PonyNote [Otakon 2012 Best in Show]

Feedback on cataloged Anime Music Videos

Moderators: Mol, seasons

Forum rules
Please observe the following unique rules for this forum:
  • Please limit your new threads (not replies) to one per week. If you have several new videos to announce, create one thread for all the videos. (Note: if you forget one you can edit your post!)
  • Offsite links are allowed, but you are required to have a catalog entry for that video as well. Threads announcing videos that do not contain a catalog entry will be moved to the Awaiting Catalog Entry sub-forum and will be deleted in 2 weeks if an entry is not created.
  • When posting announcements, it is recommended that you include links to the catalog entries (using the video ID) in your post.
  • Videos that do not contain anime are allowed to be announced in the Other Videos section and are not required to have catalog entries.
User avatar
VivifxAMV
Crazed Creativity
Joined: Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:39 am
Status: In Haruhi We Trust.
Location: Los Angeles, California
Contact:
Org Profile

PonyNote [Otakon 2012 Best in Show]

Post by VivifxAMV » Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:37 am

Image



This AMV is...different. So I know it might garner a mixed reaction from people, either intense fangasming or intense hate (or you know somewhere in the middle) But we are all entitled to our feelings and opinions and that is quite alright.

I made this AMV for Otakon 2012 - and to my great pleasure and surprise it was the Best in Show choice. I hope that it isn't JUST to do with the fact that I used a highly popular source, but more to do with my creative concept.

My personal goal as an editor is to continue to push the boundaries of editing, with concepts and ideas that are creative and (hopefully) undone before I take a whack at it. This was my idea for this year. An AMV that took the two individual fandoms of otakudom and Ponydom and tried to combine them in a feasible way to both of the fans. So that Otaku's can enjoy this AMV, Bronies can enjoy this AMV and the few of us who are somewhere in between have the most fun.

I hope you enjoy this AMV as much as I do. it was an amazing experience seeing it live, and getting to live the feedback live. I just used live like three...now four times. Yay me. Anyway if you would like to learn more about this AMV you may consult this link

http://vividkatie.tumblr.com/post/28326 ... nd-rambles

Thank you!
ImageImage

User avatar
lloyd9988
Joined: Sun May 15, 2011 4:57 pm
Status: Yeahhhhh......
Location: AZ
Org Profile

Re: PonyNote [Otakon 2012 Best in Show]

Post by lloyd9988 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:52 am

And so it begins. . . :amv:

Kevmaster
Eisenbahnmörser
Joined: Sun May 28, 2006 12:20 pm
Org Profile

Re: PonyNote [Otakon 2012 Best in Show]

Post by Kevmaster » Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:21 am

I only got the concept half way through (probably because I was waiting for the ponies to die :lol: ) but then it suddenly made sense.
This was pretty awesome.

One thing though...honestly, everyone do me a favour and stop the HD frame size if your video doesn't even look too good in lower frame size :|

User avatar
Glitzer
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:05 am
Org Profile

Re: PonyNote [Otakon 2012 Best in Show]

Post by Glitzer » Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:33 am

Image

User avatar
S.A. Robert
Joined: Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:48 am
Location: Moscow/Russia
Org Profile

Re: PonyNote [Otakon 2012 Best in Show]

Post by S.A. Robert » Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:13 am

Ahaha, nice idea :asd:
Image
Image

User avatar
CodeZTM
Spin Me Round
Joined: Fri Mar 03, 2006 6:13 pm
Status: Flapping Lips
Location: Arkansas
Contact:
Org Profile

Re: PonyNote [Otakon 2012 Best in Show]

Post by CodeZTM » Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:47 am

This was a great AMV. XD Very adorable concept and solid execution of it. Scene selection was fantastic too. Facial reactions and body movements were spot on. :)

Although the visual quality was something to be desired. Death Note (the main focus besides the ponies) was very hard to look at with all of the blocking/banding.

Congrats on your win!

User avatar
Mkid
Im on the case
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:08 am
Status: No more mutants.
Location: A Farm in New York
Contact:
Org Profile

Re: PonyNote [Otakon 2012 Best in Show]

Post by Mkid » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:34 am

Aweh Man, creative AS F*CK. Good job I liked it :up:
Image

User avatar
irriadin
BUBBLES!
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2005 11:59 pm
Status: I fight for my friends
Location: Los Angeles, California
Contact:
Org Profile

Re: PonyNote [Otakon 2012 Best in Show]

Post by irriadin » Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:26 pm

Really nice editing and a great concept. It's no wonder you won at Otakon! Congrats Katie! :up:

User avatar
Radical_Yue
Joined: Fri Feb 04, 2005 8:45 pm
Status: The flamer with heart of gold~<3
Contact:
Org Profile

Re: PonyNote [Otakon 2012 Best in Show]

Post by Radical_Yue » Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:53 pm

THIS.


THIS.

THHHIIISSSSS.

This is the kind of comedy video that I love. Not because zomgponies, but because it's good. While I am a fan of the show, that's not what makes this video for me. It's all of the work and jokes you put into it. You could have just done the second half of the video with the MLP theme and characters lip syncing, but you went the extra mile. Not only did you create an entirely new story for it, you made sure the jokes kept coming by putting custom stuff in there. It's soooo easy to just let a funny song with a funny anime or a silly combination do all the work. This is also one of the first comedy videos to ever make me laugh without the crowd mindset of being at at con.

