Unlimited Mess Works

Feedback on cataloged Anime Music Videos

Moderators: Mol, seasons

Forum rules
Please observe the following unique rules for this forum:
  • Please limit your new threads (not replies) to one per week. If you have several new videos to announce, create one thread for all the videos. (Note: if you forget one you can edit your post!)
  • Offsite links are allowed, but you are required to have a catalog entry for that video as well. Threads announcing videos that do not contain a catalog entry will be moved to the Awaiting Catalog Entry sub-forum and will be deleted in 2 weeks if an entry is not created.
  • When posting announcements, it is recommended that you include links to the catalog entries (using the video ID) in your post.
  • Videos that do not contain anime are allowed to be announced in the Other Videos section and are not required to have catalog entries.
ClaiN
Org Profile

Unlimited Mess Works

Post by ClaiN » Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:41 am

Actually did my second video sooner than expected. It's an IC entry and that considered, I'm even more happy I finished it. Well, enjoy!

seasons
Org Profile

Re: Unlimited Mess Works

Post by seasons » Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:32 pm

I don't enjoy watching Fate AMVs at all, and you're really not doing anything radically different with this source that anyone else does. So I was surprised by how oddly upbeat this felt in spite of how it never really steps out of the grimy and serious tone that almost everyone else sticks to when editing with this series.

Being 90 seconds long probably helps a lot, but you sustained a good sense of momentum and anticipation throughout this video. Maybe the lack of lyrics is really helps here--these are just fighting scenes and they speak for themselves without an extra layer of narrative laid on top of them.

This was some good editing.

ClaiN
Org Profile

Post by ClaiN » Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:00 pm

seasons wrote:I don't enjoy watching Fate AMVs at all, and you're really not doing anything radically different with this source that anyone else does.
The funny thing is that the day before the contest started I was saying in a chat "I will never edit a Fate action AMV, never". Basically for the reason you mentioned, it's an overused series in the genre and I didn't really feel capable of doing something distinctive.

Luckily, when song packs came out, there was this interesting track (the shortest one, also, and that's probably the major reason I started editing this amv) and Fate was actually the only anime I had in my hard drive. At that point I wasn't caring anymore about originality, I only tried to create an appealing action edit.

The genre itself is quite boring to me in most cases, probably because of this continuous, overedited style that's quite the norm for many editors, but that is definitely not my cup of tea. And I think my video is very different from the ones I'm talking about.

Glad you liked it!

CrackTheSky
has trust issues
Org Profile

Post by CrackTheSky » Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:08 pm

Agreed with pretty much everything seasons said. You made this source about as appealing as it's probably possible to make it to me, which is to say not very much, but no other Fate AMV has even done that before. The video is nothing especially outstanding but the simple editing and non-oversynced approach is welcome in the genre. Looking forward to more from you.

Return to “AMV Announcements & Feedback”