When We're Older - Your Name

Feedback on cataloged Anime Music Videos

Moderators: Mol, seasons

Forum rules
Please observe the following unique rules for this forum:
  • Please limit your new threads (not replies) to one per week. If you have several new videos to announce, create one thread for all the videos. (Note: if you forget one you can edit your post!)
  • Offsite links are allowed, but you are required to have a catalog entry for that video as well. Threads announcing videos that do not contain a catalog entry will be moved to the Awaiting Catalog Entry sub-forum and will be deleted in 2 weeks if an entry is not created.
  • When posting announcements, it is recommended that you include links to the catalog entries (using the video ID) in your post.
  • Videos that do not contain anime are allowed to be announced in the Other Videos section and are not required to have catalog entries.
initial-t
Org Profile

When We're Older - Your Name

Post by initial-t » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:01 am

I was inspired to jump back into AMV creating after a 15 year hiatus (the dark days of DBZ/Linkin Park mashups) when I heard a local convention was looking for entries. Tossed this together over the weekend as a combination competition submission and Premiere refresher course (a lot has changed but still felt very familiar).

NOTE: the Eurobeat-laden studio intro is only temporary and WILL NOT be in future videos.

Open to any feedback on how to improve for future projects!

Kireblue
Forum Admin
Org Profile

Re: When We're Older - Your Name

Post by Kireblue » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:24 am

Welcome back! It's always nice to see that no matter how long someone steps away from the hobby, they can always return to it :D

In terms of your video, I think that some of scenes that didn't have a lot of natural movement in them would have benefited from a bit of ken burns effect (slight zoom/ pan outs). I also think some of your crossfades would have been better as simple hard cuts. Ironically, you mostly used hard cuts to bridge scenes of them at different locations, but when they were together, you used crossfades (like at the end). I kinda feel like you'd typically do the opposite (although I think that your choice of using hard cuts for the scenes of them apart was the right decision).

But anyway, this was still pretty good. Looking forward to seeing what you do next :up:

initial-t
Org Profile

Re: When We're Older - Your Name

Post by initial-t » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:06 am

Kireblue wrote:Welcome back! It's always nice to see that no matter how long someone steps away from the hobby, they can always return to it :D

In terms of your video, I think that some of scenes that didn't have a lot of natural movement in them would have benefited from a bit of ken burns effect (slight zoom/ pan outs). I also think some of your crossfades would have been better as simple hard cuts. Ironically, you mostly used hard cuts to bridge scenes of them at different locations, but when they were together, you used crossfades (like at the end). I kinda feel like you'd typically do the opposite (although I think that your choice of using hard cuts for the scenes of them apart was the right decision).

But anyway, this was still pretty good. Looking forward to seeing what you do next :up:
Thanks for the feedback and good eye! I tried to be consistent with the type of transitions I used depending on the scene and even second-guessed some of the cross-fades that were hard cuts at one point.

I actually just learned about the Ken Burns Effect after submitting this video and browsing the forums so I'll have to do some experimenting with that for my next one. :-P

Return to “AMV Announcements & Feedback”