Need Help for an paper on Kevin Caldwell !

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
dwchang
Sad Boy on Site
Org Profile

Re: Need Help for an paper on Kevin Caldwell !

Post by dwchang » Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:51 pm

Kaiser Panda wrote:Thanks Dwchang & Kionon for the details !

I wondered if Hsien were really Kusoyaro, thanks to confirm it.

ErMac, Studio Hybrid, Armitage... What some wonderful names to my ears ! The good periode when I met AMVs for the first time... ^^ So, I can maybe also try with people like David Violence (where is he, too ? XD), Aluminium, Vlad G. Pohnert, Absolute Destiny or More Than Toast, right ?

And Koop, he doesn't know Sir Kenvin ? ^^°

See you !
I can guarantee Koop doesn't know Kevin. That was before his time (jbarely). As for the others you listed, I'm pretty sure More than Toast would also be no help (they also haven't been into AMVs for awhile so it'd be pretty weird to contact them in my opinion) and I'm not sure about Ian/Absolute Destiny. The others would probably be of some use.

Anyway good luck.
-Daniel
Newest Video: Through the Years and Far Away aka Sad Girl in Space

MimS
Baguette Master
Org Profile

Post by MimS » Sun Apr 05, 2009 4:29 am

Maybe we won't be able to do something KP :sweat:
In any case, thanks to everyone for your help.

Kaiser Panda
Org Profile

Post by Kaiser Panda » Sun Apr 05, 2009 4:31 am

What's the problem with you MimS ?

What could be have if we don't try anything, hummmmmmmmm ?? :nono:
AMV France

Kaiser Panda
Org Profile

Post by Kaiser Panda » Sun Apr 05, 2009 4:35 am

We can't edit posts, here ? o_O

Thanks for the details & the old adress, guys. I care of the rest.
AMV France

Niotex
The Phantom Canine
Org Profile

Post by Niotex » Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:46 pm

Beowulf wrote:rofl @ David Violence.

He is his own punch line.
I miss DV :|

outlawed
Org Profile

Post by outlawed » Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:20 am

The original poster is asking for factual information for an AMV history write-up. English is not his fluent language and several people are making a lot of side comments that will just confuse him.

I predict this thread will not end well.

Kaiser Panda
Org Profile

Post by Kaiser Panda » Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:11 am

Thanks a lot Outlawed to think about me, but it's OK ! I manage to do the difference between serious & bad trip (or not ? ^^).

I have collected some precious informations already, & I will begins the interviews demand soon. Be prepared, guys ! ^_^

Thanks again, it's kind from you ! :wink:

(Aren't you a K.C. knower, in case if ? ^^°
AMV France

Knowname
Org Profile

Post by Knowname » Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:26 am

outlawed wrote:The original poster is asking for factual information for an AMV history write-up. English is not his fluent language and several people are making a lot of side comments that will just confuse him.

I predict this thread will not end well.
Most people learn to read english before they learn to speak it... pretty interesting stuff, but just think of yourself (if your like me), you can maybe get by with a raw anime episode (no subs... I mean you may not understand it but you could pick out the odd phrase... if your like me- I guessed that in the original Shenmue 2 there was a crossdresser just by the way they refer to him :D) but if you were given a test on whether you really KNOW any Japanese you'd probably fail it. Has to do with putting everything together in your mind. You may be good at it, but it usually takes some practice, whereas if your given a head start IE hearing it or reading it it's much easier. In the test you'd be reading Japanese and translating, two different worlds.
If you do not think so... you will DIE

outlawed
Org Profile

Post by outlawed » Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:16 pm

Knowname wrote:Most people learn to read english before they learn to speak it... pretty interesting stuff, but just think of yourself (if your like me), you can maybe get by with a raw anime episode (no subs... I mean you may not understand it but you could pick out the odd phrase... if your like me- I guessed that in the original Shenmue 2 there was a crossdresser just by the way they refer to him :D) but if you were given a test on whether you really KNOW any Japanese you'd probably fail it. Has to do with putting everything together in your mind. You may be good at it, but it usually takes some practice, whereas if your given a head start IE hearing it or reading it it's much easier. In the test you'd be reading Japanese and translating, two different worlds.
Different skills/practice/study are required to read/write, listen, or hold conversation. I can listen to Japanese pretty well thanks to various circumstances. True story: I know everything I need to know about Japanese from a year of studies, reading ero manga, living with some people who spoke Japanese fluently, and watching KaraKuri's funniest English segments. I am a jack of all trades and master of none having studied Japanese, Spanish, German, and Russian for a semester or up to 2 years depending. This has resulted in me having an excellent listening ability for a 10 year old in several languages I'd wager.

My comment was directed to those taking the thread on a side track joking about Kevin after the comments of dick/douche that were posted with no factual evidence, background information, or anecdote to put that in context.

Back on topic now.

