(First AMV) Demon Slayer, Rise Above It. Seeking Feedback and Constructive Criticism

Feedback on cataloged Anime Music Videos

Moderators: Mol, seasons

Forum rules
Please observe the following unique rules for this forum:
  • Please limit your new threads (not replies) to one per week. If you have several new videos to announce, create one thread for all the videos. (Note: if you forget one you can edit your post!)
  • Offsite links are allowed, but you are required to have a catalog entry for that video as well. Threads announcing videos that do not contain a catalog entry will be moved to the Awaiting Catalog Entry sub-forum and will be deleted in 2 weeks if an entry is not created.
  • When posting announcements, it is recommended that you include links to the catalog entries (using the video ID) in your post.
  • Videos that do not contain anime are allowed to be announced in the Other Videos section and are not required to have catalog entries.
Anderbon
Org Profile

(First AMV) Demon Slayer, Rise Above It. Seeking Feedback and Constructive Criticism

Post by Anderbon » Wed Jun 07, 2023 1:11 pm

So, I just created my first AMV, and I'd love some feedback from experienced editors.

Stuff I'd like to know:

Scene selection: Do you think the scenes go well with the music vibe?
Timing and synchronization: Does the video beat match the music?
Transitions: Do the scene changes feel smooth?
Overall: Did the AMV hit you in the feels or tell a cool story?
Was the sound design too much?

Any other comments are totally welcome. Your feedback will help me get better at this, so thanks in advance for checking it out, and letting me know what you think!

Fluxmeister
Org Profile

Re: (First AMV) Demon Slayer, Rise Above It. Seeking Feedback and Constructive Criticism

Post by Fluxmeister » Thu Jun 08, 2023 8:46 pm

Nice work on your first video and best of luck on future efforts! Onto the requested feedback:

Disclosure: I am not familiar with either source (though the anime is in my watch list and I've seen some clips before).
Scene selection: Do you think the scenes go well with the music vibe?
- The anime is very visually appealing (makes editing more fun too).
- The music and anime definitely fit thematically (at least from what I understand, ha!). The lyrics... I can't quite judge without knowing the show.
Timing and synchronization: Does the video beat match the music?
- Some of the clips are on the longer side and do not necessarily match up with beats. Matching every beat would be overkill. I've definitely had too many or too few "syncs" in my videos. This is part of the style you will have to build up for yourself (based on preference).
- Consider breaking up the longish scenes. Interrupt and return to them later (or cut them up to increase/decrease pace as needed).
- There were a few slower scenes during the heaviest parts of the song that didn't quite fit in (but maybe they were intentional).
- Slowing down the pace of the video at the end was fitting. I wish the side view of the character's face was longer (it switched at ~2:51).
- Is that the find edges effect at 0:36? I wonder if that could have been used in a few more spots just to make it part of the style of the video. I think I saw it again at :50 (but I'm not clear what the scene is of admittedly).
Transitions: Do the scene changes feel smooth?
- Bit mixed. Some of the scene changes matched up with a component of the music/lyrics but others did not seem to.
Overall: Did the AMV hit you in the feels or tell a cool story?
- It certainly made me more curious about the anime. Without knowing more of the anime my opinion on this is a bit rough.
Was the sound design too much?
- I don't think so.
- I thought some of the spots where audio was included were a great accent (fire sound for example).
- In some cases it overwhelmed the song and kind of took me out of the experience.

Questions to ask yourself:

How do you feel about the video now that it is done? Was it fun/exciting to create? Was it a "celebration" of both song/anime? I'm hoping you like both!

Any things you thought worked well and want to repeat/build on in future videos?

Any areas you want to further learn about and try?

A non-video specific consideration would be to ask "was there anything I can make easier or go faster?" (through education or trial and error). Example for me: I found I was wasting a lot of time on a multi-step key sequence to make subclips. I was able to create a macro that sped the process up.
| NHMK Music Video Downloads | Editing like it's 2006. |

Return to “AMV Announcements & Feedback”