Best New Creator

Castor Troy
Ryan Molina, A.C.E
Org Profile

Post by Castor Troy » Thu Feb 27, 2003 9:32 pm

Ashton wrote:
Castor Troy wrote:We'll still welcome you with open arms at AX2003 Ashton. You pay for your own food though :P
Dude, no way! I saw the doc! That food is freaking expensive, and sticks to the plates! (or was that at A-con? I can't even remember. The same principle applies anyway)
Now we just have to make sure to organize the AMV dinner so that I get to meet everyone! I'm not leaving until I've at least shaken everyones hand! :D
We're gonna organize it at a japanese restaurant which will probably cost even more. :P
"You're ignoring everything, except what you want to hear.." - jbone

SpPANDA
Org Profile

Post by SpPANDA » Thu Feb 27, 2003 11:40 pm

mmm... chicken teriyaki...

Ashton
Org Profile

Post by Ashton » Fri Feb 28, 2003 12:25 am

Castor Troy wrote:
Ashton wrote:
Castor Troy wrote:We'll still welcome you with open arms at AX2003 Ashton. You pay for your own food though :P
Dude, no way! I saw the doc! That food is freaking expensive, and sticks to the plates! (or was that at A-con? I can't even remember. The same principle applies anyway)
Now we just have to make sure to organize the AMV dinner so that I get to meet everyone! I'm not leaving until I've at least shaken everyones hand! :D
We're gonna organize it at a japanese restaurant which will probably cost even more. :P
Oh for crying out loud! At least I can do my order in Japanese, and then ErMaC and I can argue about the politics of the comunity in Japanese, and everyone will be like "ohh.. that's... really.. pointless."
Anyway, yeah, Daniel and I will be there to crash the party, won't we Daniel!?
The anime Channel Petition Sign it if you like anime.
My member profile on the org.
オタク同士やろう! Ashton

EarthCurrent
Org Profile

Post by EarthCurrent » Fri Feb 28, 2003 2:30 am

SpPANDA wrote:mmm... chicken teriyaki...
:? Chanko Nabe

Wonka
Org Profile

Post by Wonka » Fri Feb 28, 2003 2:40 am

This thread needs to die a horrible death post haste Image

EarthCurrent
Org Profile

Post by EarthCurrent » Fri Feb 28, 2003 2:44 am

Wonka wrote:This thread needs to die a horrible death post haste Image
ATTITUDE ADJUSTMENT CAT SAYS: "EAT MORE LIVER"

and with that bit of wisdom this thread is given its death notice.

Rozard
Org Profile

Post by Rozard » Fri Feb 28, 2003 11:43 am

RichLather: We are guests of this forum, and as such we do not make the rules.
BishounenStalker The freedom to suck is what makes the Internet rock.

paizuri
Org Profile

Post by paizuri » Fri Feb 28, 2003 1:51 pm

Ashton wrote:AWARDS MEAN NOTHING!

No, I actually don't really buy into that, but don't let the others know you think otherwise... otherwise it will spawn an 11 page brutal massacre session!
The sad thing is, I don't think Ashton learned anything from this thread. :cry:
My favorite video: Grilled Steak Trigun I LOVE THE COPS! Rargh!
I ain't 2 proud 2 beg! haha school rumble is great
Why do I always have the most preposterous sigs???
My current favorite thread. I'm a huge fan of GA-JAMMING.

Corran
Org Profile

Post by Corran » Fri Feb 28, 2003 1:56 pm

Rozard wrote:
HAHA I love that picture and I couldn't agree more.

dwchang
Sad Boy on Site
Org Profile

Post by dwchang » Sat Mar 01, 2003 4:26 am

Ok I know the thread is dead (regardless if anyone's opinion was changed), but I think something needs to be said in general to the AMV community since this sort of thing continually comes up. Given the majority of it has been implied, but it is a public forum and I wanna share my thoughts so :-P Also Ashton this is in no way directed at you. I just think something needs to be said since "stuff' keeps coming up.

As MJ said, most of us make videos for ourselves. I hear a song, see a vision and want to see if I can create it. I then have fun making it and am happy with the results. Now what's wrong with just that? I mean, it *is* a hobby and if you're having fun making it and enjoying the result, why do you need an award when you were happy creating it and watching it (as you have mentioned)? Now of course, I love getting a positive review and realizing that someone else likes my videos (other than myself), but honestly, if I am satisfied with the result...that's all that matters. I mean if I based my "happiness" on awards on my videos...I'd be a very sad person haha. Again it's a H-O-B-B-Y.

At the few cons that I've had the honor of being on a panel, I always tell the "n00bs" that it's all about yourself. If you're not happy doing a video, do something else. If you feel like making a Linkinball Z video, do it. Have fun doing it, but don't expect everyone to like it (i.e don't feel entitled). People are entitled to their own opinion and if they don't agree that your video is the second coming...oh well. At least you are getting the opportunity to show your work. There are countless people that don't even get that opportunity due to lack of equipment, software, etc.

I may add that (as someone said earlier), what's the joy in getting award when you had to ask all these people to nominate you? I think most creators who didn't expect a nomination are the most pleased. By getting all your friends, famliy, etc. to sign up just to nominate you kind of makes it a bit biased and not a real award in my opinion. When I give my videos to my friends, they always tell me they're great. That's because they're my friends. I like it more when I get a random e-mail or IM (as Machine said). If you aren't having fun when not winning, maybe you should pick up another hobby that you can win in (and in result be happy). If you're doing this to win, doesn't it feel more like a job?

I might add that the VCAs are really just a popularity contest. Given it's an honor to win, but it's usually fans recognizing a name and voting for it. They have very little in terms of "being the best" and whatnot in my opinion.

So, I guess what I'm trying to say is that each of us as creators need to really analyze our actions towards each other (Yes, I realize how I just jumped topics and started preaching). I guess the reason I'm posting this (although this thread is dead) is because we as creators need to honor each other's works (and opinions). I have seen countless incidents where a creator bashes another video which is usually by a n00b and it makes me sick.

I won't lie, there are videos that I don't like, but regardless of what I think, the creator made it for themselves and not for me. They are obviously satisfied enough with the results to share it with the world and I chose to watch it. So, what do I gain by bashing them? I should feel honored that they want to share their work with me. Therefore, we as creators need to honor each other's work and if we share opinions, be polite about it (and helpful if we think there is need for improvement). We obviously all like making videos and should just be happy doing it. I'd also like to add that we could've been a bit more polite when trying to tell Ashton our opinions. As I said above, he's entitled to his opinion as well.

I think that's why AWA is such a great con...we get together with other creators who do the same niche thing we do and we are just happy with that. I mean...we are a sub-culture of an already sub-culture (i.e. anime - sub culture AMVs a sub culture of that...it's a Binary Tree...such a nerd am I. I wonder if anyone got that?).

In any case, that's all I wanted to say. I apologize for the length and preachiness (oh and lack of coherence). It's something I've wanted to say for a long time since I'm fairly disillusioned with the community in general. Hopefully it made sense, but more importantly hopefully all of you already do that ^_^. So with that said...Preacher Daniel has spoken!

Daniel Chang ^_^
Ninja Gaijin Productions

Return to “VCA Shameless Promotions 2003”