They Call It, Heavy AniMetal!

Feedback on cataloged Anime Music Videos

Moderators: Mol, seasons

Forum rules
Please observe the following unique rules for this forum:
  • Please limit your new threads (not replies) to one per week. If you have several new videos to announce, create one thread for all the videos. (Note: if you forget one you can edit your post!)
  • Offsite links are allowed, but you are required to have a catalog entry for that video as well. Threads announcing videos that do not contain a catalog entry will be moved to the Awaiting Catalog Entry sub-forum and will be deleted in 2 weeks if an entry is not created.
  • When posting announcements, it is recommended that you include links to the catalog entries (using the video ID) in your post.
  • Videos that do not contain anime are allowed to be announced in the Other Videos section and are not required to have catalog entries.
Zeonic Freak
Org Profile

They Call It, Heavy AniMetal!

Post by Zeonic Freak » Fri Jul 01, 2022 8:05 am

Ever since I heard Judas Priest "Heavy Metal" probably about two years ago, I just KNEW a video had to be done with it, and I wanted to do it real justice. This song hits so hard so well, and I'm surprised it's not talked about enough in the Metal music community (or maybe it is if I was part of one, mainstream radio sucks anyways.)

The intro is from the opening to Reel Big Fish "You Don't Know," which I felt something that off beat could be a great intro to attach to something like this project. This is my first multi-sourced AMV, and it's taken me since the beginning of this year to slowly work on it here and there and take a few breaks in between. This was just a fun project to put together, and I feel at this moment this is the best that I want to do with it. I hope you guys enjoy the work.

vivafruit
Org Profile

Re: They Call It, Heavy AniMetal!

Post by vivafruit » Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:33 am

I was smiling the entire way through. The dedication to syncing up the guitars is just insane. In particular I really gotta call out the first 30 seconds - it's just sublime. I don't know if you play guitar, but it really felt like you did - if I tried to do something similar it probably just wouldn't work since I'm not familiar enough with the instrument.

A pretty standard multi-source nitpick applies here. There is a lot of variation in video clip quality across the AMV. I think the ones that stood out the most were the Black Heaven ones. But at the same time it's not like good guitar clips are a dime a dozen so I understand trying to make it work with the clips you were given. One thing that helps (but doesn't completely fix the issue) is using an upscaling algorithm like waifu2x to upscale the lower res clips.

Otherwise I have no complaints. It's a really neat piece of work.

Zeonic Freak
Org Profile

Re: They Call It, Heavy AniMetal!

Post by Zeonic Freak » Thu Jul 07, 2022 2:43 pm

vivafruit wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:33 am
I was smiling the entire way through. The dedication to syncing up the guitars is just insane. In particular I really gotta call out the first 30 seconds - it's just sublime. I don't know if you play guitar, but it really felt like you did - if I tried to do something similar it probably just wouldn't work since I'm not familiar enough with the instrument.

A pretty standard multi-source nitpick applies here. There is a lot of variation in video clip quality across the AMV. I think the ones that stood out the most were the Black Heaven ones. But at the same time it's not like good guitar clips are a dime a dozen so I understand trying to make it work with the clips you were given. One thing that helps (but doesn't completely fix the issue) is using an upscaling algorithm like waifu2x to upscale the lower res clips.

Otherwise I have no complaints. It's a really neat piece of work.
I appreciate the compliment man! This was something brand new for me to try out and I felt that I didn't really see it in other rock/metal AMV's from what I found on having instrument play be the key factor in the video. The fact that you told me how you felt really means a lot, that is what my goal was is to blow the viewer away with something unique like that.

I played very little guitar but I have an understanding of matching strums to the music. I know for a fact that the shredding in the beginning did not match the correct notes to the video sources since most of the instruments used were Bass instruments or notes played higher up on the guitar neck that wouldn't match with the picking. Asthetically, it looks cool, that's what im going for, but i'd appreciate if a real musician looked at that and could find exactly what notes the anime characters were using.

Yes, Black Heaven quality was the lowest I used. I had other video sources I wanted to use like California Crisis and the Bubblegum Crisis 2033 Music Video OAV, but the quality I could find online did not work well with this video and had to be trashed. Black Heaven from what I could find was just still shots of guitar playing instead of really technical stuff you saw from K-On, Haruhi and BECK. BECK was a strong contender since its an anime based on bands so there is incredible amount of detail to notes. Visually To-Y was by far the best since the drums matched near perfectly to it. Yea im rambling, but you leaving a comment made me open up on all the technical details.

Return to “AMV Announcements & Feedback”