Region 0 <> Bootleg DVD

This forum is for informing everyone else about special deals on stuff to buy like DVDs, cheap hard drives, blank CDs on sale, etc.
DaCoolGohan
Org Profile

Post by DaCoolGohan » Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:05 am

Real DVDs are way too expensive for some people. Or it takes some people, ie me, too long to buy all the Region 1 DVDs and some of them are really low quality compared to the R2s such as DBZ, Berserk etc.

minako18
Org Profile

Post by minako18 » Fri Feb 03, 2006 3:18 pm

You can always wait till they make a thin pack or plastic casing version of licensed anime.. like the post i made earlier about wedding peach.. it lowers the price.. instead of spending 90 - 150 dollars.. i have bought some bootlegs though too.. but now i try to buy licensed box sets.. more..

DaCoolGohan
Org Profile

Post by DaCoolGohan » Fri Feb 03, 2006 4:33 pm

minako18 wrote:You can always wait till they make a thin pack or plastic casing version of licensed anime.. like the post i made earlier about wedding peach.. it lowers the price.. instead of spending 90 - 150 dollars.. i have bought some bootlegs though too.. but now i try to buy licensed box sets.. more..

No they don't make thin packs or all of the anime out there only some and a lot of it takes a long time to come out. ie. Noir it was out for about 2 years before I finished the DVD set and I was one DVD away from completing it when they released the thin pack after collecting since it came out. You have to wait until they stop producing the first release for them to redo the packaging which can take a long time, such as with Xbox and PS2 games, Burnout 3 just came out with the Greatest hits in Xbox and it had been out since 04. It varies from company to company and anime.

Shador
Org Profile

Post by Shador » Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:49 pm

Most anime I have bought are bootleg - for the price thing.

Just now had my first bad experience. Outlaw Star. The subtitles were off-timed. (i.e. Gene would say something to Jim, but the sub for it would not appear until Jim was responding.) The dub track, though, is pretty good, so I, for the first time, am watching an Anime in the dubbed version.

Bootleg DVDs, in my experience have not been poor quality at all in the majority of cases. I have bought as bootlegs:

Trigun
Cowboy Bebop
Azumanga Daioh
Sailor Moon (Seasons 3-5 & all 3 movies)
Outlaw Star
Princess Nine
Last Exile

Only problem so far has been with Outlaw Star. Course, I haven't started Princess Nine yet. I did note that most of my good bootlegs (or maybe all) are by the "fx" bootlegers. Outlaw Star, though, is by the "Manga" bootlegers. That may have something to do with it too.

I have bought legit:

Sailor Moon (Seasons 1 & 2)
Cowboy Bebop Movie
Akira
Ah! My Goddess (OVA & Movie)
The Place Promised In Our Early Days
Princess Mononoke (sp?)
Castle in the Sky

My only disappointment was with ADVs release of Sailor Moon seasons 1 & 2 not having an English language track in addition to the japanese track. Plus you couldn't turn the subtitles off (which, I suppose goes hand-in-hand with no English track). I suppose this is because they would have had to redo the whole thing with voice actors (since the existing dub by DiC was horribly edited, and unusable with an unedited version of the show.)

Anyhoo, got a little off topic there. But yea. Honestly, I am thinking of saving up and buying legit copies of the stuff I own bootleg, if available.

But bootlegs are great if you don't have a lot of cash and want to see these great anime that all your friends are talking about. I tend to, as you see, buy movies legit, and series bootleg (since series are far more expensive).

dj_ultima_the_great
Org Profile

Post by dj_ultima_the_great » Tue Apr 18, 2006 9:47 pm

RolltheStampede wrote:Here is a question is buying the bootlegs/downloaading fansubs ok if you bye the american releases when they comeout.
For example i watched trigun on fansub before i bought the american set
Actually, I do that with pretty much every anime. Even if it's out, I still download it beforehand. As far as I'm concerned, if I'm not making AMVs with it, not burning it to a disc/DVD, and ultimately not keeping it, then it's no different than if I saw the series on television. My most recent example is Card Captor Sakura. I just was NOT going to buy an eighteen DVD series that I hadn't seen before (although I did eventually settle for the lesser-quality, slightly-questionable, but much cheaper ThinPak). It's not logical to waste my money on something I'm not sure I will like. However, I DID like CCS, and I bought it like a good girl. The same is true of many other anime series.

Although I can't speak for the legal end of things, I don't see any shame in it, nor do I think it's wrong.

- Jen

lovelypeachangel
Org Profile

Post by lovelypeachangel » Sat May 27, 2006 5:32 pm

do any of u watch wedding peach, fullmetal alchemist and naruto. i think they r cool. i really like it. :D :) :!: :wink: :P 8-) [/img][/code]

Return to “Heads Up!”