Best New Creator

Ashton
Org Profile

Post by Ashton » Thu Feb 27, 2003 9:15 am

WilLoW :--) wrote:Ashton,
honestly, as I was following this topic, I decided not to vote for you...but this was childish :? . Now that the votes deadline has been postponed, I think I'll watch some of your vids.

Which ones do you suggest me ? (for example, the one that you like the most and the one that other people like the most)

PS: Your vids 'd better be very good, because I don't appreciate the way you see AMV competitions... (I don't like people who can't accept to lose)...and even if I try, I'm sure this will influence my vote
My favorite is video of my own is See and AMG vid to a song I rather feel I don't like at all, but seems to have found it's way into the video all the same.
Another one I rather liked was my first video: Lies, which, again, I liked, but this time it's reversed, I loved the song, and everybody else hated it. Not to mention the fact that the anime is straight up under par. All the same, I was very proud of it at the time, and the hours spent pulling my hair out wrestling with premiere are evident.
That said, I CANNOT garauntee to you any degree of pleasure, because, as I am learning, I may be the only one who has fun watching my own vids.
As for "The one other people like the most", that would be "Kamikakushi Overture", but that came out in 2003, so I won't provide a link, because it's not somethign you should be considering.
Thank you, Willow, for at least taking the time to CONSIDER honoring the original request.
The anime Channel Petition Sign it if you like anime.
My member profile on the org.
オタク同士やろう! Ashton

Ashton
Org Profile

Post by Ashton » Thu Feb 27, 2003 9:18 am

BishounenStalker wrote:The point I see a lot of you making (and doing a damn good job of it) is that Ashton really is making AMVs for the wrong reasons. I don't care if you're 17 years old or not. In my experience, age and maturity are in no way interdependent. You're acting like one of the sore loser brats on the P.E. field who would whine and sulk behind the equipment shed because he didn't get first place in Field Day.
But how is that? I haven't even lost yet. All I was trying was to make one last stand. All I wanted was to try too show my resolve, so that even if I lost the fight I would not be remembered as "also ran". That's the problem, BS: If I hadn't made this thread, next to NO ONE would be considering voting for me. Nobody would even have noticed me on the ballot. Now at least I'm being scorned! To me that's much better than being ignored. But again, it's a matter of my personal values, and the way I was raised. You might not understand might point of view, but at least I respect that. I wish you would do the same for me.
オタク同士やろう! Ashton

FirestormXIII
Org Profile

Post by FirestormXIII » Thu Feb 27, 2003 10:11 am

Ashton wrote:
BishounenStalker wrote:The point I see a lot of you making (and doing a damn good job of it) is that Ashton really is making AMVs for the wrong reasons. I don't care if you're 17 years old or not. In my experience, age and maturity are in no way interdependent. You're acting like one of the sore loser brats on the P.E. field who would whine and sulk behind the equipment shed because he didn't get first place in Field Day.
But how is that? I haven't even lost yet. All I was trying was to make one last stand. All I wanted was to try too show my resolve, so that even if I lost the fight I would not be remembered as "also ran". That's the problem, BS: If I hadn't made this thread, next to NO ONE would be considering voting for me. Nobody would even have noticed me on the ballot. Now at least I'm being scorned! To me that's much better than being ignored. But again, it's a matter of my personal values, and the way I was raised. You might not understand might point of view, but at least I respect that. I wish you would do the same for me.
But the only reason that people even notice you now is because you're whining and pleading for someone to vote for you. Not the way I'd want to be remembered...

I'm also sure you've changed a few people's minds to the 'not voting for Ashton at all' category by your actions here. :?

/Deposits two cents
Everyone is not the same as you.
Get over it.
And lighten up.

Ashyukun
Medicinal Leech
Org Profile

Post by Ashyukun » Thu Feb 27, 2003 10:53 am

Ashton wrote: You've got some really good numbers there, but really what I was counting on when I came in was the laziness factor. I thought that if someone was lazy and left blatant errors, that video would get paned, and I was expecting that to clear out the ballots for the most part. Only thing is, I'm finding out that no one cares, and that my most popular video took 15 hours to make, while the video that took me over 200 hours to make gets spit on. I was just wrong.
People are, by nature, Highly Illogical. And there may well be no consistency between what they like and what we creators think they will like. I don't think any of us can truly predict what people will like with much accuracy. Sure, there are some things that will usually get people's attention and be well received, and certain things that will generally piss people off (i.e., Linkball Z vids here). I seem to remember (though he may put me straight if I'm wrong) that Hsien/Kusoyaro expected Self-Titled to be more successful and more of a contender than Sappy Self Indulgence. And yet, SSI is nominated for 5 awards, including Video of the Year, while Self-Titled is only up for one (though it should be a very good contender for that one).

