So You Want To Be A *GOOD* Anime Music Video Editor?

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
Ryvannis
Org Profile

Re: So You Want To Be A *GOOD* Anime Music Video Editor?

Post by Ryvannis » Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:28 am

Being a good editor is difficult. It takes time and effort like any other hobby. Do a bit of research, look at the guides, and see what works for you. But if I really wanted to put something down. Even I don't consider myself a moderately good editor by the org standards.

However, take your time. Don't rush for a contest, you'll be shooting yourself in the foot in the long run. Seek honest criticism and fix what you believe needs to be fixed. Sample other videos with a similar anime or song combination and create your niche from there. See what works. Don't try to replicate what you see in them, I made that mistake a long time ago and I'm trying to not repeat it. To me, it's all about creativity and patience.

Uanime5
Org Profile

Post by Uanime5 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:57 am

If possible I'd recommend adding some information regarding song analysis, specifically regarding the number of characters in a song.

For example if a song about one person's life then using three different characters for the protagonist makes it harder to follow (especially if they're from three different anime). Using different characters to represent one character is like having multiple actors playing the same character in a TV show and having them randomly switch between scenes (though it does work if the character is meant to be transforming).

Another annoying thing is where the same character is used to play different characters in the song. While this can work for minor roles it can be confusing for some of the major ones. To use the TV show analogy it's like having multiple characters played by the same actor who makes no attempt to make any of the characters different.

xshiroy
Org Profile

Post by xshiroy » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:06 pm

OP info man..

If you're going to use large chunks of text and you don't know the basics of typography, then go and learn them.

This was the best parts for me XDD thanks for "sharing" that info XP
Im xshiroy! A designer and AMV maker! :D

FlamingMangos
Org Profile

Post by FlamingMangos » Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:36 pm

Personally I think what makes a AMV good is if it makes the viewer want to watch the anime because of your amv.

illninofan
Org Profile

Post by illninofan » Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:35 am

FlamingMangos wrote:Personally I think what makes a AMV good is if it makes the viewer want to watch the anime because of your amv.
This. I can't count how many times I've listened to a favorite song of mine, thought to myself "I wonder if someone made an AMV with this song" and then afterwards because the AMV was so good thought, "I gotta check this out."

FreeAMVs
Org Profile

Post by FreeAMVs » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:30 am

FlamingMangos wrote:Personally I think what makes a AMV good is if it makes the viewer want to watch the anime because of your amv.
Ether that or gives someone a new favorite song on their iPod :)

Okaketsu92
Org Profile

Post by Okaketsu92 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:26 am

This is very interesting read

Fishesgetstitches465
Org Profile

Post by Fishesgetstitches465 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:15 pm

Very nice! I've been inspired. :)

Ryvannis
Org Profile

Post by Ryvannis » Wed May 08, 2013 6:45 pm

Ryvannis wrote:Don't rush for a contest, you'll be shooting yourself in the foot in the long run.
Just quoting myself for the irony that happened with my entry for AX's AMV contest this year.

Animetube7
Org Profile

Post by Animetube7 » Sun May 19, 2013 8:25 pm

oh yes.. motivation is a huge one =)

Return to “General AMV”