Region 0 <> Bootleg DVD

This forum is for informing everyone else about special deals on stuff to buy like DVDs, cheap hard drives, blank CDs on sale, etc.
TaranT
Org Profile

Region 0 <> Bootleg DVD

Post by TaranT » Fri May 13, 2005 2:48 am

I think this misconception needs to be corrected since it may deny the sale of some legitimate DVDs. First off, there is technically no such thing as region 0. What is usually meant is "all regions (1-6)". (More about that here.)

There are legally licensed DVDs that are tagged for "ALL" regions. As far as anime goes, the only ones that I know of are some older titles from Central Park Media (CPM) which includes U.S. Manga and Software Sculptors. For example (choosing three out of many):

Big Wars
A Wind Named Amnesia
Battle Skipper

There are other ways to identify bootleg anime DVDs. The definitive resource is The Pirate Anime FAQ.

Hitori
Org Profile

Post by Hitori » Fri May 13, 2005 12:08 pm

Yes, it is true that some of the earlier ones were legitimate All Region DVDs.
You have to look out for those that say they are US licensed and are Region 0 or All Region DVDs....
Especially with the ones out today.
TaranT wrote: There are other ways to identify bootleg anime DVDs. The definitive resource is The Pirate Anime FAQ.
The best resource to know if it is bootleg or not. People should use it as a supplement to shopping online.
ImageImage

NelTu
Org Profile

Post by NelTu » Mon May 23, 2005 12:01 pm

You guys do Know they sell bootleg anime at the mall 2?

NelTu
Org Profile

Post by NelTu » Mon May 23, 2005 12:06 pm

So... would you guys buy bootleg anime?

Chiikaboom
memes
Org Profile

Post by Chiikaboom » Wed Jun 22, 2005 3:42 pm

I recently bought Full Moon Boxsets, but the show is not liscenced, therefore, they are bootlegs. The subtitles are not... too bad, and the quality is awesome. The boxset artwork is also amazing. You can buy bootlegs in stores, but my boxset I ordered on ebay for 75$, which is way cheaper than any normal non-bootleg dvds. Not all bootlegs are horrible, but if the show is liscenced, I would buy the liscenced dvds.
Image ImageImage

peace28
Org Profile

Post by peace28 » Sat Jun 25, 2005 10:51 pm

just so u know i would check half.com b4 going to ebay. I bought both box sets of rourini kenshin(2 lazy to see if spelled right) for around 70 or 80 dollars.

Wario_Vs_Moo_Chicken
Org Profile

Post by Wario_Vs_Moo_Chicken » Mon Aug 15, 2005 1:55 am

I just bought me a Love Hina box set off of an Ebay store and if its fake:

http://weatherman.ytmnd.com/

mikestrife
Org Profile

Post by mikestrife » Wed Aug 17, 2005 9:55 pm

I think fake box set are easier to spot then single dvds because at least all the ones I've seen have similar packaging, a box that folds open that usually holds 3 discs for a 26 ep series, and has a plastic sleeve that goes over it.

Has anyone seen any bootleg boxes that look more official. IE an actual box the singles fit in?

RolltheStampede
Org Profile

Post by RolltheStampede » Fri Oct 14, 2005 8:48 am

mikestrife wrote:I think fake box set are easier to spot then single dvds because at least all the ones I've seen have similar packaging, a box that folds open that usually holds 3 discs for a 26 ep series, and has a plastic sleeve that goes over it.

Has anyone seen any bootleg boxes that look more official. IE an actual box the singles fit in?
Yeah there where and probobly still are some for naruto on ebay. I was like 1 flemsy box to hold like 3 bootleg boxes.

Here is a question is buying the bootlegs/downloaading fansubs ok if you bye the american releases when they comeout.
For example i watched trigun on fansub before i bought the american set
Newest Video:Cirque du Kaliedo
Video Pimpage Loves got to be there | Sungazing | 7 Seas of Enishi

Coderjo
Org Profile

Post by Coderjo » Sun Dec 04, 2005 6:27 pm

mikestrife wrote:I think fake box set are easier to spot then single dvds because at least all the ones I've seen have similar packaging, a box that folds open that usually holds 3 discs for a 26 ep series, and has a plastic sleeve that goes over it.

I have an official Tenchi Muyo OVA set that is packed as you describe. granted, it is only 13 episodes on those 3 discs.

Return to “Heads Up!”