Panty and Stocking With Garterbelt DVD

This forum is for informing everyone else about special deals on stuff to buy like DVDs, cheap hard drives, blank CDs on sale, etc.
pan_dbgt01
Org Profile

Panty and Stocking With Garterbelt DVD

Post by pan_dbgt01 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:46 am

Panty and Stocking is set to be released by Funimation in July this year.

Beware it's a 2 disc DVD........(I bought Rosario+Vampire)

Anywho just thought I'd let people know :p

oldwrench
Org Profile

Re: Panty and Stocking With Garterbelt DVD

Post by oldwrench » Sun May 13, 2012 2:58 pm

Ya, you can pre order at rightstuf on a 40 percent off sale right now.
Where did you say I'm going?.... And what am I doing in a handbasket?

Come and join us on the tiny but fun forum at http://www.allanime.org

pan_dbgt01
Org Profile

Post by pan_dbgt01 » Mon May 14, 2012 1:02 am

oldwrench wrote:Ya, you can pre order at rightstuf on a 40 percent off sale right now.
I honeslty won't buy anything new from Funimation unless it's a Blu Ray. They cram way too many eps on to each disc. I see more interlacing than on my old DVDs.

NeoQuixotic
Master Procrastinator
Org Profile

Post by NeoQuixotic » Wed May 16, 2012 7:28 pm

Most US DVD sets have cut the amount of discs by half. Now I at first thought this meant more compression used per episode to fit on the fewer discs. However, after looking at a lot of new and old discs I've discovered most DVDs fit each episode into a single 1 GB VOB file. There was the rare occasion that an episode was spanned on a 1 GB and 100-300 MB additional VOB. But there was also some that had each episode as low as 700 MB each. Now filesize doesn't necessarily equal video quality, but it can be a tipoff. It seems that older DVD releases were nearly all single layer discs and new releases are dual layer discs.

So the half amount of discs released now makes logical sense. Now I wouldn't be surprised if some releases get over compressed, but I wouldn't be too concerned. I just checked Funimation's Rosario+Vampire DVD and all it needed was force film. You're either processing your files wrong or using a crappy player to watch the DVDs. If maximum quality is your concern import the R2s or wait for the Blu-rays.
Insert clever text/image here.

pan_dbgt01
Org Profile

Post by pan_dbgt01 » Tue May 22, 2012 12:23 pm

NeoQuixotic wrote:Most US DVD sets have cut the amount of discs by half. Now I at first thought this meant more compression used per episode to fit on the fewer discs. However, after looking at a lot of new and old discs I've discovered most DVDs fit each episode into a single 1 GB VOB file. There was the rare occasion that an episode was spanned on a 1 GB and 100-300 MB additional VOB. But there was also some that had each episode as low as 700 MB each. Now filesize doesn't necessarily equal video quality, but it can be a tipoff. It seems that older DVD releases were nearly all single layer discs and new releases are dual layer discs.

So the half amount of discs released now makes logical sense. Now I wouldn't be surprised if some releases get over compressed, but I wouldn't be too concerned. I just checked Funimation's Rosario+Vampire DVD and all it needed was force film. You're either processing your files wrong or using a crappy player to watch the DVDs. If maximum quality is your concern import the R2s or wait for the Blu-rays.
So is it my Blu Ray player that is the problem? I haven't tried to rip them yet. Also my old DVDs are single layered DVDs so they only hold 4.7 gigs.

NeoQuixotic
Master Procrastinator
Org Profile

Post by NeoQuixotic » Tue May 22, 2012 7:10 pm

pan_dbgt01 wrote:So is it my Blu Ray player that is the problem? I haven't tried to rip them yet. Also my old DVDs are single layered DVDs so they only hold 4.7 gigs.
Your player/TV must not be doing IVTC and/or just trying to just straight deinterlace the frames. I know at least when watching DVDs on my PC using my Nvidia video card as the hardware decoder it honors pulldown flags and gives me a clean progressive image. What are the models of your player and TV? I just tried playing Rosario+Vampire and Heaven's Lost Property with a crappy 8 year old Memorex DVD player via composite and it looked surprisingly decent. I saw some slight jaggies on the combed areas of the frame, but very watchable considering it was a composite signal. I'm assuming my TVs internal video processor handled the IVTC and/or deinterlacing. I even threw a straight .VOB on a flash drive to my TV and it played back with no combed frames/interlacing. I'm guessing your player/TV are either set up wrong or just have poor video processing.
Insert clever text/image here.

pan_dbgt01
Org Profile

Post by pan_dbgt01 » Fri May 25, 2012 2:54 am

NeoQuixotic wrote:
pan_dbgt01 wrote:So is it my Blu Ray player that is the problem? I haven't tried to rip them yet. Also my old DVDs are single layered DVDs so they only hold 4.7 gigs.
Your player/TV must not be doing IVTC and/or just trying to just straight deinterlace the frames. I know at least when watching DVDs on my PC using my Nvidia video card as the hardware decoder it honors pulldown flags and gives me a clean progressive image. What are the models of your player and TV? I just tried playing Rosario+Vampire and Heaven's Lost Property with a crappy 8 year old Memorex DVD player via composite and it looked surprisingly decent. I saw some slight jaggies on the combed areas of the frame, but very watchable considering it was a composite signal. I'm assuming my TVs internal video processor handled the IVTC and/or deinterlacing. I even threw a straight .VOB on a flash drive to my TV and it played back with no combed frames/interlacing. I'm guessing your player/TV are either set up wrong or just have poor video processing.
To be honest I never had as issue with any of my DVD players. It's probably all of the HD mumble jumble. We probably just have to play with the settings.

Return to “Heads Up!”