I generally think that trying to predict what people will like and make a video of it to win a contest is usually a futile exercise- I think people should make the videos that they want to see and want to make and want to see themselves. I would agree with several of the prior posts that if your heart is in your videos, people will see it. AMV making is a rather thankless hobby most of the time- "Get used to disappointment." Even the best creators have works they spend countless of hours on get panned at competitions. I think you have to have a fairly thick skin to do this and stay in it for any amount of time, because I can't think of anyone off-hand who has never missed with a video (and if there are any, just wait a little while...). If you make videos that you want to see and want to make- even if the rest of the world thinks it is a complete waste of the electrons used to display it, you'll still be able to enjoy it yourself. Plus, sometimes you'll surprise the audience and they'll see and like something they might have initially thought they wouldn't.

Though I haven't had the chance to download and watch the others, I DL'd and watched Kamikushida Overture as it was one of the other vids in the Ohayocon competition. It was a good video, and if the others (which I need to grab to check out before voting on the last few categories) are as good, I can't argue with your being nominated. I don't think you would have been ignored if this thread didn't exist, but we all worry about different things. Enough people thought to nominate you for Best New Creator- at least from the way I see it, you've already won- it's only the extent to which you've won that is still to be determined.
Bob 'Ash' Babcock
Electric Leech Productions

Ashton
Org Profile

Post by Ashton » Thu Feb 27, 2003 11:10 am

Ashyukun wrote:
Ashton wrote: You've got some really good numbers there, but really what I was counting on when I came in was the laziness factor. I thought that if someone was lazy and left blatant errors, that video would get paned, and I was expecting that to clear out the ballots for the most part. Only thing is, I'm finding out that no one cares, and that my most popular video took 15 hours to make, while the video that took me over 200 hours to make gets spit on. I was just wrong.
People are, by nature, Highly Illogical. And there may well be no consistency between what they like and what we creators think they will like. I don't think any of us can truly predict what people will like with much accuracy. Sure, there are some things that will usually get people's attention and be well received, and certain things that will generally piss people off (i.e., Linkball Z vids here). I seem to remember (though he may put me straight if I'm wrong) that Hsien/Kusoyaro expected Self-Titled to be more successful and more of a contender than Sappy Self Indulgence. And yet, SSI is nominated for 5 awards, including Video of the Year, while Self-Titled is only up for one (though it should be a very good contender for that one).

I generally think that trying to predict what people will like and make a video of it to win a contest is usually a futile exercise- I think people should make the videos that they want to see and want to make and want to see themselves. I would agree with several of the prior posts that if your heart is in your videos, people will see it. AMV making is a rather thankless hobby most of the time- "Get used to disappointment." Even the best creators have works they spend countless of hours on get panned at competitions. I think you have to have a fairly thick skin to do this and stay in it for any amount of time, because I can't think of anyone off-hand who has never missed with a video (and if there are any, just wait a little while...). If you make videos that you want to see and want to make- even if the rest of the world thinks it is a complete waste of the electrons used to display it, you'll still be able to enjoy it yourself. Plus, sometimes you'll surprise the audience and they'll see and like something they might have initially thought they wouldn't.

Though I haven't had the chance to download and watch the others, I DL'd and watched Kamikushida Overture as it was one of the other vids in the Ohayocon competition. It was a good video, and if the others (which I need to grab to check out before voting on the last few categories) are as good, I can't argue with your being nominated. I don't think you would have been ignored if this thread didn't exist, but we all worry about different things. Enough people thought to nominate you for Best New Creator- at least from the way I see it, you've already won- it's only the extent to which you've won that is still to be determined.
Bravo! Well said, and for once, completely devoid of anything in terms of a personal attack/senseless emotional argument. I generaly agree with what you said, not that I like it much. And I really have found most of that to be true in terms of my own expirience. And as I already said, I'm having tons of fun making/watching my own vids, but the point was that it doesn't have to end there. I didn't make them *exclusively* to please myself, just like I didn't make them exclusively for others. The entire argument, rather, revolves around my idea of competative attitude, and the fact that it seems like some people on the org have so demonized the concept of enjoying a competition *for* it's competetive value that they think it counter-artistic to want to win awards. You have seen my videos, am I really that bland? Are my videos so devoid of creativity that I should be labled and chastised for thinking them worthy of merit. I can't believe that anyone would think something wrong with taking pride in the videos I believe are my major tool of creative expression. You know what I am saying, so I don't have to say it again.
And really, my resolve has only been redoubled by this whole argument. I definately feel like expressing myself creatively, but I still believe that I will have fun by competing with everyone. I still want to win. I will still be disapointed by failure, in any degree, but that is just me.
All I can do is continue making videos that I enjoy, and that I think people will like, and eventually I figure I'm going to hit SOMETHING. *sigh* But weather that is 1 video away, or 10 I won't know until I get there.
オタク同士やろう! Ashton

Ashton
Org Profile

Post by Ashton » Thu Feb 27, 2003 11:12 am

FirestormXIII wrote:But the only reason that people even notice you now is because you're whining and pleading for someone to vote for you. Not the way I'd want to be remembered...

I'm also sure you've changed a few people's minds to the 'not voting for Ashton at all' category by your actions here. :?

