Iwi,&if. (Alien Nine AMV)

Feedback on cataloged Anime Music Videos

Moderators: Mol, seasons

Forum rules
Please observe the following unique rules for this forum:
  • Please limit your new threads (not replies) to one per week. If you have several new videos to announce, create one thread for all the videos. (Note: if you forget one you can edit your post!)
  • Offsite links are allowed, but you are required to have a catalog entry for that video as well. Threads announcing videos that do not contain a catalog entry will be moved to the Awaiting Catalog Entry sub-forum and will be deleted in 2 weeks if an entry is not created.
  • When posting announcements, it is recommended that you include links to the catalog entries (using the video ID) in your post.
  • Videos that do not contain anime are allowed to be announced in the Other Videos section and are not required to have catalog entries.
seasons
Org Profile

Iwi,&if. (Alien Nine AMV)

Post by seasons » Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:51 am

The second time I've edited an AMV with this anime (and also the last, for sure). I tried to not reuse any of the scenes that I'd used in my previous Alien Nine AMV, a swlf-imposed rule I actually did stick to for like 98% of this.

I have wanted to make something like this for a while now. What I mean by "this" is hard to explain. Sometimes you want to try explain things but sometimes it might be better not to do that at all and to just let a viewer come to their own conclusions instead.

I guess I alternate between trying to make AMVs that ideally could be enjoyed by everybody and AMVs that are just the opposite of that and this is an example of the latter, so adjust your expectations before watching this if you haven't already.

I will never stop editing in 480p.
Spoiler :
I couldn't really use a screenshot of any of this as a thumbnail image so I had to make something and that's really all there is to that

Megamom
Org Profile

Re: Iwi,&if. (Alien Nine AMV)

Post by Megamom » Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:47 am

My own "this": there is a genre of music called "dream pop", I think this AMV has been its equivalent in video. Also... This could be a video art, it was not heavy for me, I enjoyed it even looking at it.
NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE

vivafruit
Org Profile

Post by vivafruit » Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:59 am

This is very cool. I have wanted to experiment with what you did here in the soccer clip - syncing each frame of animation to the beat - but hadn't gotten around to it. I think it works really well here and now I will definitely have to try it. I also enjoyed the deliberate muted tone of the entire thing. So many amvs try to razzle dazzle you with tons of stuff. And I think this demonstrates that you don't need to do that - you can hold someone's attention with minimal flashiness as long as the visuals are interesting. For some reason it's very hypnotic watching the limited amount of pixels you've allowed on the screen to dance around in muted ways.

I could be way off here, but going from the title, my impression is that this is about watching a work of art that doesn't really do a lot for you. Everything is muted, hazy, and hard to remember. Images are quickly forgotten as new ones take their place. When the work is over and you finally wake up (signaled at the end when the colors finally come back in), there's someone there eagerly asking you how it was. But you were totally zoned out and have no real insight to give them. "It was okay I guess?"

Thankfully that didn't happen to me with this amv. I don't think I've seen something quite like it before.

Megamom
Org Profile

Post by Megamom » Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:06 pm

vivafruit wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:59 am
I don't think I've seen something quite like it before.
This is totally true, I have been watching AMVs for more than 15 years and I have never seen anything like it. There are many original AMVs, but I think this goes one step further. I see this 10 times, is addictive :ying:
NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE

seasons
Org Profile

Post by seasons » Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:29 am

vivafruit wrote:
This is very cool. I have wanted to experiment with what you did here in the soccer clip - syncing each frame of animation to the beat - but hadn't gotten around to it. I think it works really well here and now I will definitely have to try it.
This part was done just by adjusting the clip speed (which introduced a lot of visual elements that would definitely be unwanted in most other projects) and the movement never syncs up with the beat exactly (except when it suddenly kind of does, which achieved the general feeling I was trying to get through the effect of sync but falling in and out of phase, if that makes any sense) but at the eleventh hour I considered actually doing what you're describing, manually syncing every new frame perfectly to the beat and just adding duplicate clips in between. But I didn't really even try this at all. I'd like to see it but it really depends on having a scene that feels appropriate and I don't exactly know what that would be.
vivafruit wrote:
I also enjoyed the deliberate muted tone of the entire thing. So many amvs try to razzle dazzle you with tons of stuff. And I think this demonstrates that you don't need to do that - you can hold someone's attention with minimal flashiness as long as the visuals are interesting. For some reason it's very hypnotic watching the limited amount of pixels you've allowed on the screen to dance around in muted ways.
I have always been drawn to that kind of thing and wanted to deliberately explore what might happen when you embrace the visual flaws that everyone has always bent over backward to remove from their work.
vivafruit wrote:
I could be way off here, but going from the title, my impression is that this is about watching a work of art that doesn't really do a lot for you. Everything is muted, hazy, and hard to remember. Images are quickly forgotten as new ones take their place. When the work is over and you finally wake up (signaled at the end when the colors finally come back in), there's someone there eagerly asking you how it was. But you were totally zoned out and have no real insight to give them. "It was okay I guess?"
The title was a reference to something that you will eventually encounter if/when you upload a video to this site. But I just liked the sound of it. I also like keeping expectations modest so at least I can get out ahead of that.
Megamom wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:06 pm
vivafruit wrote:
This is totally true, I have been watching AMVs for more than 15 years and I have never seen anything like it. There are many original AMVs, but I think this goes one step further. I see this 10 times, is addictive :ying:
:sweat:

CrackTheSky
has trust issues
Org Profile

Post by CrackTheSky » Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:48 am

This is such a dreamy, ethereal, mesmerizing video. I love the way you take artifacting and make it an intentional effect -- combined with the stuttery frame rate, this video feels like trying to remember a dream and only being able to get impressions and feelings rather than concrete settings or faces. I especially enjoy the last minute or so where you layer a bunch of scenes on top of one another and combine them with long crossfades to make this extended sequence that just kind of morphs and shifts and it's impossible to follow the scene changes, and they just kind of happen and you don't realize you're seeing a new scene for a second or two. I don't know if this makes sense but it's easily my favorite part of the video.

Your videos are so unique and I love the way you approach this hobby -- you're exploring a corner that nobody else is occupying, and it's so cool to see what new, weird, fascinating take you'll come up with next. Love it.
Megamom wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:06 pm
vivafruit wrote:
Oh boy guys, just wait until you watch some of seasons' back catalog!

SilkAMV
Org Profile

Post by SilkAMV » Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:28 pm

Watching this reminded me of watching Genius Party, and that's pretty incredible for an AMV. I don't often have my mind massaged like this, but I'm grateful any time it happens. My only criticism is that the part where you synced the frames to the beat went slightly out of alignment with the music. I would have smoothed that out a bit more meticulously. That said, who knows with a video like this. Maybe going off sync works too because screw convention. Nice work.

Return to “AMV Announcements & Feedback”