are not realistic and therefore problematic. The solution would be to use Twixtor on AP.
-Some transitions are not really immersive because Adobe Premiere when rendering can forget some frames ...
-the colorimetry are not yet developed

MOUNTING TIME : 6.5Hours

/!\ THIS AMV CONTAINS SPOIL /!\

-Some passages during the final rendering we received frames cut which sometimes gives small jumps of images (I did not notice that at the time of publication).
-Some transitions had to have sound effects to make the immersion stronger ... but they were too weak and the saturation of this one could have been problematic

MOUNTING TIME : 6Hours

PS : I'm French.
Last edited by Rayzox on Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:05 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Location: I wonder if you know how they live in Tokyo... DRIFT, DRIFT, DRIFT
Org Profile

Re: My First AMV [Koe No Katachi -- Let Her Go]

Post by Kionon » Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:48 pm

Rayzox wrote:Hi everybody ! And here is my very first AMV made on Adobe Premiere. Opinions?
Bienvenue.

Okay, so I like the song/source combination, I like your choice of scenes, but... I can't see them! So frustrating. Between the size of the lyrics (which are unnecessary, the song is in English and I am an English speaker as many viewers will be of AMVs), the colorising, the transitions, and the watermarks, a good half of the screen is covered. This is a really emotional video because this is an emotional source, and I really, really want to watch it. But I can't. A further issue is that I am a Japanese speaker, but I've never seen the source, so I want to read her messages, but the English lyrics gets in the way. It's too much when your underlying structure doesn't need it. Let the video be itself.
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

Rayzox
Org Profile

Post by Rayzox » Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:56 pm

Kionon wrote:
Rayzox wrote:Hi everybody ! And here is my very first AMV made on Adobe Premiere. Opinions?
Bienvenue.

Okay, so I like the song/source combination, I like your choice of scenes, but... I can't see them! So frustrating. Between the size of the lyrics (which are unnecessary, the song is in English and I am an English speaker as many viewers will be of AMVs), the colorising, the transitions, and the watermarks, a good half of the screen is covered. This is a really emotional video because this is an emotional source, and I really, really want to watch it. But I can't. A further issue is that I am a Japanese speaker, but I've never seen the source, so I want to read her messages, but the English lyrics gets in the way. It's too much when your underlying structure doesn't need it. Let the video be itself.
Hi !
I had the same comment on MAL or I also posted my video. I understood very well that the subtitles are too big and useless it is for his that I will try to upload without subtitles (I have specified in the description). In any case thank you for your comments.

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Org Profile

Post by Kionon » Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:27 pm

Rayzox wrote:[
Hi !
I had the same comment on MAL or I also posted my video. I understood very well that the subtitles are too big and useless it is for his that I will try to upload without subtitles (I have specified in the description). In any case thank you for your comments.
Okay, I will look for it. Also, there is one more thing:
Rules for Posting Announcements:

Please limit your new threads (not replies) to one per week. If you have several new videos to announce, create one thread for all the videos. (Note: if you forget one you can edit your post!)
I will merge your posts.
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

Rayzox
Org Profile

Post by Rayzox » Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:44 pm

Kionon wrote:
Rayzox wrote:[
Hi !
Okay, I will look for it. Also, there is one more thing:
Rules for Posting Announcements:

Please limit your new threads (not replies) to one per week. If you have several new videos to announce, create one thread for all the videos. (Note: if you forget one you can edit your post!)
I will merge your posts.

Thank you.

Ps : the version without lyrics is here ^^

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Org Profile

Post by Kionon » Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:41 am

Rayzox wrote:Thank you.

Ps : the version without lyrics is here ^^
A significant improvement.

Good:

- Song/Anime combination

This is a VERY strong combination. It really hammers home the concept of just how abusive he was when they were younger and how he has to struggle with that guilt and figure out how to make amends. Depressingly, because I can read the Japanese, but have not yet seen the source, I was particularly moved by where SHE apologises to HIM. This is shockingly common, where the bullied believes they must have done something wrong to warrant such behavior. That I've seen it in person, in Japanese schools, made this particularly effective with your song choice. This is not a pleasant video. It's decidedly unhappy, and the combination actually makes it unhappier still.

- Scene selection/Storyboarding/HEART

Related to the above, you did extremely well combining the elementary school, junior high school, and high school time periods in order to strongly imply, if not explicitly state, that what we are viewing is going on inside his head. These are flashbacks combined with his distraught conscience, and we are merely privy to this inner film.

- Audio quality

I put this on my Bose speakers and while the sound is very lo-fi, retro that seemed to be part of the sound engineering. What I particularly liked was how deep and rumbling the bass was, and if I plugged my ears and laid my hands flat on my desk, I could FEEL the editing synch. This is how many deaf people "listen" to music. Especially if, unlike the girl, they don't have or can't have hearing aids (cochlear implants). The fact that I was able to follow your video (albeit without the words, of course, this is where the use of subtitle lyrics WOULD be a great addition, but perhaps should be smaller and more towards the bottom of the screen) by the feel of the sound alone is quite nice.

Needs Improvement:

- Effects

I understand where you were going with the colorisation (this isn't an accurate reflection of real events, we are in his head, and so this over saturation, pink-shift, etc is supposed to communicate the haze of memory), but I don't think it was necessary. I think you could have left this to your scene choices, cuts, and transitions. I'm torn on the digitalness and quickness of your transitions. On the one hand, it seems somewhat out of place with the song, on the other hand it communicates the jumbled nature of his memories jumping around from time to time, memory to memory. I think I would be more okay with these transitions if you got rid of the colorisation, but I'd have to see it. Honestly, the strength here is your storyboarding. A lot of the effects you have done feel like they're added noise. You already have such a strong narrative here, I am just not sure it is necessary. If anything, it's probably subtracting more than it adds.

- Watermark/Opening Credits

I suggest if you insist on adding some kind of credits, you do so with the old, less obtrusive MTV/VH1 style lower lefthand corner details. Otherwise I suggested title cards before and after. I like that you let the watermark fade, but your name being blasted at the beginning of the video was distracting when I was trying to take in the setting of the scene. Sometimes I don't add title cards at all. No credits. I let the video stand on its own. If someone is going to take your video or your source, they'll find a way to do it.
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

Rayzox
Org Profile

Re: My All AMV of Week [Silent Voice -- Himouto ! Umaru Chan -- Your Name -- Clannad]

Post by Rayzox » Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:42 pm

New AMV ([AMV] Clannad - I Need A Doctor)

Return to “AMV Announcements & Feedback”