/Deposits two cents
Well, I'm sorry to hear that you think that way. I've now heard more people taking me seriously just in this thread alone, than I have basicly in my entire AMV carrier. It is a step up IMO.
オタク同士やろう! Ashton

BishounenStalker
Org Profile

Post by BishounenStalker » Thu Feb 27, 2003 11:42 am

Look, Ashton, since you obviously can't take any sort of intelligent hint, I'll just spell it out for you:

YOU WON'T GET VOTES BY ANNOYING THE BLOODY SHIT OUT OF EVERYONE!

Which is exactly what you're doing by bitching and whining that you haven't won an award in your entire AMV "career" (it's not a career, it's a HOBBY) and BEGGING us to vote for you.

Grow the hell up. If you can't take the fact that not everyone thinks you're as worthy of an award as you do, DON'T FUCKING ENTER A CONTEST!

Sorry to get so riled, but if it's one thing I HATE, it's an attention whore.
-- Rachel the Demon, Resident Quoter of Obscure Nostalgia
"Great. He can pick his teeth when he's done with us!" - Marina, Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas
Current AMV: Somewhere On This Night

BishounenStalker
Org Profile

Post by BishounenStalker » Thu Feb 27, 2003 11:52 am

Ashton wrote: Bravo! Well said, and for once, completely devoid of anything in terms of a personal attack/senseless emotional argument. I generaly agree with what you said, not that I like it much. And I really have found most of that to be true in terms of my own expirience. And as I already said, I'm having tons of fun making/watching my own vids, but the point was that it doesn't have to end there. I didn't make them *exclusively* to please myself, just like I didn't make them exclusively for others. The entire argument, rather, revolves around my idea of competative attitude, and the fact that it seems like some people on the org have so demonized the concept of enjoying a competition *for* it's competetive value that they think it counter-artistic to want to win awards. You have seen my videos, am I really that bland? Are my videos so devoid of creativity that I should be labled and chastised for thinking them worthy of merit. I can't believe that anyone would think something wrong with taking pride in the videos I believe are my major tool of creative expression. You know what I am saying, so I don't have to say it again.
And really, my resolve has only been redoubled by this whole argument. I definately feel like expressing myself creatively, but I still believe that I will have fun by competing with everyone. I still want to win. I will still be disapointed by failure, in any degree, but that is just me.
All I can do is continue making videos that I enjoy, and that I think people will like, and eventually I figure I'm going to hit SOMETHING. *sigh* But weather that is 1 video away, or 10 I won't know until I get there.
Ok, you really ARE a fucking moron. Nobody ever said it isn't good to want to win awards. It is. But being an obsessive freak about it like you are isn't a great attitude. Having fun competing is one thing. Begging people to crown you the winner is a chocobo of another color. If you want it so bad, just try again next year like the rest of us! The reason we're attacking you is because this IS about your character. It's a bad reflection on you to create a thread solely for the purpose of whining that you haven't won anything and asking people to GIVE you an award instead of earning it yourself. I agree with Rozard. We should just buy you a damn trophy with your name on it. Maybe then you'll shut up.
-- Rachel the Demon, Resident Quoter of Obscure Nostalgia
"Great. He can pick his teeth when he's done with us!" - Marina, Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas
Current AMV: Somewhere On This Night

Rozard
Org Profile

Post by Rozard » Thu Feb 27, 2003 1:21 pm

Hehehe, I can't wait to meet you at MegaCon, Rachel :) The reason I made that comment is because that's what my belief towards trophies is. When I was in high school, our Marching Band had a whole bunch of trophies and awards. Along with other things in the band room (instruments, sheet music, music stands, etc.) we need to clear out space. The band director, without thinking, started to throw away a lot of the trophies and plaques. The students were in outrage! "Why are you throwing away all the rewards?!" His answer was that the important thing was that we had what it took to win the awards. That was the accomplishment, not the actual trophey. He told us that, if we wanted trophies, he'd go to the local tropey store and buy us each trophies. The point he was trying to make (and many didn't get) was that the award was essentially meaningless.

Also, from your earlier posts, I said something similar to that quote, I beleive. What you actually quoted sounds more like something Vlad would say. In regards to your take on my confusing post, you're pretty much right. It was late at night, and I couldn't compose my thoughts that well. I think what I was trying to say was the VCAs are essentially meaningless. They have no application in real life. What does apply to real life is the connections you make with people and the friends you could make if you would actually try. I've made a lot of great friends through this forum with whom I hold more conversation with on a daily basis that I do my own brother that lives 15 feet away from me. If you want people to vote for you, you should talk with people and make friends. You will get a backing that way, and some people that will help you. And when I mean help, I don't mean vote for you on an internet poll, I mean give suggestions for your videos, honestly critique them, defend you when shit goes down, call you on your birthday, etc.

The people on this board are very important. The videos made here are important, but not as important. The awards given to the videos mean next to nothing.
RichLather: We are guests of this forum, and as such we do not make the rules.
BishounenStalker The freedom to suck is what makes the Internet rock.

StealthVisions
Org Profile

pancakes rule

Post by StealthVisions » Thu Feb 27, 2003 1:54 pm

WE WANT MORE HEN FAP!!!!
::takes out his sack of hot nickels::

Return to “VCA Shameless Promotions 2003”