I never met Kevin Caldwell but having been a creator during his "peak" I'll say that in my opinion he is remembered mostly because he created fan popular videos that were repetitively copied by other AMV creators and he just disappeared. Fans then kept wanting more videos like the ones Kevin had been making. Obviously they never came. While the music "Sleep Now" may have been used by a lot of editors back in the day after a good video was made it was never copied to the extent that Engel or Believe were. We also had people basically copying the Engel video's concept of lip synch and trying to base whole videos off of just lip synch. Obviously a lot of those videos sucked. The problem is a lot of contests at the time were still voter driven and as you can imagine the slack jaw masses would eat this material up. This incensed some creators who did not like voter driven contests. Things changed greatly in the 2001-2002 era. You would probably find several editors if we went back in time that would be offended by someone writing a paper on Kevin because many at the time felt he was completely overrated. Make no mistake I would probably fall into that category back then. While Kevin did make a few incredible videos he didn't have the range in terms of anime or audio content of other contemporaries and he certainly did not have the amount of output spread over years that some other big time editors had. Based on my experiences as a creator and viewer in terms of influence I always felt Duane Johnson and Joe Croasdaile were a lot more instrumental or important in the mid to late 90s.

My comment about this thread will not end well is based on what usually happens with Kevin Caldwell threads. I feel the man was wise enough to get the hell away from the losers (certain anime fans) and lunatics (most of the people who thought Kevin was god). I think he made a wise choice

MaboroshiStudio
Org Profile

Post by MaboroshiStudio » Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:41 am

It is funny seeing this post... and I am the one that that didn't play nice with Kevin. I was of the same mindset as Outlaw and it wasn't that I didn't think Kevin was very talented. I just felt he catered to the fans a bit too much and would have liked to have seen him get out of his comfort zone.

I also felt like AX helped create the Kevin persona as I heard from people who were running the contest they put Kevin's videos last because they liked them effectively giving him the prime voting spot and hyped up the crowd for his videos. This is also why I became a big fan of AWA with the blind system.

I never got the impression he was a douche, but then again I only met him like 2 times and he never spoke much. It was funny at AX the second time I met him and we already had many a flame wars on the old amv group. I was sitting behind him at the pre-juding and when they brought up best technical / effects citing my video that won the previous year... the only issue was it didn't win which and Kevin started to shake his head. It is funny his last video made me gain a lot more respect for him (his Kodocha vid) and made me excited to see his videos again just like when I saw his EVA (classical) / Phantom videos at Acen for the first time.

In hindsight I wish I had the chance to talk to him and get to know him as pretty much everyone I started crap with in the old days I am friends with now. They all just know I liked to talk smack back then.

Doing a paper just on Kevin I think is wrong imho and really you should take a look at him as well as a lot of other great creators from the late 80s / early 90s. I have a special place in my heart for that time as that really propelled AMVs into what it is today in my humble opinion and it wasn't all on the back of Kevin Caldwell.
I never met Kevin Caldwell but having been a creator during his "peak" I'll say that in my opinion he is remembered mostly because he created fan popular videos that were repetitively copied by other AMV creators and he just disappeared. Fans then kept wanting more videos like the ones Kevin had been making. Obviously they never came. While the music "Sleep Now" may have been used by a lot of editors back in the day after a good video was made it was never copied to the extent that Engel or Believe were. We also had people basically copying the Engel video's concept of lip synch and trying to base whole videos off of just lip synch. Obviously a lot of those videos sucked. The problem is a lot of contests at the time were still voter driven and as you can imagine the slack jaw masses would eat this material up. This incensed some creators who did not like voter driven contests. Things changed greatly in the 2001-2002 era. You would probably find several editors if we went back in time that would be offended by someone writing a paper on Kevin because many at the time felt he was completely overrated. Make no mistake I would probably fall into that category back then. While Kevin did make a few incredible videos he didn't have the range in terms of anime or audio content of other contemporaries and he certainly did not have the amount of output spread over years that some other big time editors had. Based on my experiences as a creator and viewer in terms of influence I always felt Duane Johnson and Joe Croasdaile were a lot more instrumental or important in the mid to late 90s.

My comment about this thread will not end well is based on what usually happens with Kevin Caldwell threads. I feel the man was wise enough to get the hell away from the losers (certain anime fans) and lunatics (most of the people who thought Kevin was god). I think he made a wise choice
Knowname wrote:Most people learn to read english before they learn to speak it... pretty interesting stuff, but just think of yourself (if your like me), you can maybe get by with a raw anime episode (no subs... I mean you may not understand it but you could pick out the odd phrase... if your like me- I guessed that in the original Shenmue 2 there was a crossdresser just by the way they refer to him :D) but if you were given a test on whether you really KNOW any Japanese you'd probably fail it. Has to do with putting everything together in your mind. You may be good at it, but it usually takes some practice, whereas if your given a head start IE hearing it or reading it it's much easier. In the test you'd be reading Japanese and translating, two different worlds.
Different skills/practice/study are required to read/write, listen, or hold conversation. I can listen to Japanese pretty well thanks to various circumstances. True story: I know everything I need to know about Japanese from a year of studies, reading ero manga, living with some people who spoke Japanese fluently, and watching KaraKuri's funniest English segments. I am a jack of all trades and master of none having studied Japanese, Spanish, German, and Russian for a semester or up to 2 years depending. This has resulted in me having an excellent listening ability for a 10 year old in several languages I'd wager.

My comment was directed to those taking the thread on a side track joking about Kevin after the comments of dick/douche that were posted with no factual evidence, background information, or anecdote to put that in context.

Back on topic now.

Return to “General AMV”