I could harp on technical stuff, but that's not the point of this video. This is a fun video that will make crowds and fans laugh. I look forward to being able to watch this with an audience. :up:


Image

User avatar
Warlike Swans
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:38 pm
Status: Pending
Org Profile

Re: PonyNote [Otakon 2012 Best in Show]

Post by Warlike Swans » Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:15 pm

I know I've said this earlier, but I think you should have either found a male singer to mix in w/ the Pony audio for Light's lines, pitched them, or just not lip synced them at all. The concept of this video is ingenious though, and the execution was otherwise awesome.

I do wish the ratio of clips was tilted more toward anime though, especially at the very end.

User avatar
Fall_Child42
has a rock
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 6:32 pm
Status: Veloci-tossin' to the max!
Location: Jurassic Park
Org Profile

Re: PonyNote [Otakon 2012 Best in Show]

Post by Fall_Child42 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:32 pm

I haven't found you in the other chat to tell you this yet, but I really liked this video.

The reason I like this video is the concept. You put alot of planning and work into the concept of this video and it shines through. I loved the little jokes, asides and other details you put in here.

Like Yue, I cannot wait to see a crowd watch this. They'll love it.

:shark:
Image

User avatar
NepNep
Joined: Tue May 11, 2004 12:44 pm
Location: Canada
Contact:
Org Profile

Re: PonyNote [Otakon 2012 Best in Show]

Post by NepNep » Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:51 pm

wow, that was a different idea. I personally don't get the pony craze and am quite sick of it every time I go to a convention, but this was a funny and unique idea so I really liked it. I have been to a few competitions where it seemed like a video won just because the audience likes ponies so much, but I don't think that would be the case with this video at all. Good job :) and congrats on your win
Image

User avatar
VivifxAMV
Crazed Creativity
Joined: Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:39 am
Status: In Haruhi We Trust.
Location: Los Angeles, California
Contact:
Org Profile

Re: PonyNote [Otakon 2012 Best in Show]

Post by VivifxAMV » Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:07 pm

Kevmaster wrote:I only got the concept half way through (probably because I was waiting for the ponies to die :lol: ) but then it suddenly made sense.
This was pretty awesome.

One thing though...honestly, everyone do me a favour and stop the HD frame size if your video doesn't even look too good in lower frame size :|
Okay -- I am absolutely terrible at tech stuff haha so I am like...90% sure I know what you mean XD So I will definitely do that in the future! Thank you!
CodeZTM wrote:This was a great AMV. XD Very adorable concept and solid execution of it. Scene selection was fantastic too. Facial reactions and body movements were spot on. :)

Although the visual quality was something to be desired. Death Note (the main focus besides the ponies) was very hard to look at with all of the blocking/banding.

Congrats on your win!
Thanks! Like said -- so bad at all the video tech stuff >.< I need to take a crash course on it haha - or talk to someone who is a total expert.
Radical_Yue wrote:THIS.


THIS.

THHHIIISSSSS.

This is the kind of comedy video that I love. Not because zomgponies, but because it's good. While I am a fan of the show, that's not what makes this video for me. It's all of the work and jokes you put into it. You could have just done the second half of the video with the MLP theme and characters lip syncing, but you went the extra mile. Not only did you create an entirely new story for it, you made sure the jokes kept coming by putting custom stuff in there. It's soooo easy to just let a funny song with a funny anime or a silly combination do all the work. This is also one of the first comedy videos to ever make me laugh without the crowd mindset of being at at con.

I could harp on technical stuff, but that's not the point of this video. This is a fun video that will make crowds and fans laugh. I look forward to being able to watch this with an audience. :up:


Image
>//////< Thank you so much Yue! That means a lot coming from you!
Fall_Child42 wrote:I haven't found you in the other chat to tell you this yet, but I really liked this video.

The reason I like this video is the concept. You put alot of planning and work into the concept of this video and it shines through. I loved the little jokes, asides and other details you put in here.

Like Yue, I cannot wait to see a crowd watch this. They'll love it.

:shark:
Thank you so much! Yes it is a big hit with crowds haha, as I learned this weekend!
nicki_013 wrote:wow, that was a different idea. I personally don't get the pony craze and am quite sick of it every time I go to a convention, but this was a funny and unique idea so I really liked it. I have been to a few competitions where it seemed like a video won just because the audience likes ponies so much, but I don't think that would be the case with this video at all. Good job :) and congrats on your win
Thank you so much! That is good to hear!! And I enjoyed your video as well! :lol:

Thank you everyone for your kind words - --really they mean a lot!
ImageImage

User avatar
l33tmeatwad
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2005 3:22 pm
Status: Trolling
Location: Blacksburg, VA
Contact:
Org Profile

Re: PonyNote [Otakon 2012 Best in Show]

Post by l33tmeatwad » Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:52 pm

Very good execution for an FMV, the execution of mixing the anime and american animation was very well done. As Code said, the visual quality did suffer a little, feel free to ask me on Skype anytime for tips on cleaning up dark/washed out source like death note.

The second part felt a like a different video and was probably not really needed for the impact of the joke. While it was edited decently, it was not as good as the editing in the opening part.

Overall it was a unique comedy video that works and is executed well.

PS The shirt wasn't infected, I promise :cry:
Software & Guides: AMVpack | AMV 101 | AviSynth 101 | VapourSynth 101
PixelBlended Studios: Website | Facebook | Tumblr | Twitter | YouTube

User avatar
Hikado95
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:55 pm
Status: AMVero
Location: Lima / Peru - France / Orleánds
Contact:
Org Profile

Re: PonyNote [Otakon 2012 Best in Show]

Post by Hikado95 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:33 pm

Pony Note !! *OO*!! :up:
GOOD work! :bear:

Locked

Return to “AMV Announcements & Feedback”